Quantcast
How would you feel, if Sony traded the Spider-Man movie rights for a 15 year exclusivity deal of all Disney licensed games?

Forums - General Discussion - How would you feel, if Sony traded the Spider-Man movie rights for a 15 year exclusivity deal of all Disney licensed games?

CaptainExplosion said:
LordLichtenstein said:

If everything Star Wars, Marvel, Aliens, Simpsons etc. would be exclusive to Playstation for 15 years, how would that make you feel?

And do you think such deal is realistic?

It'd be nice, but ONLY if it means Venom and Carnage can be MCU villains.

Disney would get everything Spider-Man. :)

BasilZero said:
It'll be one step closer for Disney to buy Sony.

How so?

KLXVER said:
I think that would be bad for Sony tbh. Either they would make only like 5 licensed games in that time or have most of their developers making licensed games. No TLOU, Horizon, God Of War, Uncharted etc for the next 15 years.

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

You get the idea. :)

VGPolyglot said:
So way would Disney agree to that, why would they want to get into that deal?

To get full control of everything Marvel related. They aren't buying Sony anytime soon, so their only hope of regaining complete creative control of Spider-Man is to either buying the rights from Sony for a few billions or making this deal. 

mZuzek said:
That means I'd be missing out on the groundbreakingly awesome Guardians of the Galaxy we'll be getting one day (I can dream).

So no, not worth it.

Because you're an Xbox or PC gamer?

Smartie900 said:
It would be great. Disney sucks at making games and Sony sucks at making Spider - Man movies. Seems like a beneficial trade off to me.

Exactly



Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:  
KLXVER said:
I think that would be bad for Sony tbh. Either they would make only like 5 licensed games in that time or have most of their developers making licensed games. No TLOU, Horizon, God Of War, Uncharted etc for the next 15 years.

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

You get the idea. :)


 

It would hurt EA? I stand corrected. This should happen NOW!!!



Smartie900 said:
mZuzek said:
That means I'd be missing out on the groundbreakingly awesome Guardians of the Galaxy we'll be getting one day (I can dream).

So no, not worth it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a poor choice for a Telltale style of game. I think it would be better as third person, cooperative action game. I think it would be cool if Marvel gave a huge budget to a developer like Digital Extremes (developer of Warframe) to develop it. You could get James Gunn as a character supervisor and some decent comic book writer from Marvel to supervise the story of the game. It could be pretty cool.

I don't think it was a poor choice, because Telltale is probably what is most naturally suited to Guardians of the Galaxy - as in, you don't really need to change much structurally from the movies to make that kind of game out of it. Obviously I'd rather have a game with better writing and a more captivating story that wasn't trying to rip off the movie all the time (either do something admittedly into the movie's universe or something new, come on dudes), but all in all Telltale wasn't a bad choice... it just wasn't the best, either (or anywhere near). I'm not sure how I'd make an awesome GotG space adventure game, but I know I want it.

LordLichtenstein said:
mZuzek said:
That means I'd be missing out on the groundbreakingly awesome Guardians of the Galaxy we'll be getting one day (I can dream).

So no, not worth it.

Because you're an Xbox or PC gamer?

Is this bait? Nah, not taking it.



PC is my main platform so nah, even though PlayStation is my console of choice (at least for now).

Last edited by Zkuq - on 20 December 2017

This is not realistic.



Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
It would be great. Disney sucks at making games and Sony sucks at making movies. Seems like a beneficial trade off to me.

Fixed that. 😛



Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

No, because I'm still hoping for Kingdom Hearts on Switch.

Other than that I don't really care about Disney. Their old cartoons and movies are absolutely amazing and some of the Pixar movies are also pretty good, but I couldn't care less about Star Wars or superhero stuff.



You don't really need KH to be exclusive since Tetsuya Nomura is doing that for Sony. It's SE management going behind Nomura's back like in 2013 that's the problem.

All the KH games will come back to PlayStation. It's happened twice now in 2007 and now (aside from KH3 on Xbox).



LordLichtenstein said:

If everything Star Wars, Marvel, Aliens, Simpsons etc. would be exclusive to Playstation for 15 years, how would that make you feel?

And do you think such deal is realistic?

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

You get the idea. :)

I really don't see the benefit for either side in your proposed deal.  Disney/Marvel already have a deal in place with Sony for Spider-Man to (and already has) appear in the MCU.  And for Sony, the movie rights to Spider-Man is massively more valuable than the video games.  You're trading a movie franchise that makes 700million+ per outing before cable and home video distribution for video games that are going to be inherently less valuable because you are limiting them to a single platform (regardless of it being the largest).

For example:
Kingdom Hearts:  1/4 of total franchise sales came from Nintendo handhelds.
Star Wars Battlefront (2015):  1/3 of sales came from Xbox One

Then again, since EA has been pushing to transform Star Wars Battlefront into a pay to win online casino, if Sony wants exclusive rights to it, they can have it as far as I'm concerned.



Well that would be a mind blowingly stupid thing for Disney to do. Not happening.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995