Quantcast
Valve removes Japanese game from steam because its audience are Pedophiles, according to them

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve removes Japanese game from steam because its audience are Pedophiles, according to them

I really have no idea if this game is psychologically good or bad ... and neither does anyone else here, regardless of all the absolute and confident judgements.

"We think this novel’s core audience is pedophiles," is a meaningless non-answer, though. The core audience of Pokemon could be pedophiles, for all we know. Is the game sexually exploitative of children or not? That's the answer that matters.

One thing I'm sure of, though, is that Steam is way too powerful. They have far too much control over PC gaming and that needs to end. Valve can be crappy at times and there are too many people who get defensive over them like they're one of the console manufacturers instead of calling them out for it.



Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
TomaTito said:

I read it as something that was lost in translation when the word "like" was used.
But the email they wrote it said fond instead. A cultural misunderstanding?

Well, "fond of children" definitely doesn't give a good impression

No, "fond of children" gives a perfectly reasonable impression when taken literally.  It's only when you read it ironically that something menacing comes out it.  A common phrase in English is "I'm not fond of children", but people never use that to mean "I deny being a pedophile", just "I find children more annoying than adorable".  Someone who is clearly foreign to English is less likely to write something intended to be read in that way.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than a little racist.  It would be like some guy saying "I love cats!" and people think he loves to eat cats because he's from China or whatever.

Last edited by ebw - on 18 December 2017

Arminillo said:
Nautilus said:

But that is a tricky thing to judge.Where do you cross the line between people that are phedophiles, and ones that simply like the cute girl asthetic, without having any sexual connotation to it?(The same reasoning would apply to games and animes)

As long as there is no explicit sexual imagery or heavy suggestions of pedophily on the game, I say its fair game.Otherwise its just Valve censoring what is essentially, in my view, different takes on a subject due to different cultures.

But one thing I will agree with you is that this is Valve service.If they dont want it because they dont like it, then its their right to remove it.

Well, given that there are many games still on Steam with "cute girl aesthetic" I think we aren't talking about that. This is a game about a 4th grade teacher who, in the summary, sets up cameras in bathrooms to prey on his 4th grade class. But no, that's just "cute girl aesthetic"

The teacher is clearly the villain, as stated in the description. 

pokoko said: 
I really have no idea if this game is psychologically good or bad ... and neither does anyone else here, regardless of all the absolute and confident judgements. 

"We think this novel’s core audience is pedophiles," is a meaningless non-answer, though. The core audience of Pokemon could be pedophiles, for all we know. Is the game sexually exploitative of children or not? That's the answer that matters.

One thing I'm sure of, though, is that Steam is way too powerful. They have far too much control over PC gaming and that needs to end. Valve can be crappy at times and there are too many people who get defensive over them like they're one of the console manufacturers instead of calling them out for it.

 

I agree, people do like PC gaming is gonna die without steam or it was sh*t before valve came, its the complete opposite



StarOcean said:
It's Valve's website, what they say goes. Pedophilia should not be tolerated in any way. Honestly Valve should have had it to where they track this games purchases and report them to authorities. That being said, depends on how much you want controlled and regulated or not.

To which authorities, Japanese? Its totally legal in Japan to sell real hentai with underaged girls. This VN was rated 0 in Japan and is not Hentai yet it was banned worldwide on steam by valve.

OTBWY said:
It's Valve's platform, so they can do what they want. It's any studio's choice to put their game on there as well..

And i am free to complain about it



Ruler said:
Arminillo said:

Well, given that there are many games still on Steam with "cute girl aesthetic" I think we aren't talking about that. This is a game about a 4th grade teacher who, in the summary, sets up cameras in bathrooms to prey on his 4th grade class. But no, that's just "cute girl aesthetic"

The teacher is clearly the villain, as stated in the description. 

Uhh, the PRINCIPAL is the villain. The teacher is the hapless MC.



Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!


Around the Network
Ruler said:
StarOcean said:
It's Valve's website, what they say goes. Pedophilia should not be tolerated in any way. Honestly Valve should have had it to where they track this games purchases and report them to authorities. That being said, depends on how much you want controlled and regulated or not.

To which authorities, Japanese? Its totally legal in Japan to sell real hentai with underaged girls.

I am not suggesting that Valve should allow Hentai games, but this is rated 0 in Japan but it was banned worldwide. If you become such a monopoly like steam you cant just keep going after US law and apply the same standard for all games. 

Western countries have much lower tolerance for pedophilia than Japan. If you notice, there isnt much media about 4th grade girls controlling their teachers via their fetish in the US.



Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!


pokoko said:

One thing I'm sure of, though, is that Steam is way too powerful. They have far too much control over PC gaming and that needs to end. Valve can be crappy at times and there are too many people who get defensive over them like they're one of the console manufacturers instead of calling them out for it.

The thing is, is that Valve have no pwoer, in forcing devs to come to their store. Devs go to their store ebcause it has the most people using and buying from it.

The competition out there is doing hardly anything to lure devs to their stores. MS isn't doing much of anything to court devs to release a plethora of titles, both indie and AAA to their store (unless it's what they own). Ubisoft only sells a tiny handful of games (again, most of what they own), the same goes for origin. Battle.net sells only games that Blizzard/Activision own, as well as Bethesda.net. 

 

The only store out there, that actually sells multiple types of games that Steam has is GoG, and they primarily focus on retro games being fixed for modern OS's. They sell some indie titles, but they pick and choose a few to sell. The competition out there simply does not do enough to court devs to their stores. Valve is the only one out there that basically has the gates open for the majority of devs to sell from that storefront. They are even the store that fully supports the modding scene. GoG doesn't even have their own version of Steam workshop.

 

You cannot simply force a company to stop everything, and tell other devs to go to the other storefronts. That's not how it works. The other storefronts have to really put in 110% of the effort needed to court those devs and studios to their stores. 

 

I think Valve are shit when it comes to quality control for their store, but I'll give them a pat on the back for fully supporting the modding scene. The other storefronts are seemingly against modding games (GoG isn't against modding, but they don't support it the way Steam does).



                                       

Excuse my ignorance, but it seems like this is just a case of Steam wanting to save their reputation. I don't believe this game violates any laws (at least in the US). A game where you control a character that murders people isn't a crime, so by extension, this wouldn't be one either.



Arminillo said:
Ruler said:

The teacher is clearly the villain, as stated in the description. 

Uhh, the PRINCIPAL is the villain. The teacher is the hapless MC.

No read the description of the teacher profile it clearly states the girls/or one of the girls is the main heroine

Arminillo said:
Ruler said:

To which authorities, Japanese? Its totally legal in Japan to sell real hentai with underaged girls.

I am not suggesting that Valve should allow Hentai games, but this is rated 0 in Japan but it was banned worldwide. If you become such a monopoly like steam you cant just keep going after US law and apply the same standard for all games. 

Western countries have much lower tolerance for pedophilia than Japan. If you notice, there isnt much media about 4th grade girls controlling their teachers via their fetish in the US.

Ohh really have you ever read some famous western books? Which is what VNs essentially are.

There is also much less emphasis in Japan to play around with intestines, but it doesnt stop Sony or Nintendo to have these games on their store for western regions. 



Arminillo said:
Nautilus said:

But that is a tricky thing to judge.Where do you cross the line between people that are phedophiles, and ones that simply like the cute girl asthetic, without having any sexual connotation to it?(The same reasoning would apply to games and animes)

As long as there is no explicit sexual imagery or heavy suggestions of pedophily on the game, I say its fair game.Otherwise its just Valve censoring what is essentially, in my view, different takes on a subject due to different cultures.

But one thing I will agree with you is that this is Valve service.If they dont want it because they dont like it, then its their right to remove it.

Well, given that there are many games still on Steam with "cute girl aesthetic" I think we aren't talking about that. This is a game about a 4th grade teacher who, in the summary, sets up cameras in bathrooms to prey on his 4th grade class. But no, that's just "cute girl aesthetic"

Buts that just given, as far as I understood, as a context for the overall plot.The teacher is a phedophile(or something along those lines) and the girls, who are the heroines, are trying to stop him.But if Im not mistaken, at no point in the game images of naked children are shown, or anything of the sort.The game seems to be trying to tell a story of abuse inside the school.

Take away the cute girls, the VN style of game, and have more realistic graphics, but with the same story.Would the game still be innapropriate?Thats the issue here.