Quantcast
Amazon just bought the TV rights to "Lord of the Rings"

Forums - Movies Discussion - Amazon just bought the TV rights to "Lord of the Rings"

DonFerrari said:
I also would like they to buy and make a series for Harry Potter and finally have a good representation. LotR already got a very good representation.

That might actually be much more difficult (if even possible) considering there's already a bunch of Harry Potter films in the works. They probably wouldn't want any interference with them. LOTR at the moment is pretty dead outside video games, so it's not really going to distract/interfere with anything.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

Oh wonderful, it's set between LOTR and the Hobbit. Where all your fantasy writers go who want to write their own original story but don't want to put in the leg work to build up their own fantasy world. Faaaantastic. Brace yourself for more apocryphal works that are completely out of sync with the worldview and tone of the original text and may or may not drift into bad fan fiction territory.



DonFerrari said:
I also would like they to buy and make a series for Harry Potter and finally have a good representation. LotR already got a very good representation.

Gotta agree here. Would be pretty dope to just follow a group of kids as the go through Hogwarts or even one of the other wizarding schools, maybe in a different time period from what we're used to. Sometime between Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter timeline wise would be pretty good.

Or a crime drama of sorts following a group of Aurors as they track down magical criminals. So much potential in the HP universe for good shows. 



Nuvendil said:
Oh wonderful, it's set between LOTR and the Hobbit. Where all your fantasy writers go who want to write their own original story but don't want to put in the leg work to build up their own fantasy world. Faaaantastic. Brace yourself for more apocryphal works that are completely out of sync with the worldview and tone of the original text and may or may not drift into bad fan fiction territory.

Ha. Well put. As somebody who burnt out on the movie series with the original trilogy, I can't wait to be aware that this show exists while I rearrange my sock drawer.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

COKTOE said:
Nuvendil said:
Oh wonderful, it's set between LOTR and the Hobbit. Where all your fantasy writers go who want to write their own original story but don't want to put in the leg work to build up their own fantasy world. Faaaantastic. Brace yourself for more apocryphal works that are completely out of sync with the worldview and tone of the original text and may or may not drift into bad fan fiction territory.

Ha. Well put. As somebody who burnt out on the movie series with the original trilogy, I can't wait to be aware that this show exists while I rearrange my sock drawer.

The original trilogy was at least mostly faithful in spirit, teleporting elf armies and invincible undead army plotholes not withstanding.  Though they did pound some characters flat enough to fit under a door (*cough*Denethor*cough*).  But the Hobbit though was a travesty, especially the last film with it's ludicrous action set pieces that would make Michael Bay blush, shameless "let's sell toys!" creatures, plotholes galore, even more time devoted to the most forgettable love triangle in film history, nonsensical battle flow, horrific CGI, and slow motion abuse approaching early 2000s levels, all of which conspired to make a 2 hour and 24 minute film feel like a 3 hour and 30 minute slog.  

Last edited by Nuvendil - on 13 November 2017

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
COKTOE said:

Ha. Well put. As somebody who burnt out on the movie series with the original trilogy, I can't wait to be aware that this show exists while I rearrange my sock drawer.

The original trilogy was at least mostly faithful in spirit, teleporting elf armies and invincible undead army plotholes not withstanding.  Though they did pound some characters flat enough to fit under a door (*cough*Denethor*cough*).  But the Hobbit though was a travesty, especially the last film with it's ludicrous action set pieces that would make Michael Bay blush, shameless "let's sell toys!" creatures, plotholes galore, even more time devoted to the most forgettable love triangle in film history, nonsensical battle flow, horrific CGI, and slow motion abuse approaching early 2000s levels, all of which contrived to make a 2 hour and 24 minute film feel like a 3 hour and 30 minute slog.  

I spent all of 10 minutes watching The Hobbit, and was blindsided by the inferior special effects as they compared to their almost decade-old predecessors. As to the rest, I'll take your word for it. :)



Chinese food for breakfast

 

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:
I also would like they to buy and make a series for Harry Potter and finally have a good representation. LotR already got a very good representation.

Gotta agree here. Would be pretty dope to just follow a group of kids as the go through Hogwarts or even one of the other wizarding schools, maybe in a different time period from what we're used to. Sometime between Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter timeline wise would be pretty good.

Saved by the Bell...with wizards



Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!


Nuvendil said:
Oh wonderful, it's set between LOTR and the Hobbit. Where all your fantasy writers go who want to write their own original story but don't want to put in the leg work to build up their own fantasy world. Faaaantastic. Brace yourself for more apocryphal works that are completely out of sync with the worldview and tone of the original text and may or may not drift into bad fan fiction territory.

it's probably why I seriously dislike fiction and prefer nonfiction most of the time. 

 

I enjoy writing, and I fail to see why everyone needs to resort to the same structures we've seen countless amounts of times. My writing isn't amazing, but in all honesty I'll easily prefer reading online novels if they have a level of originality that stands out from the rest.

 

I've seen too many people start their first book with some huge, MAGICAL world clearly ripping off a classic. With the forced 'complex' language and weirdass additions, it truly does make a lot of writing look like garbage fan fiction. 



The original trilogy was really good. The Hobbit movies were okay. The recent Shadow of War stuff is gross. Would be interested if it has vibe of the first movies and maybe the first Hobbit movie. Less violence would be nice.



just hope to god they don't milk the LOTR name with a bunch of crap TV series. the Hobbit films were bad enough as far as a company milking a beloved story