Quantcast
PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 18 6.69%
 
NSW will win by a small margin 59 21.93%
 
PS4 will win by a small margin 70 26.02%
 
PS4 will win by a huge margin 115 42.75%
 
Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 7 2.60%
 
Total:269
Miyamotoo said:
quickrick said:

switch year one will be its best, because its releasing all it's big franchises, and because excluding the wii. nintendo home consoles since the 3d era sell there best  the first year. 

This statement is wrong in every way, first Nintendo did not released all its big franchises, second Switch is not home console its a hybrid, and at end Switch will without problem surprise first year on market especially because most of first year Switch is supply constrained.

 

quickrick said: 

i don't see anything touching this year for a few reasons. they released there next console and handheld, and nintendo home consoles typically sell best in there first year in the 3d era with exception being the wii. so that will give a nice boost over 3ds sales this year, then you have the highest rated zelda game since OOT, highest rated mario ever, mario kart, and splatton 2 which is a phenomena in japan, the majority of nintedo fans would have already picked up or wanna pick a switch  this year, but well see ill happily eat crow.

But you do realise that Switch most of this year (and still is Japan) was hevily suply contrained, you do realise that Switch isn't home console that is handheld in same time (hybrid), you do realise that Switch will have big system seller games in folowing years also, and you do realise that not only Nintendo fans are buying Switch and that with time more and more people that are not typical Nintendo fans will bouth Switch!?

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.



Around the Network
quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

This statement is wrong in every way, first Nintendo did not released all its big franchises, second Switch is not home console its a hybrid, and at end Switch will without problem surprise first year on market especially because most of first year Switch is supply constrained.

 

But you do realise that Switch most of this year (and still is Japan) was hevily suply contrained, you do realise that Switch isn't home console that is handheld in same time (hybrid), you do realise that Switch will have big system seller games in folowing years also, and you do realise that not only Nintendo fans are buying Switch and that with time more and more people that are not typical Nintendo fans will bouth Switch!?

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

So do you think Nintendo fans alone bought 70 million 3DS consoles? Or do you think 3DS actually had better third party support than Switch?



StarDoor said:
quickrick said:

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

So do you think Nintendo fans alone bought 70 million 3DS consoles? Or do you think 3DS actually had better third party support than Switch?

we are in different times, handheld market was  huge, lastgen we saw it go from 230 million to 85 million. I believe it will continue to decline because of mobile entertainment/gaming being much bigger now, 3ds best years was the best sales wise. while the second year was close, then it started slowing down.



quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

This statement is wrong in every way, first Nintendo did not released all its big franchises, second Switch is not home console its a hybrid, and at end Switch will without problem surprise first year on market especially because most of first year Switch is supply constrained.

 

But you do realise that Switch most of this year (and still is Japan) was hevily suply contrained, you do realise that Switch isn't home console that is handheld in same time (hybrid), you do realise that Switch will have big system seller games in folowing years also, and you do realise that not only Nintendo fans are buying Switch and that with time more and more people that are not typical Nintendo fans will bouth Switch!?

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

You must have missed it when Ubisoft, Take-Two, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and dozens of indies have talked about their games doing well on Switch thus far.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ryng_Tolu said:

I already explained what i mean, don't know how people still don't understand.

That user was talking about weekly sales, not yearly sales. My point is that, for the next 3 years, there are gonna be A LOT of weeks where Switch sells double or quadruple than PS4, and of course 2018 and 2020 will be very difference, 2018 will see some x2 weeks, 2020 will see many others x4 or x5 weeks.

Overall, i never said YEARLY sales will be double or quadruple. For 2018, just for be clear, i expect 25 million Switch and 18 million units PS4, so nothing close to double.

Oh, indeed I misunderstood your previous post and missed your other answers. These kind of differences in weekly sales is reasonable. I would also not be surprised with PS4 doing 18M next year. I do, however, think that Switch doing 25M next year is a bit far fetched since it would have to break the record of the Wii and that would not even be its peak year. But I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells PS4 in 2018. Only after Nintendo figures out their stock issues we will be able to predict it.

And even if it did, it would have to beat PS4 in the long run and legs tend to favor Sony a lot. But I think these two will have comparable sales, probably sitting on the same tier in your initial post.



Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

You must have missed it when Ubisoft, Take-Two, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and dozens of indies have talked about their games doing well on Switch thus far.

ubi soft got huge sales thanks to using using the mario franchise. what else sold? dragonball sold ok, and street fighter did good, but i'm talking about games that can do 2-3 million, your talking about 2-500k titles which is nothing, compared games like destiny, COD, wildlands, fifa, madden, ass creed origins. has a third party game even crossed a million on switch yet.  

Last edited by quickrick - on 13 November 2017

ps4 prob, but xbox one x will outsell both



Ryng_Tolu said:

I already explained what i mean, don't know how people still don't understand.

That user was talking about weekly sales, not yearly sales. My point is that, for the next 3 years, there are gonna be A LOT of weeks where Switch sells double or quadruple than PS4, and of course 2018 and 2020 will be very difference, 2018 will see some x2 weeks, 2020 will see many others x4 or x5 weeks.

Overall, i never said YEARLY sales will be double or quadruple. For 2018, just for be clear, i expect 25 million Switch and 18 million units PS4, so nothing close to double.

Oh.. Well in that case your prediction is quite conservative... I think it's going to be easy and fairly frequent for Switch to outsell random PS4 weeklies by 200%-300% in 2019 and later. But It might be rare in 2018 to even double PS4 sales on an individual week.

My bad, it just sounded like you were talking about the weekly average range over 3 years.



quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

You must have missed it when Ubisoft, Take-Two, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and dozens of indies have talked about their games doing well on Switch thus far.

ubi soft got huge sales thanks to using using the mario franchise. what else sold? dragonball sold ok, and street fighter did good, but i'm talking about games that can do 2-3 million, your talking about 2-500k titles which is nothing, compared games like destiny, COD, wildlands, fifa, madden, ass creed origins. has a third party game even crossed a million on switch yet.  

Please show me all these 3rd party games that had sold 2-3 million when PS4 sales were around 7 million.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

ubi soft got huge sales thanks to using using the mario franchise. what else sold? dragonball sold ok, and street fighter did good, but i'm talking about games that can do 2-3 million, your talking about 2-500k titles which is nothing, compared games like destiny, COD, wildlands, fifa, madden, ass creed origins. has a third party game even crossed a million on switch yet.  

Please show me all these 3rd party games that had sold 2-3 million when PS4 sales were around 7 million.

COD, ass creed, fifa, and battle field 4, almost every big franchise sold great or went on to do over 2 million, it doesn't matter how big the user base will get all those games that you think  sold great have probably reached there limit in sales.