Quantcast
The "my" first VR experience

Forums - Sony Discussion - The "my" first VR experience

Mandalore76 said:
I played around with PSVR at a friend's house first. I thought it was okay, but nothing mind blowing. Nothing that I felt any "must have" urge to purchase for myself, or even rush back to my friend's house for more. I wasn't completely fascinated with VR until I got the Oculus Rift a couple of months later. My wife and I were instantly wowed just by the introductory tech demo "First Contact" and have been by several other VR games since (VR Sports Challenge, Everest VR, Wilson's Heart, Robo Recall, etc). I brought over the same friend and his wife who showed me their PSVR, and they were amazed as well. I've heard people say that the difference between the two isn't a big deal, but I disagree. My friend's wife, while playing the Rift even exclaimed that the difference was "night and day". While playing "Wilson's Heart", she literally jumped and reacted to several of the jump scares, which my friend says she never does with any other medium. Since they own a PS4 and spent a lot more time with PSVR than I did, I considered that a very good testimonial. It was also very satisfying to see my uncle, who is not a video game guy, get completely immersed in it when he came over for a visit.

 I played Vive and PSVR.

I didn't notice the graphics difference between both.



Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Mandalore76 said:
I played around with PSVR at a friend's house first. I thought it was okay, but nothing mind blowing. Nothing that I felt any "must have" urge to purchase for myself, or even rush back to my friend's house for more. I wasn't completely fascinated with VR until I got the Oculus Rift a couple of months later. My wife and I were instantly wowed just by the introductory tech demo "First Contact" and have been by several other VR games since (VR Sports Challenge, Everest VR, Wilson's Heart, Robo Recall, etc). I brought over the same friend and his wife who showed me their PSVR, and they were amazed as well. I've heard people say that the difference between the two isn't a big deal, but I disagree. My friend's wife, while playing the Rift even exclaimed that the difference was "night and day". While playing "Wilson's Heart", she literally jumped and reacted to several of the jump scares, which my friend says she never does with any other medium. Since they own a PS4 and spent a lot more time with PSVR than I did, I considered that a very good testimonial. It was also very satisfying to see my uncle, who is not a video game guy, get completely immersed in it when he came over for a visit.

 I played Vive and PSVR.

I didn't notice the graphics difference between both.

Perhaps because you aren't trying to prove one is better.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

 I played Vive and PSVR.

I didn't notice the graphics difference between both.

Perhaps because you aren't trying to prove one is better.

I'm honest.



DonFerrari said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

 I played Vive and PSVR.

I didn't notice the graphics difference between both.

Perhaps because you aren't trying to prove one is better.

You asked for personal account of 1st VR experience, and accounts of watching others use for the first time.  I gave my completely honest first impressions of 2 platforms, and a comparison experience of watching other people who have used both as well.   



My first real VR experience was PlayStation VR Worlds and my mind immediately exploded. It was amazing. Before that, I'd tried using cheap cell phone VR teach and I was expecting more of that. With PSVR, it was like I could reach out and touch stuff.... And when I reached out, I could almost touch stuff. It reached in my hands as if it was real.

What I played first, I don't remember. That first day was just a blur of sharks, gunfire, Batarangs, zombies, and happiness.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Then I played PSVR Summer Lesson.

It was very short .

With an explosive Finish




Twitter @CyberMalistix

I have video footage somewhere of that PlayStation underwater exploration "game" making my sister cry. Also my wife flung it off of her head and yelled "Get this thing off of me!!" in terror.

That's what I start everybody with.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps because you aren't trying to prove one is better.

I'm honest.

That is a good trait

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps because you aren't trying to prove one is better.

You asked for personal account of 1st VR experience, and accounts of watching others use for the first time.  I gave my completely honest first impressions of 2 platforms, and a comparison experience of watching other people who have used both as well.   

Except yours totally looked as "PSVR was very underwhelming and boring while Rift is totally fantastic'' PC Master Race FTW.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I'm honest.

That is a good trait

Mandalore76 said:

You asked for personal account of 1st VR experience, and accounts of watching others use for the first time.  I gave my completely honest first impressions of 2 platforms, and a comparison experience of watching other people who have used both as well.   

Except yours totally looked as "PSVR was very underwhelming and boring while Rift is totally fantastic'' PC Master Race FTW.

I do play some games on PC, but I invest way more of my time and money into console gaming.  So, I had no premeditated reason not to be blown over by PSVR upon first trying it months before that.  I just wasn't.  That's my personal opinion.  I only impulse bought the Rift after the price drop announcement this summer and confirming that the only upgrade my PC would require to run it was a graphics card.  I didn't say PSVR was boring, obviously I haven't played many of the games.  But, my first experience with it did not suck me in the way the Rift did right off the bat.  You asked for first impressions, so I gave mine.  Somehow I got construed as "dishonest" for relaying my personal opinion that differed from someone elses.



My first VR experiences were Resident Evil 7 and Farpoint at GamesCom 2016: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=219648&page=1

After that I bought the PSVR day one and added an Oculus Rift this summer.

My favorite VR games so far:

  • Resident Evil 7: biohazard  (PSVR)
  • Alien Isolation (PC VR mod)
  • Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian Demo (PC VR)
  • Rez Infinite  (PSVR)
  • Robo Recall  (Oculus)
  • Farpoint + Aim-Controller  (PSVR)
  • Wilson's Heart  (Oculus)
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood  (PSVR)
  • FORM  (Oculus)
  • DOOM 3: BFG Edition (PC VR mod)
  • Esper 1 + 2  (Oculus)
  • Portal Stories: VR  (Oculus)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront - X-Wing VR-Mission  (PSVR)
  • The Lab  (Oculus)
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew  (PSVR)
  • Batman Arkham VR  (PSVR)
  • Eagle Flight  (PSVR)