Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Turns One: One Million Gamers And Counting

Chrizum said:
VR at the moment is just a gimmick. A cool one, having played around with PS4's VR a bit. But the graphics take a huge dive

Looks fine to me. Probl not as good as uncharted 4, but definitly better then anything that is on PS3, Xbox 360 or Nintendo Switch. The Pro als enhances the graphics alot, so for those that think graphics are important, there is a option.

Chrizum said:
you get headaches and nausea 

Most people get used to that and wont have problems anymore after like 1 or 2 weeks.

Chrizum said:
social coach multiplayer is impossible



Around the Network
habam said:
Chrizum said:
VR at the moment is just a gimmick. A cool one, having played around with PS4's VR a bit. But the graphics take a huge dive

Looks fine to me. Probl not as good as uncharted 4, but definitly better then anything that is on PS3, Xbox 360 or Nintendo Switch. The Pro als enhances the graphics alot, so for those that think graphics are important, there is a option.

Chrizum said:
you get headaches and nausea 

Most people get used to that and wont have problems anymore after like 1 or 2 weeks.

Chrizum said:
social coach multiplayer is impossible

Yeah those commercials really don't do it for me.

It's personal preference of course, but I have fond memories of playing Borderlands, Gears of War and Diablo couch co-op with a friend, drinking a beer, eating snacks, talking and making jokes. VR would really dampen the fun. It's more of an isolated experience where you want to get immersed in the game. But then the graphics are just way worse in VR.

It's just not there yet. Maybe in 5 years.





PSN: Chrizum

Thats actually quite high for something so expensive and with one killer app in RE7.

habam said:
ironmanDX said:

You should probably read the whole thread again and reassess your post. It is more than a million but not by much.

you should read my post again, its basically confirmed to hit 2 mio soon.

Andrew House basically confirmed that PS VR is screwed:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-26-sony-wishes-playstation-vr-had-stronger-competition



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes

RolStoppable said:
habam said:

you should read my post again, its basically confirmed to hit 2 mio soon.

Andrew House basically confirmed that PS VR is screwed:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-26-sony-wishes-playstation-vr-had-stronger-competition

"Through June of 2017, tracking firm Superdata put the PSVR installed base at more than 1.8 million headsets"

 

Seems plausible, even if superdata way off on other predictions.

 

Also: "an "unmatched" lead over the other headsets on the market."

 

Totally screwed lol



habam said:
RolStoppable said:

Andrew House basically confirmed that PS VR is screwed:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-26-sony-wishes-playstation-vr-had-stronger-competition

"Through June of 2017, tracking firm Superdata put the PSVR installed base at more than 1.8 million headsets"

Seems plausible, even if superdata way off on other predictions.

Also: "an "unmatched" lead over the other headsets on the market."

Totally screwed lol

Critical thinking is required here.

Why would any company desire more competition in the market? After all, competition cuts into profit margins.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes

habam said:

"Through June of 2017, tracking firm Superdata put the PSVR installed base at more than 1.8 million headsets"

Seems plausible, even if superdata way off on other predictions.

1.8 million are only plausible if Sony's PR is run by morons.

If 1.8 million in June were true, they should be at 1.9 million or more by now... who would advert that as "one million-plus gamers" instead of "almost two million gamers"?



Conina said:
habam said:

"Through June of 2017, tracking firm Superdata put the PSVR installed base at more than 1.8 million headsets"

Seems plausible, even if superdata way off on other predictions.

1.8 million are only plausible if Sony's PR is run by morons.

If 1.8 million in June were true, they should be at 1.9 million or more by now... who would advert that as "one million-plus gamers" instead of "almost two million gamers"?

do you think the average human/gamer would see any diffeence in "one million plus" and "almost two millions" ?

A million sounds like alot, doesnt really matter if its 1, 2 or 5 million.

Everybody that has no idea about video game system sales just doesnt care. Go to the street and ask random people how many ps4's got sold by sony. You can even go to gamestop to make sure the people you ask are at least gamer. You will most likely get results from thousands to billions just because 99% of the gamers have no clue whats "many".  Im pretty sure outside of video game sales communities and really hardcore forums on the internet, nobody cared about that 1 mio statement at all. 

A million sounds to the just as much as 2 or 5 millions do for the vast majortiy of the people. This was no analyst briefing but a marketing trailer to the average people. More then a million just sounds great and "almost to million" wouldnt change anything and would likely not sound as good. Thats most likely it.

From a marketing perspective, "more then XX" does in most cases sound better then "almost 2XX", because "more then" indicated that they have exceeded their expectations and "almost" that hey havnt reached their goals.

 

Just compare it to other stuff you might not be as dedicated to.

Like phones. Do you know how many iPhones apple has sold? Or how many phones samsung has sold? 50 Mio? 100 Mio? 500 Mio? Would you really care about the difference in an advertisement?

Or cars. How many cars has Toyota sold last year ? A million? 10 Million? 50 Million? Would you care about the difference in an advert?



RolStoppable said:

Why would any company desire more competition in the market? After all, competition cuts into profit margins.

The PSVR has no real competition though. Most people dont own a PS4 and a High End Gaming PC. So for most of the 60mio+ people that own a ps4, the psvr will be the only choise anyway.

Strong competition on PC would still be good to boot cross plattform software output. It wouldnt cut psvr sales but increase them even further.



Around the Network
habam said:
RolStoppable said:

Why would any company desire more competition in the market? After all, competition cuts into profit margins.

The PSVR has no real competition though. Most people dont own a PS4 and a High End Gaming PC. So for most of the 60mio+ people that own a ps4, the psvr will be the only choise anyway.

Strong competition on PC would still be good to boot cross plattform software output. It wouldnt cut psvr sales but increase them even further.

If you say so, umpteenth account of JNK/gamemaster87.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes