Quantcast
September 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

DaveTheMinion13 said:
Switch and PS4 must still be neck and neck, been like that since April. If Switch is killing it, than Xbox One and PS4 were serial killers when they launched

Well, they launched during the Holidays, and PS4 didn’t have a simultaneous global launch so it had more stock set aside for the US, but sure?

PS4 really took off in September with Destiny but Switch certainly seems to be holding its own compared to XBO. There’s no need to put XBO sales on ‘another level’ compared to Switch. Look at XBO numbers May, June, July, August, September 2014. Switch is beating it every month. In its strongest market!



Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
tbone51 said:

Why cuz it lost? Switch wasnt that bad with supply, maybe both did good?

apparently being the best year of PS4 is a weak performance.

Do you have evidence that PS4 is up YoY?



ryuzaki57 said:
DonFerrari said:

apparently being the best year of PS4 is a weak performance.

Do you have evidence that PS4 is up YoY?

Yes we do. Look to past Boultros NPDs or some VGC articles. In one of those on the last month PS4 was slightly ahead YoY for cumulative sales.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

ryuzaki57 said:
DonFerrari said:

apparently being the best year of PS4 is a weak performance.

Do you have evidence that PS4 is up YoY?



I see. So definitely closer to 300K for Switch by that logic. What was WiiU LTD in the US?

Also, I don't see the usual top 10 rankings, even on GAF. Are those not communicated anymore?



Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
I see. So definitely closer to 300K for Switch by that logic. What was WiiU LTD in the US?

Also, I don't see the usual top 10 rankings, even on GAF. Are those not communicated anymore?

NPD seems to have delayed some info.  So expect rankings on Monday.

And do you mean the current LTD or LTD up to the week number the Switch is at?

Total LTD:  5.69 million

LTD at 26 weeks (I think I have this right):  1.168 million

 



ryuzaki57 said:
I see. So definitely closer to 300K for Switch by that logic. What was WiiU LTD in the US?

Also, I don't see the usual top 10 rankings, even on GAF. Are those not communicated anymore?

So the ps4/switch can both do well anf coexist with each other right?



I think we can say in the USA switch is doing very well, especially considering its price. But if the PS4 is close, I think we can also say that its doing very well considering its 4 odd years old.

So what I am saying is both Switch and PS4 are killing it, the less said about Xbox probably the better. The XBX will see an upturn for at least November, but will the XBX turn out to be the new console for MS or just a Pro and a console that adds to sales, if its the latter they have massive problems because the XBS is not doing that great right now.



Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
I think we can say in the USA switch is doing very well, especially considering its price. But if the PS4 is close, I think we can also say that its doing very well considering its 4 odd years old.

So what I am saying is both Switch and PS4 are killing it, the less said about Xbox probably the better. The XBX will see an upturn for at least November, but will the XBX turn out to be the new console for MS or just a Pro and a console that adds to sales, if its the latter they have massive problems because the XBS is not doing that great right now.

This has consistently been it's best year thus far.  So it's not just doing well "considering."  It's doing really well. 



DaveTheMinion13 said:
Slarvax said:

To be fair, the Wii U did pretty good at launch. If "pretty good" means being outsold by every other system except the Vita and the DS in it's first 2 months, that is.

Seriously, people don't understand how much of a gigantic failure the Wii U was.

According to NPD Wii U was doing better its first 6 months than the ps3 and 360 did in theirs

Not even close. While the Wii U had a better launch, that initial Nov.-April period still favored the PS3 & 360. For the first six months, the 360 sold 1505k, the PS3 sold 1270k, and the Wii U sold only 1110k. If you exclude that launch holiday, it was even worse: