Quantcast
PSVR sold 500k in three month period through June

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR sold 500k in three month period through June

VR needs far more games. It's extremely under supported, just like Kinect and PS Move last gen.
Some indie games and dumbed down VR modes in other games won't do much.



Around the Network

Imagine if the had more compelling content for PSVR. I think RE7, DriveClub VR and maybe Farpoint stand as the best offers for VR right now (with wide spread appeal) I want VR to be good, I've dreamed of it but there's gotta be more to offer. I'm sure Sony is making decent or enough money to continue pursuing VR but I don't feel their full weight behind it which I suppose makes sense, PSVR is very much a premium item.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Turkish said:
Damn, they're complaining because they're selling too much lol. They could dominate all of the market with PSVR2 if they support PC. I really hope they will do that, it's better for the consumer to just buy PSVR and have it work on 2 of machines. HMDs should be interchangeable, just like controllers.

Why would the PSVR dominate the PC market.  They would lose out to the OR and VIVE on hardware and pretty soon MS and their partners will have a device in the Market that does both AR/VR for a cheaper price.  If anything the the PC market is going to become more competitive which should be good for Sony.  Better,. cheaper devices will increase adoption of VR and thus more games.  If MS makes a standard framework then we will see more AR/VR devices in the market at cheaper prices which should hit that sweet spot for mass market appeal.



Hmm. I haven't got the chance to give it a try yet.



Turkish said:
Damn, they're complaining because they're selling too much lol. They could dominate all of the market with PSVR2 if they support PC. I really hope they will do that, it's better for the consumer to just buy PSVR and have it work on 2 of machines. HMDs should be interchangeable, just like controllers.

No, they don't complain that they sell too much. That doesn't make any sense. If they would sell 20x as many PSVR units it would be a much better situation for them because then there would be many more games for it.

They don't sell enough combined with other devices to get a decent amount of VR owners, that's what he complains about. They may dominate against the competition but that doesn't make some million sold PSVR heasdsets "too many sales". The competition sells not enough units to let developers work on enough "bigger"  games which would also come to PSVR, then. That's Sony's problem. 



Around the Network
Me said:
sethnintendo said:

So Sony put a demo out.  Do they have any games that they published that are made ground up for VR or just that demo?  I'm clueless on VR because I still think it is a generation or two away from mass market appeal.  They gotta at least shrink down those head units for me to be remotely interested.

 no - just the demo disk and 2 of the demos were really good ideas, there was a platform game that just made me smile seeing the little robot around me and me moving from a camera perspective as the level progressed.  Then there was a game where i was in a bar seeing cartono cowboys and people saw a character on the tv screen and had to describe him to me where i had to pick him out of a room of people.

 

Both really good, fresh ideas and then did nothing so far - its a real shame.

                               

Eh.  I played the demo at a friend's house, and it reminded more of Wii U's Nintendo Land than anything else.  Some fun, but nothing mind blowing.  By contrast, I was immediately and completely blown away by the Rift's free demo "First Contact".  

There are games on the other platforms that require participation from others not wearing the headset as well.  For example, "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes" has the VR wearer in a room with a bomb.  The VR wearer has to accurately describe all of the features of the bomb in order for those not wearing the headset to walk him/her through how to disarm the bomb via a manual on the tv screen.  I played it with friends on the Oculus Rift, and it was a lot of fun.  

Turkish said:
Damn, they're complaining because they're selling too much lol. They could dominate all of the market with PSVR2 if they support PC. I really hope they will do that, it's better for the consumer to just buy PSVR and have it work on 2 of machines. HMDs should be interchangeable, just like controllers.

I can't see PSVR headsets selling for use on PC.  The people buying PSVR are PS4 owners buying a PS4 peripheral.  If you are going to do VR on PC, you're going to get a much better headset and guarantee yourself the much better experience.  At least you should, or really what's the point?  I don't believe there are many people out there who were not interested in buying a PS4, but only did so later to play PSVR.  Similarly, I doubt there are many people who really want to experience VR on their PC, but are holding themselves back from doing so because PSVR isn't compatible with it.

Ruler said:
vivster said:
You cannot complain that there is no competition on the market when you yourself completely isolate yourself from it. You were the one completely splitting the market by tethering your device to your console. So either allow other HMDs to work with PS4 or bring your HMD to PC or shut the fuck up.

There is no competition on the market because you want it so and you god damn know it.

Or maybe vive and occulust need to make better and more affordable devices on PC?

I don't know, $399 for Oculus headset + Touch controllers + 2 sensors + Eve Valkyrie this summer was pretty damn enticing for me.

Also, for everyone saying that PSVR is the market leader, and Oculus is in dead last, they are ignoring the fact that Oculus supplies the software to Gear VR (5 million headsets shipped iirc).  Sounds like a win/win for Oculus to me.

Me said:
sethnintendo said:

So Sony put a demo out.  Do they have any games that they published that are made ground up for VR or just that demo?  I'm clueless on VR because I still think it is a generation or two away from mass market appeal.  They gotta at least shrink down those head units for me to be remotely interested.

 no - just the demo disk and 2 of the demos were really good ideas, there was a platform game that just made me smile seeing the little robot around me and me moving from a camera perspective as the level progressed.  Then there was a game where i was in a bar seeing cartono cowboys and people saw a character on the tv screen and had to describe him to me where i had to pick him out of a room of people.

 

Both really good, fresh ideas and then did nothing so far - its a real shame.



Sony is really such a honorable company, very happy for PSVR being the market leader!



Has it passed 2m shipped yet? Its been available for almost a year now.

The fact that this is in the lead just shows you how little demand there is for VR.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


vivster said:
You cannot complain that there is no competition on the market when you yourself completely isolate yourself from it. You were the one completely splitting the market by tethering your device to your console. So either allow other HMDs to work with PS4 or bring your HMD to PC or shut the fuck up.

There is no competition on the market because you want it so and you god damn know it.

Aboslutely 100% correct.

House talking nonsense as usual.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


Barozi said:
VR needs far more games. It's extremely under supported, just like Kinect and PS Move last gen.
Some indie games and dumbed down VR modes in other games won't do much.

I won't complain if more games came out yet I can hardly keep up with what's available since launch and have been skipping plenty stuff. Support is far better than Kinect and Move. I have bought over 50 titles already, some with VR modes, some completely playable in VR, most exclusively made for VR. OR and Vive games get released on PSVR too, as well the other way around. Cross play between PSVR Vive and OR is working perfectly fine.

What VR needs is damn lazy review sites to actually start reviewing VR games. Most of the time the only resource available is watching a live stream on release day to get an idea what a game is like. Or check Steam user reviews if it is a port.

Anyway here's a list of released and upcoming games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR_games
Withing 1 year the list is already far longer than Move and Kinect compatible games. Plus they're all different, while the Kinect and Move list have many repetitions like Dance game variants.

Extremely under supported... #PSVRhasnogamez.