Quantcast
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Job Combinations?

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Job Combinations?

Before I start, I need to admit something; I've never actually played Final Fantasy XII. It's literally the only game in the main series that I've not played, so hopefully I'll get some advice from this thread.

Right, now to start the thread; So I preordered the game months and months ago, I've had it since day one, not played it yet, and won't be playing it until after I finish The Witcher 3 anyway, but I'm aware of the change in the job system, whereas before it seemed you could learn everything from every job (Is this correct?), yet now you're limited to just two jobs per character and they're permanent too. 

Before I start my playthrough, I've been looking up good job combinations for each character, and honestly some of them just seem a little bizzare to me... as I've said, I've not played the game, so I don't know who is supposed to do what, but for example, people are saying Balthier makes a great white mage, yet in just about every picture I've seen of him over the years, he's holding a gun, so surely he'd make a better machinist? And then there's Fran who always seems to be holding a bow, people suggest making her a tank or a red mage rather than an archer... this confuses me beyond belief!

With that said, to anyone here who has played/is playing The Zodiac Age, or has played enough of the original game to know which classes would work well together...

What are your job combinations for your character?

Are there any right or wrong combinations, or is it possible to fuck up by picking the wrong jobs for certain characters?

What would you suggest as combinations for someone who would be playing the game for the first time?



Around the Network

As someone who has only played the OG FFXII I have no idea what you are talking about. The good old times where it was just about stats and the terrible terrible license board.

This site will probably help you more than anyone here.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/faqs



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Vaan: Bushi/Shikari = HP, tank, damage dealer, mystic armor. (Black Robe: dark elemental damage +50% + Yagyu Darkblade = Yiazmat killer)

Balthier: Time Battlemage/Foebreaker = Breaker, Buffer/Debuff. (Crossbow ranged damage, or close range with hammer or axe)

Fran: Red Battlemage/Archer = Support, Range damage, Access to Ardor (Oil + Burning bow + Fiery Arrows + Ardor = Massive fire damage.. strongest hitting damage in the game)

Penelo: Monk/Blackmage = lots of HP, swiftness, access to Holy magick, access to Staff of the Magi: +50% Holy Damage (Blackmage with Holy? Holyshit!)

Basch: Knight/Bushi = Tank, lots of HP. access to white magick, mystic armor (White Robe: holy elemental damage +50% + Excalibur = God combo Undead killing machine)

Ashe: Whitemage/Machinist  = Machinist guns adds a fixed amount of damage, access to time magick and lots of HP for survival.


there is no right or wrong, I choose this strictly for making trial mode alittle bit easier.



I played the original so I'm curious about this too when I pick up the game.



In my playthrough, I think I've given the wrong person the White Mage job. No matter how much 'Increase Magic Potency' I give Balthier, he does has hardly any MP and heals for less that Fran, who is my black mage/bushi/dps. Think I need to find where on the board Fran can get a cure spell beyond 'Cure' and make her learn it quickly. Balthier is fine for dispel and barriers.

Basch is my Knight/Foebreaker tank, he just sits at the front hitting them, drawing aggro if he can. Although he can't currently attack air based enemies so... Not going to start again, I've just reached Arcadia and you guys know how long this game is.

I only usually play with 3 main characters, spending time to level all characters up isn't worth it in the game... although they apprently have changed some things to make it more balanced aka easier (in main story I haven't died yet only from trying to get an Summer far higher level than my own).

 

My other 3 characters are just a miss mash of roles, mainly because I wanted to see what they looked like holding certain weapons. :P



Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:

In my playthrough, I think I've given the wrong person the White Mage job. No matter how much 'Increase Magic Potency' I give Balthier, he does has hardly any MP and heals for less that Fran, who is my black mage/bushi/dps. Think I need to find where on the board Fran can get a cure spell beyond 'Cure' and make her learn it quickly. Balthier is fine for dispel and barriers.

Basch is my Knight/Foebreaker tank, he just sits at the front hitting them, drawing aggro if he can. Although he can't currently attack air based enemies so... Not going to start again, I've just reached Arcadia and you guys know how long this game is.

I only usually play with 3 main characters, spending time to level all characters up isn't worth it in the game... although they apprently have changed some things to make it more balanced aka easier (in main story I haven't died yet only from trying to get an Summer far higher level than my own).

 

My other 3 characters are just a miss mash of roles, mainly because I wanted to see what they looked like holding certain weapons. :P

Penello should always be white mage/some other mage in my opinion.



Random_Matt said:

Penello should always be white mage/some other mage in my opinion.

Thinking I should have gone the all female team route. Apparently Fran was tweaked so she has the highest vitality at 99. So her a front line might have been a better idea. I hardly ever use Penello though, any any play through... I think mainly because you acquire her last.

Maybe I will start again, the fact summons and mist isn't tied to MP anymore has made boss fights easier, so shouldn't take too long to get where I am... other than the fact It's taken me a nearly month so far due to my busy life.

EDIT: On a side note, just past the beach 4 by 4 chest grid exacept it wasn't a 4 by 4, it was eight in a row.... confused the hell out of me but didn't touch it anyway.



Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Random_Matt said:

Penello should always be white mage/some other mage in my opinion.

Thinking I should have gone the all female team route. Apparently Fran was tweaked so she has the highest vitality at 99. So her a front line might have been a better idea. I hardly ever use Penello though, any any play through... I think mainly because you acquire her last.

Maybe I will start again, the fact summons and mist isn't tied to MP anymore has made boss fights easier, so shouldn't take too long to get where I am... other than the fact It's taken me a nearly month so far due to my busy life.

EDIT: On a side note, just past the beach 4 by 4 chest grid exacept it wasn't a 4 by 4, it was eight in a row.... confused the hell out of me but didn't touch it anyway.

I spend a couple of hours levelling up Vaan and Penello at the start taking on the hard enemies, actually there is tons of grinding in the game.



deskpro2k3 said:

Vaan: Bushi/Shikari = HP, tank, damage dealer, mystic armor. (Black Robe: dark elemental damage +50% + Yagyu Darkblade = Yiazmat killer)

Balthier: Time Battlemage/Foebreaker = Breaker, Buffer/Debuff. (Crossbow ranged damage, or close range with hammer or axe)

Fran: Red Battlemage/Archer = Support, Range damage, Access to Ardor (Oil + Burning bow + Fiery Arrows + Ardor = Massive fire damage.. strongest hitting damage in the game)

Penelo: Monk/Blackmage = lots of HP, swiftness, access to Holy magick, access to Staff of the Magi: +50% Holy Damage (Blackmage with Holy? Holyshit!)

Basch: Knight/Bushi = Tank, lots of HP. access to white magick, mystic armor (White Robe: holy elemental damage +50% + Excalibur = God combo Undead killing machine)

Ashe: Whitemage/Machinist  = Machinist guns adds a fixed amount of damage, access to time magick and lots of HP for survival.


there is no right or wrong, I choose this strictly for making trial mode alittle bit easier.

Nice.  Will save this for the future.  I haven't gotten the game, and I also have been asking myself this.



I had to do so much research on this. It is insane.

Not just job interacting with job, but you also have to keep in mind what "skills" you want that are locked behind quickening and espers.

Plus you don't want to double up on stuff like heavy armor.

Can't remember my build right now. I grinded until I finished the tomb and you unlock a second license grid. Then I tried a lot of combinations. Went with the strategy guide build.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)