Quantcast
My first ever nintendo home console is now the switch!

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first ever nintendo home console is now the switch!

I previously owned some handhelds from them such as the 3ds, Gameboy and Gameboy color, but in terms of home consoles this is the first one I have purchased. What tipped me over was the announcement of a core pokemon title for it. If they make it 3rd person open world I'm gonna lose it. 

 

But in regards to the system here's my thoughts. 

 

Even though some think the graphics is a problem i find them more than fine. It is still sort of a handheld in the end and it is way more powerfull than my vita which i still enjoy fiddling about with. 

 

I really like that the controllers have so many options for different playstyles. I find myself switching it up regularly between them. 

 

The build quality is decent I suppose but I would have preferred more of a smartphone type of feel with aluminium and glass instead of so much plastic. At least on the front. Especially considering what you hear about how easily it scratches. Knock on wood. 

In terms of games I find it to be thus far very much peaks and valleys. Breath of the wild is the first zelda I delve into and while I think it's pretty revolutionary in some ways, there are some mechanics I think works against it. Things such as the breaking equipment, the time spent on cooking and poo rly explained world mechanics. It is a great game but I don't see this as  being a 10. Definitely a contender for best launch title ever though. 

Mario kart is some mindless fun, but the genre to me just isn't that appealing. Also online seems very unstable with dns errors galore. This makes me not really enthralled for their paid service. 

 

Also picked up metal slug and damn. That title is still dope. Get it if you haven't already. 

 

And that's pretty much all I got. Which leads me to the final part. The e'shop is really dissapointing. First of all there is no virtual console titles on there yet.( And no release date, to my knowledge). And a lot of games on there just seems very expensive compared to other platforms online stores. I mean I would propably have picked up street fighter or some smaller title but it is like 40 dollars. Other games such as bomberman feel way overpriced. Add to that that many retail games from the looks of it feel like having a lack of content 'looking at you arms' and maybe splatoon. All I'm really excited for coming up these months is mario.. And I do not think zelda can hold me over till then. 

 

Something peculiar I noticed though is that I caught myself thinking about if arms and splatoon were on ps4. I propably wouldn't even have given them a second look. But since there is such a lack of other titles I am at least interested here. So I'm really wondering if nintendo fans hype up all their game releases like the second coming of christ, simply because that's all there is? 

 

 



Around the Network

Now get yourself a screen protector.







VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
pbroy said:
Now get yourself a screen protector.

Propably should yeah :) I always fuck up the placement on those damn things though



dyremose said:
pbroy said:
Now get yourself a screen protector.

Propably should yeah :) I always fuck up the placement on those damn things though

Have someone from a tech store do it. People at Best Buy were kind enough to put it on fot me



monocle_layton said:
dyremose said:

Propably should yeah :) I always fuck up the placement on those damn things though

Have someone from a tech store do it. People at Best Buy were kind enough to put it on fot me

Good idea.. Maybe they can fix up my galaxy s8+ aswell. That thing is so much screen it will crack pretty much nowhere I drop it



Around the Network

I still have an issue with people thinking the breaking of weapons mechanic in Breath of the Wild works against it...if anything it works for it. If you could keep any weapon you wanted, you'd use the same weapon all the time and the game wouldn't challenge you to use anything else or come up with new ideas to use certain weapons in certain situations. If Breath of the Wild only presented me with unbreakable items, it would have made combat more stale. I think it adds to the theme of the game of using what you can find to help you on your adventure, I haven't played a game that has made me feel that way in some time. It's really a living, breathing world.

The eshop, well...it has only been 4 months since release...PS+ and Xbox Live didn't just start out having the robust services they have now, it took time for the services to grow. I understand the frustration but it's a console launch in March, which was really a soft launch that got out of hand. I say give the eshop a year or so, if it's still garbage we have a problem. And no, we don't hype up games because that's all there is, it's because these are new franchises that Nintendo is creating, which doesn't happen often. Arms and Splatoon so far are great new franchises from Nintendo and that's exciting...I think anyways as most other companies, Nintendo included, just make the same iterations in the franchise. That doesn't mean sequels are bad or anything it's just nice to have new software.

Switch's library seems a little on the light side for now and I'm fine with that because a lot of the content is quality content and not almost entirely rushed ports of games people already played like the Wii U had. I guess some thoughts are justifiable but just like I gave PS4 a chance to get decent software after the first year, I think we should do the same for Switch. I mean we have some great stuff coming in the next 2 years. Like you said, the Pokemon game...if that comes out and it looks something like most modern JRPGS look, I'll lose my shit. Maybe if it looks something like the modern Tales of games or Ni No Kuni II. Can't wait. Plus we got Mario Odyssey, Kirby, Metroid Prime, and I'd imagine much more down the pipeline.

Online, yeah they need to iron that shit out. Getting disconnected from Mario Kart 8 seems to be a huge issue for a lot of people after the new update. If their online service doesn't come out swinging then Nintendo needs to seriously just hire somebody to take care of their online functionality. Glad you're on board, hopefully you end up really loving it in a year or two. The thing has potential I just hope Nintendo unleashes it.



We don't hype up games like the second coming of Christ, we let others do it for us. When "Breath Of The Wild" gets a Metascore of 97 with almost all tens, and I personally give it a 10 ..... Mario Kart 8 gets a Metascore of 92, almost the score I will give it. Congrats on your Switch, but maybe it's not for you. It's just like the Playstation 4 is not for me. I been had my Switch and it never got a scratch. I have no screen protector on it either.



Ljink96 said:
I still have an issue with people thinking the breaking of weapons mechanic in Breath of the Wild works against it...if anything it works for it. If you could keep any weapon you wanted, you'd use the same weapon all the time and the game wouldn't challenge you to use anything else or come up with new ideas to use certain weapons in certain situations. If Breath of the Wild only presented me with unbreakable items, it would have made combat more stale. I think it adds to the theme of the game of using what you can find to help you on your adventure, I haven't played a game that has made me feel that way in some time. It's really a living, breathing world.

The eshop, well...it has only been 4 months since release...PS+ and Xbox Live didn't just start out having the robust services they have now, it took time for the services to grow. I understand the frustration but it's a console launch in March, which was really a soft launch that got out of hand. I say give the eshop a year or so, if it's still garbage we have a problem. And no, we don't hype up games because that's all there is, it's because these are new franchises that Nintendo is creating, which doesn't happen often. Arms and Splatoon so far are great new franchises from Nintendo and that's exciting...I think anyways as most other companies, Nintendo included, just make the same iterations in the franchise. That doesn't mean sequels are bad or anything it's just nice to have new software.

Switch's library seems a little on the light side for now and I'm fine with that because a lot of the content is quality content and not almost entirely rushed ports of games people already played like the Wii U had. I guess some thoughts are justifiable but just like I gave PS4 a chance to get decent software after the first year, I think we should do the same for Switch. I mean we have some great stuff coming in the next 2 years. Like you said, the Pokemon game...if that comes out and it looks something like most modern JRPGS look, I'll lose my shit. Maybe if it looks something like the modern Tales of games or Ni No Kuni II. Can't wait. Plus we got Mario Odyssey, Kirby, Metroid Prime, and I'd imagine much more down the pipeline.

Online, yeah they need to iron that shit out. Getting disconnected from Mario Kart 8 seems to be a huge issue for a lot of people after the new update. If their online service doesn't come out swinging then Nintendo needs to seriously just hire somebody to take care of their online functionality. Glad you're on board, hopefully you end up really loving it in a year or two. The thing has potential I just hope Nintendo unleashes it.

 

I just don't like that when I find a weapon I lose it again. It makes it seem less like an event and all the good ones I find I don't dare to use :/

 

It's new on switch sure, and having owned a ps4 since day 1 I clearly remember the drought, but nintendo do has such a huge catalogue in its virtual console that could easily have mitigated that. Havent tried splatoon or arms.. This is just from what I have seen. And yeah there certainly is good titles coming.. They just seem far off to me. 

 

And yes I'm definitely  on board.. I already do love it.. Just wish there was more to love really :) 



PigPen said:
We don't hype up games like the second coming of Christ, we let others do it for us. When "Breath Of The Wild" gets a Metascore of 97 with almost all tens, and I personally give it a 10 ..... Mario Kart 8 gets a Metascore of 92, almost the score I will give it. Congrats on your Switch, but maybe it's not for you. It's just like the Playstation 4 is not for me. I been had my Switch and it never got a scratch. I have no screen protector on it either.

Well I hope it's for me. I really like zelda and mario looks fresh and fun as ever. I guess we simply don't know yet. But I think that goes for everyone