I tried Tetris 99 today. I got a third place finish on my second try, but that was my peak performance in ~20 attempts. My average finish is probably around 20th place, too bad that the game doesn't show such a stat. In any case, I very much doubt that I have a real chance to be one of the top 999 players this upcoming weekend. I'd expect that double digit wins are necessary despite most competitors not getting any wins, but my odds of winning a round are very slim.
I also checked out the NES app and the more obscure games in it aren't any good. It's stupid that the games can't be played with Y+B, so the unusual X+A combo is the best way to play the games.
The reason why I activated my free trial is Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Getting all rare blades is much more manageable with the help of a cloud save. Bad luck isn't a huge problem with a cloud save. I now have gotten all rare blades on the save file I started this year, so I can attempt a complete file without worries. First playthrough clocked in at 105 hours, finished all sidequests and mercenary missions, got 43 of the 45 available rare blades to rank S. Things to do on new game+:
1. Get all 52 rare blades to rank S+
2. Kill all 85 unique monsters on all four difficulties (a guy in Garfont keeps track of all completion times)
3. Finish the battle arena on all four difficulties
4. Finish all sidequests and mercenary missions again
5. Complete the affinity charts of all 5 drivers, as well as their movesets for all weapons
6. Equip each rare blade with a great core chip
7. Get good equipment (drivers) and augments (blades), prerequisite to beat the challenges in the battle arena
I peg the second playthrough at 75 hours, bringing the total to 180 hours. Grinding the various things will take time, but it's very hard to say how much.