Forums - General Discussion - ‘GRABHER’ License Plate Revoked, Deemed ‘Offensive’ with Picture Inside!

Canadian Man’s ‘GRABHER’ License Plate Revoked, Deemed ‘Offensive’ Even Though It’s His Last Name

A Canadian man is arguing in court for his vanity license plate “GRABHER” to be reinstated on his vehicle. The name was considered offensive by the Nova Scotia Registrar of Motor Vehicles after over 25 years of use.

Late last month, another Canadian man had his Star Trek-themed license plate revoked for offensiveness.

Lorne Grabher’s plight went international after the license plate was banned following the leak of Donald Trump’s 2005 “grab her by the pussy” comment. during the 2016 presidential election.

Speaking for Grabher, Canada’s Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms argues that the removal of the plate violates his right to free expression. At least one person complained about it, per the Toronto Sun.

The court filings by Grabher’s lawyers state that his family name is a “point of pride” because of its Austrian-German roots. His adult son uses a similar personalized plate in the Canadian state of Alberta without problems. He told the court that he first registered the name for his license plate over two decades ago as a gift for his late father’s birthday.

“Grabher and his family were, and remain, deeply offended and humiliated by the cancellation of the plate,” the filing reads. “(It) not only infringed Mr. Grabher’s right to express himself through the plate, but discriminated against Mr. Grabher.”

However, the Transportation Department in Nova Scotia says that while they understand the roots of his surname, members of the public may not understand its context. Additionally, they received a complaint from a woman in October 2016 (when Trump’s comments were leaked). The complaint described the plate as misogynistic.

Nova Scotia’s personalized plates first became available in 1989, and allows the Canadian province to refuse any names it deems offensive or socially unacceptable, like slurs and racial epithets.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/canadian-man-takes-fight-for-grabher-license-plate-to-court/



"You're a little Sony loving bitch LMAO 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. ENJOY YOUR SALTY SOUP TEXTURES ON YOUR PS4PROGRESSO ROFL 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. SWITCH+XWONX SHITS ALL OVER SONY'S GARBAGE CONSOLES ROFL YOU WEEABOO BITCH LMAO 😂😂😂😂😂"

-ManHugs , The shitface Nintendo fanboy with a PSN ID who's too stupid and blinded to realize that I'm an Alumni Nintendo fan from the days of Donkey Kong.

Around the Network

I'm not surprised to be honest, but it's kind of a pain having that license plate and then being forced to change it!

By the way, I found the perfect license plate for Noble while browing online!:



Please send website issues here!

PlayStation Nation V4Official Heavy Metal Thread | Official NHL Thread

Long live the proletariat! / Vive le prolétariat ! / ¡Viva el proletariado! / 无产阶级万岁! / プロレタリアート万歳!

LivingMetal said:

Canadian Man’s ‘GRABHER’ License Plate Revoked, Deemed ‘Offensive’ Even Though It’s His Last Name

A Canadian man is arguing in court for his vanity license plate “GRABHER” to be reinstated on his vehicle. The name was considered offensive by the Nova Scotia Registrar of Motor Vehicles after over 25 years of use.

Late last month, another Canadian man had his Star Trek-themed license plate revoked for offensiveness.

Lorne Grabher’s plight went international after the license plate was banned following the leak of Donald Trump’s 2005 “grab her by the pussy” comment. during the 2016 presidential election.

Speaking for Grabher, Canada’s Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms argues that the removal of the plate violates his right to free expression. At least one person complained about it, per the Toronto Sun.

The court filings by Grabher’s lawyers state that his family name is a “point of pride” because of its Austrian-German roots. His adult son uses a similar personalized plate in the Canadian state of Alberta without problems. He told the court that he first registered the name for his license plate over two decades ago as a gift for his late father’s birthday.

“Grabher and his family were, and remain, deeply offended and humiliated by the cancellation of the plate,” the filing reads. “(It) not only infringed Mr. Grabher’s right to express himself through the plate, but discriminated against Mr. Grabher.”

However, the Transportation Department in Nova Scotia says that while they understand the roots of his surname, members of the public may not understand its context. Additionally, they received a complaint from a woman in October 2016 (when Trump’s comments were leaked). The complaint described the plate as misogynistic.

Nova Scotia’s personalized plates first became available in 1989, and allows the Canadian province to refuse any names it deems offensive or socially unacceptable, like slurs and racial epithets.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/canadian-man-takes-fight-for-grabher-license-plate-to-court/

They... they received "a complaint"... "A(!) complaint".

Why must we constantly coddle the few kleenex-soft, intentionally offended carebears out there? The moment one speaks up ACTION MUST BE TAKEN!!



That's just sad. We live in a world where people with last names get their license plate revoked while people who actually sexually harass women become president. This is so fucked up on so many levels.

heh

Johnw1104 said:

They... they received "a complaint"... "A(!) complaint".

Why must we constantly coddle the few kleenex-soft, intentionally offended carebears out there? The moment one speaks up ACTION MUST BE TAKEN!!

Can we not leave bears out of this?



Oh, dear...PC SJW-ism at its worst....what is more idiotic, that's guy's family name.

What is next? All plates with 69 in them banned cause some puritan nutjob finds them offensive?



Exactly how is “ASIMIL8" offensive? That's so dumb. I know someone personally who's license plate is S1ave1 because Slave 1 was too offensive. Which was obviously a Star Wars reference.

Let's hope there is no one out there with the surname 'Rapekids' who likes his personal number plate.

bonzobanana said:
Let's hope there is no one out there with the surname 'Rapekids' who likes his personal number plate.

hmm, I don't think they'd have to worry about number plates. They'd have bigger issues than that, like their mail!



Around the Network
Airaku said:
Exactly how is “ASIMIL8" offensive? That's so dumb. I know someone personally who's license plate is S1ave1 because Slave 1 was too offensive. Which was obviously a Star Wars reference.

From what I read about it in a different article about this, people unfamiliar with star trek, associated this with the assimilation of the native Indians into Canadian society. From what I understood, "assimilation" is a term people use in these discussions.