Quantcast
Nintendo's install base shrunk from 250 million in Gen 7 to ~80 million in Gen 8

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's install base shrunk from 250 million in Gen 7 to ~80 million in Gen 8

archer9234 said:
Rem87919394 said:
Anything over 40 million should be considered a success to me

I can't just count the console. The system has to also have a healthly amount of games. Which include 3rd party. Not all of them. But, key ones. Than i'll count it as a success.

I'm sure Nintendo will do all they can to get the ratio just right for you to consider their console successful!



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Zod95 said:

Hard to tell if the sum of two poor results is a success. WiiU was horrible. 3DS was mediocre. But the market is shrinking and there's always some overlap between home consoles and handhelds clients.

If NS actually replaces 3DS and sells 80M, I will say those sales are ok (not really a success and not really a flop).

80mil is not really a success? Think about that for a minute. 

I have. If NS is Nintendo's handheld for the years to come, it's basically responding to 2 markets.

WiiU was a disaster. Nintendo never did so poorly. 3DS was definitely not good. I think any other Nintendo handheld did better per year. How can the average of 2 bad results be good? Because, if NS does really replace 3DS, the sales must be devided by 2 in order to fairly compare to other generations. When was the last time Nintendo's home console + handheld did 80M? The 8th generation, of course. And before that?

Yeah...in that case, 80M won't be a success.

However, if NS does not replace 3DS, then 80M is quite an achievement. Not as good as Wii, but still definitely a success.



Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Zod95 said:
tbone51 said:

80mil is not really a success? Think about that for a minute. 

I have. If NS is Nintendo's handheld for the years to come, it's basically responding to 2 markets.

WiiU was a disaster. Nintendo never did so poorly. 3DS was definitely not good. I think any other Nintendo handheld did better per year. How can the average of 2 bad results be good? Because, if NS does really replace 3DS, the sales must be devided by 2 in order to fairly compare to other generations. When was the last time Nintendo's home console + handheld did 80M? The 8th generation, of course. And before that?

Yeah...in that case, 80M won't be a success.

However, if NS does not replace 3DS, then 80M is quite an achievement. Not as good as Wii, but still definitely a success.

Your implying only what 4 or 5 handheld/home consoles were ever successful out of the 30+. 

 

If 80mil isnt a success then that means only psx/ps2/wii/ds/gb with soon to be ps4 are the only successful gaming systems.

 

That said as zhuge said its not all about hardware numbers as many think. X1 is more successful than ps3 despite ps3 >>> X1 in hardware sales. Many factors play a role.



tbone51 said:
Zod95 said:

I have. If NS is Nintendo's handheld for the years to come, it's basically responding to 2 markets.

WiiU was a disaster. Nintendo never did so poorly. 3DS was definitely not good. I think any other Nintendo handheld did better per year. How can the average of 2 bad results be good? Because, if NS does really replace 3DS, the sales must be devided by 2 in order to fairly compare to other generations. When was the last time Nintendo's home console + handheld did 80M? The 8th generation, of course. And before that?

Yeah...in that case, 80M won't be a success.

However, if NS does not replace 3DS, then 80M is quite an achievement. Not as good as Wii, but still definitely a success.

Your implying only what 4 or 5 handheld/home consoles were ever successful out of the 30+. 

 

If 80mil isnt a success then that means only psx/ps2/wii/ds/gb with soon to be ps4 are the only successful gaming systems.

 

That said as zhuge said its not all about hardware numbers as many think. X1 is more successful than ps3 despite ps3 >>> X1 in hardware sales. Many factors play a role.

That works both ways though.

The Wii wasn't a success because only lame casuals bought it due to artificial demand and it had waggle controls and Nintendoom.



Guys did you know the PS4 isn't a success unless it fulfills the equation PS4 + PSV = PS3 + PSP

In other words we can call it a failure unless it exceeds 150 million hardware sales

So we can look forward to that in a few years



Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Zod95 said:

I have. If NS is Nintendo's handheld for the years to come, it's basically responding to 2 markets.

WiiU was a disaster. Nintendo never did so poorly. 3DS was definitely not good. I think any other Nintendo handheld did better per year. How can the average of 2 bad results be good? Because, if NS does really replace 3DS, the sales must be devided by 2 in order to fairly compare to other generations. When was the last time Nintendo's home console + handheld did 80M? The 8th generation, of course. And before that?

Yeah...in that case, 80M won't be a success.

However, if NS does not replace 3DS, then 80M is quite an achievement. Not as good as Wii, but still definitely a success.

Your implying only what 4 or 5 handheld/home consoles were ever successful out of the 30+. 

 

If 80mil isnt a success then that means only psx/ps2/wii/ds/gb with soon to be ps4 are the only successful gaming systems.

 

That said as zhuge said its not all about hardware numbers as many think. X1 is more successful than ps3 despite ps3 >>> X1 in hardware sales. Many factors play a role.

No. I'm implying that 80M divided by 2 equals to 40M. And, looking at Nintendo history, that number does not represent a success. I think I was pretty clear when I stated the sentence I'm putting in bold.

How is X1 more successful than PS3? PS3 got more HW sales, more SW sales and more market share.



Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

the_dengle said:
Guys did you know the PS4 isn't a success unless it fulfills the equation PS4 + PSV = PS3 + PSP

In other words we can call it a failure unless it exceeds 150 million hardware sales

So we can look forward to that in a few years

It's funny how the PS3 era suddenly becomes Sony's most successful if you just look at hardware sales.



Zod95 said:
tbone51 said:

Your implying only what 4 or 5 handheld/home consoles were ever successful out of the 30+. 

 

If 80mil isnt a success then that means only psx/ps2/wii/ds/gb with soon to be ps4 are the only successful gaming systems.

 

That said as zhuge said its not all about hardware numbers as many think. X1 is more successful than ps3 despite ps3 >>> X1 in hardware sales. Many factors play a role.

No. I'm implying that 80M divided by 2 equals to 40M. And, looking at Nintendo history, that number does not represent a success. I think I was pretty clear when I stated the sentence I'm putting in bold.

How is X1 more successful than PS3? PS3 got more HW sales, more SW sales and more market share.

Did you miss the post earlier that shows Nintendo has sold 85-115 million every generation excluding Wii/DS?



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

the_dengle said:
Guys did you know the PS4 isn't a success unless it fulfills the equation PS4 + PSV = PS3 + PSP

In other words we can call it a failure unless it exceeds 150 million hardware sales

So we can look forward to that in a few years

PS4 does not have to be added to PSV to be successful. PS4 is selling more than 15M per year and is at 57% market share. If that's not a success then NES isn't either. And I think NES was a tremendous success.



Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

zorg1000 said:
Zod95 said:

No. I'm implying that 80M divided by 2 equals to 40M. And, looking at Nintendo history, that number does not represent a success. I think I was pretty clear when I stated the sentence I'm putting in bold.

How is X1 more successful than PS3? PS3 got more HW sales, more SW sales and more market share.

Did you miss the post earlier that shows Nintendo has sold 85-115 million every generation excluding Wii/DS?

So 80M is below the lower bound of that interval (which already ignores the most successful generation for Nintendo) and you would consider it a success?



Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M