Quantcast
Modernize them?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modernize them?

If the games are good, this shouldnt be a problem. Take Shovel Knight as example.



Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
CaptainExplosion said:

What do you mean by that?

The idea behind retro games is such that they look and play like retro games.  Removing the retro gamplay just makes it a pixelated modern game.

Is that what would happen if Yooka-Laylee and Shovel Knight didn't have their retro aspects?



Some days I just blow up.

Wow, you must be real bitter about those Yooka Laylee reviews still.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:

Wow, you must be real bitter about those Yooka Laylee reviews still.

I'm not. Just disenhearted a little.



Some days I just blow up.

They are dated in a sense because the main point of playing a retro style game for a sense of nostalgia and the list of people who can appreciate a retro game is shrinking. Some gamers of have stopped gaming because circumstances in their life and some are getting up there on age. Regardless that list is gonna shrink. Maybe you just like that kind of game the way it was but if devs want certain genres to stick around then they'll have to modernise them. I don't mean become open world or anything.

They just need to evolve in some way that draws interest back in the genre. Maybe change the perspective on how you view the character or add a lot more things you can do in the game.



Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
They are dated in a sense because the main point of playing a retro style game for a sense of nostalgia and the list of people who can appreciate a retro game is shrinking. Some gamers of have stopped gaming because circumstances in their life and some are getting up there on age. Regardless that list is gonna shrink. Maybe you just like that kind of game the way it was but if devs want certain genres to stick around then they'll have to modernise them. I don't mean become open world or anything.

They just need to evolve in some way that draws interest back in the genre. Maybe change the perspective on how you view the character or add a lot more things you can do in the game.

You mean like what Super Mario Oddyssey looks to do?



Some days I just blow up.

The open world thing has already lost some steam. There's definitely plenty out of there and more coming, but people are supporting all kinds of smaller, indie style games.

The truth is that an open world game is very time consuming and must be stuffed with content, meaning they're very expensive to produce and require a ton of sales to recoup that investment. There's only ever going to be so many open world games that can compete for the limited time and attention of we rabid consumers, so those other genres will continue to get attention.

As for modernizing them, that's really already underway and, for the most part, it's hardly necessary. People still enjoy most of those old genres, the only one that really seemed to fade off that I can think of being the "point and click", but we seem to be seeing elements of that in VR games these days.

There will always be a tendency among some reviewers to dock certain genres points even when they're the top of their field, no "modernizing" will change that. I think you're attempting to identify a problem that doesn't really exist.



Johnw1104 said:
The open world thing has already lost some steam. There's definitely plenty out of there and more coming, but people are supporting all kinds of smaller, indie style games.

The truth is that an open world game is very time consuming and must be stuffed with content, meaning they're very expensive to produce and require a ton of sales to recoup that investment. There's only ever going to be so many open world games that can compete for the limited time and attention of we rabid consumers, so those other genres will continue to get attention.

As for modernizing them, that's really already underway and, for the most part, it's hardly necessary. People still enjoy most of those old genres, the only one that really seemed to fade off that I can think of being the "point and click", but we seem to be seeing elements of that in VR games these days.

There will always be a tendency among some reviewers to dock certain genres points even when they're the top of their field, no "modernizing" will change that. I think you're attempting to identify a problem that doesn't really exist.

What about the retro-style games' shrinking audience?



Some days I just blow up.

CaptainExplosion said:
Aeolus451 said:
They are dated in a sense because the main point of playing a retro style game for a sense of nostalgia and the list of people who can appreciate a retro game is shrinking. Some gamers of have stopped gaming because circumstances in their life and some are getting up there on age. Regardless that list is gonna shrink. Maybe you just like that kind of game the way it was but if devs want certain genres to stick around then they'll have to modernise them. I don't mean become open world or anything.

They just need to evolve in some way that draws interest back in the genre. Maybe change the perspective on how you view the character or add a lot more things you can do in the game.

You mean like what Super Mario Oddyssey looks to do?

I don't know of it. I was speaking in a general sense about retro games.



CaptainExplosion said:
Johnw1104 said:
The open world thing has already lost some steam. There's definitely plenty out of there and more coming, but people are supporting all kinds of smaller, indie style games.

The truth is that an open world game is very time consuming and must be stuffed with content, meaning they're very expensive to produce and require a ton of sales to recoup that investment. There's only ever going to be so many open world games that can compete for the limited time and attention of we rabid consumers, so those other genres will continue to get attention.

As for modernizing them, that's really already underway and, for the most part, it's hardly necessary. People still enjoy most of those old genres, the only one that really seemed to fade off that I can think of being the "point and click", but we seem to be seeing elements of that in VR games these days.

There will always be a tendency among some reviewers to dock certain genres points even when they're the top of their field, no "modernizing" will change that. I think you're attempting to identify a problem that doesn't really exist.

What about the retro-style games' shrinking audience?

In what way is it shrinking? They're still selling quite well... heck, I was just playing Dragon Boy, and a couple days ago I was playing the massive hit Stardew Valley.

I think the pixelated visuals probably don't wow people anymore given how common they've become (I like Dragonboy's approach of offering both), but the old genres (2/2.5D shooters, Platformers, Farming etc) are definitely alive and well. Steam and youtube are still loaded with them, and they're selling great even years after releasing.