PS4 was doubling Xbox One sales until recently. It is now more like tripling XB1 sales worldwide now. No exciting exclusives lately. Halo Wars has bombed. Gears, Forza, and, even the mighty Halo are selling less than in the past. Rise of the Tomb Raider has already sold more on PS4 despite a years exclusivity on Xbox. Scale Bound was cancelled. Crackdown (with it's cloud power) has failed to release after years of hype. Freeing up Kinect was supposed to boost game performance, but PS4 still usually has the better versions. That's not all.
Phil has made some terrible decisions in my opinion. He let go of the Call of Duty deals. He has failed to secure many other exclusive deals for Xbox. He has made most of the few big Xbox games available for PC. Exclusives still matter. Phil doesn't seem to get that. Also, he seems to fail to recognise that ppl still want single player games too. I prefer single player games with deep stories myself.
Also, there are little Japanese games (my favorite) on XB1. Phil took a trip to Japan recently. Maybe he is just realizing his mistakes. I hope his trip made a difference. Hopefully there will be many more Japanese games coming to Xbox.
With all of these mistakes and poor decisions, I think Phil Spencer may be looking for a new job if things don't change soon. With the Nintendo Switch, XB1 is now running 3rd place weekly. Crackdown and Sea of Thieves won't be near enough. Phil still has a chance however!
His ultimate weapon, Project Scorpio, is coming soon. It will be the most powerful gaming console in history. It is a whopper! It even makes the PS4 Pro look a little weak. However, the extra power is not enough alone. Here is what I think he should do:
1. Stop with the PC crap. If someone is going to pay high dollar for Scorpio, you might as well invest in a PC instead if the games are coming to PC too. Make the Scorpio games exclusive, or at least 6 month timed exclusive. I mean Xbox exc!usive, not just Scorpio. That brings me to my second point.
2. Have Scorpio games be compatible with XB1 for one year so that XB1 owners will get five full years of support. Then go to Scorpio games only, because it is powerful enough to be next generation. Staying XB1 compatible will hold it's potential back... and sales.
3. Do not price Scorpio higher than $450. Even if it means short term loss, it will get the system out there. Remember guys, PS4 Pro could be cut to $350 with Horizon packed in.
4. Get more games out! This E3 had better be full of new game announcements.
5. Get aggressive again. Get Call of Duty back in 2018 for a start. It's a sales console war. Start acting like it Phil. He seems to be a nice guy, but nice won't win the console war.