Quantcast
Cemu 1.7.5 Patreon released!, 4K 1.7.4 vs 1.7.5 Zelda BOTW comparison.

Forums - PC Discussion - Cemu 1.7.5 Patreon released!, 4K 1.7.4 vs 1.7.5 Zelda BOTW comparison.

CladInShadows said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Playing BoTW on your PC when you don't own a physical copy is theft plain and simple.

Factually correct.  Playing BOTW on your PC when you DO own a physical copy is not theft, however.

Yep. If somebody buys a copy, they can play it however they want. I'm all for a perfect Wii U emulator coming out three to five years from now, when none of the games are available on store shelves. That'll be the only way to play certain Wii U games other than shelling out $80 for somebody's used copy. But these Cemu guys are making it possible to steal a game that is on store shelves for a brand new system.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Around the Network
Natsu said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Playing BoTW on your PC when you don't own a physical copy is theft plain and simple.

Alright? this isn't about whether it's theft or not need to bring it up. 

OT: Nice to see it's coming along good, really great work by the developers. 

if you own a copy it may not technically be theft. Unfortunately something like this, like any emulator, is going to be abused and used almost entirely by people who DON'T own the game.

that's a fact. if these guys put this out to public access (or already have) they will get shut down incredibly quickly. Anyone doubtful should see what has happened to virtually any fans or devs doing the same in the past.

and with a new game it would be 100% fair. It is infringing upon Nintendo's potential sales because hypothetically anyone could obtain it, regardless of owning the game. 

Sorry kiddos but Nintendo would (and probably will) have a won lawsuit with no effort in terms of potential sales lost from something like this. Focus on using emulators for games that are dead and not sold anymore. Doing this sort of stuff on a new game is just lunacy because its not any random person online's intellectural property to edit and then redistribute to the webs

next thing you know some of you will claim that if you take a Taylor Swift album and slightly edit a few tracks and reupload it online that it will NOT be copyright infringement to put up a torrent of it. Just dumb logic from some. Maybe in certain countries, but for most of the West it will never fly if Nintendo cares to do anything about it



Cerebralbore101 said:
CladInShadows said:

Factually correct.  Playing BOTW on your PC when you DO own a physical copy is not theft, however.

Yep. If somebody buys a copy, they can play it however they want. I'm all for a perfect Wii U emulator coming out three to five years from now, when none of the games are available on store shelves. That'll be the only way to play certain Wii U games other than shelling out $80 for somebody's used copy. But these Cemu guys are making it possible to steal a game that is on store shelves for a brand new system.

oh its definitely more than legal gray area like some here are suggesting. There are loads of laws on potentially effecting someone's sales and revenue from their intellectual property/products. something likel Cemu is not gray because regardless of INTENT it vastly will be used to torrent things

the logic some of you are using is the same that could be used for any torrent site that has been shut down (KAT, Piratebay, etc.)- that BECAUSE its objective originally supposedly is to only share things legally, that it can't be shut down because of all of the illegal downloads. Obviously that's been proven false.

unfortunately in life if there's something that hypothetically could be used just fine but is being used 99% of the time in an illegal fashion- it'll be taken down. like 0.01% of people who own this game currently are likely even aware of this project. That speaks volumes.



mountaindewslave said:
Natsu said:

Alright? this isn't about whether it's theft or not need to bring it up. 

OT: Nice to see it's coming along good, really great work by the developers. 

if you own a copy it may not technically be theft. Unfortunately something like this, like any emulator, is going to be abused and used almost entirely by people who DON'T own the game.

that's a fact. if these guys put this out to public access (or already have) they will get shut down incredibly quickly. Anyone doubtful should see what has happened to virtually any fans or devs doing the same in the past.

and with a new game it would be 100% fair. It is infringing upon Nintendo's potential sales because hypothetically anyone could obtain it, regardless of owning the game. 

Sorry kiddos but Nintendo would (and probably will) have a won lawsuit with no effort in terms of potential sales lost from something like this. Focus on using emulators for games that are dead and not sold anymore. Doing this sort of stuff on a new game is just lunacy because its not any random person online's intellectural property to edit and then redistribute to the webs

next thing you know some of you will claim that if you take a Taylor Swift album and slightly edit a few tracks and reupload it online that it will NOT be copyright infringement to put up a torrent of it. Just dumb logic from some. Maybe in certain countries, but for most of the West it will never fly if Nintendo cares to do anything about it

It's not that easy to get it shut down. Read this, it goes very in depth on the legal grey area
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-ethics-of-emulation-how-creators-the-community-and-the-law-view-console-emulators/
Copyright doesn't extend to the purpose of software, it all depends on how the emulator was build.

Actually Cemu is at risk of ruining it for every emulator by its closed source nature. Yet the risks for Nintendo are great too if they decide to sue. The outcome is far from certain and if a court declares no wrong doing the situation is suddenly a lot worse. Actually just starting a law suit will escalate the damage due to the media attention and likely harsh backlash on the internet.

Yet perhaps Trump's messing with net neutrality will slow down piracy
https://torrentfreak.com/u-s-net-neutrality-has-a-massive-copyright-loophole-150315/
However losing net neutrality is not worth it, I rather live with piracy than handing the internet over to corporations.

Now if Cemu breaks any patents, then they are in trouble. Ofcourse proving that isn't easy either.



mountaindewslave said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yep. If somebody buys a copy, they can play it however they want. I'm all for a perfect Wii U emulator coming out three to five years from now, when none of the games are available on store shelves. That'll be the only way to play certain Wii U games other than shelling out $80 for somebody's used copy. But these Cemu guys are making it possible to steal a game that is on store shelves for a brand new system.

oh its definitely more than legal gray area like some here are suggesting. There are loads of laws on potentially effecting someone's sales and revenue from their intellectual property/products. something likel Cemu is not gray because regardless of INTENT it vastly will be used to torrent things

the logic some of you are using is the same that could be used for any torrent site that has been shut down (KAT, Piratebay, etc.)- that BECAUSE its objective originally supposedly is to only share things legally, that it can't be shut down because of all of the illegal downloads. Obviously that's been proven false.

unfortunately in life if there's something that hypothetically could be used just fine but is being used 99% of the time in an illegal fashion- it'll be taken down. like 0.01% of people who own this game currently are likely even aware of this project. That speaks volumes.

Emulators are not grey area, as cases of Bleem and Connectix have shown in the past, as well as DraStic, which is sold for $5 on PlayStore for years now.

How you use emulator is another matter all together (and not the topic of this thread), but platform holders can't do diddly squat about actual emulators.



Around the Network

Since when its normal to openly talk about pirating games?

And yes playing a emulation from a game that just came out is pirating



 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Cerebralbore101 said:
Playing BoTW on your PC when you don't own a physical copy is theft plain and simple.

And making assumption about people is a very silly thing to do plan and simple.

'Hint: I do own BOTW'



xl-klaudkil said:
Since when its normal to openly talk about pirating games?

And yes playing a emulation from a game that just came out is pirating

Age of the game is completely irrelevant. Emulators are legal. Playing game that you don't own on it is piracy. Playing game that you own is not.



mountaindewslave said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yep. If somebody buys a copy, they can play it however they want. I'm all for a perfect Wii U emulator coming out three to five years from now, when none of the games are available on store shelves. That'll be the only way to play certain Wii U games other than shelling out $80 for somebody's used copy. But these Cemu guys are making it possible to steal a game that is on store shelves for a brand new system.

oh its definitely more than legal gray area like some here are suggesting. There are loads of laws on potentially effecting someone's sales and revenue from their intellectual property/products. something likel Cemu is not gray because regardless of INTENT it vastly will be used to torrent things

the logic some of you are using is the same that could be used for any torrent site that has been shut down (KAT, Piratebay, etc.)- that BECAUSE its objective originally supposedly is to only share things legally, that it can't be shut down because of all of the illegal downloads. Obviously that's been proven false.

unfortunately in life if there's something that hypothetically could be used just fine but is being used 99% of the time in an illegal fashion- it'll be taken down. like 0.01% of people who own this game currently are likely even aware of this project. That speaks volumes.

Compared to people that pirate on the actual console, even if 100% of cemu users pirate BOTW it wouldnt even make up 5% of the total users who pirated BOTW. same goes for any game. Its far more cheaper and easier to pirate on a WiiU console then it is to play cemu and pirate on PC with far less bugs too.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Natsu said:

Well I'm not even emulating it or anything if I get a switch I might not even get Zelda I'm not a huge fan of zelda. I don't emulate things but it's a good thing for it to be there. But hey not tryna start anything. 

And he's putting in hard work too. I doubt the dude making this is a bad person lol

Going through the code that Nintendo wrote, and rewriting it in a way to avoid copyright isn't hard work. Coming up with something from scratch is ten times harder than reverse engineering somebody else's work. Most engineers could build a working plane, but if they only had access to the same knowledge as the Wright Bros. they'd fall off a cliff and die in testing.

Well whatever we all know it's piracy if you emulate games you don't have. Don't have to bring it up in every emulator thread it's kinda annoying :P