Quantcast
ARMS is NOT Punchout at all. In fact it's a clone of this

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ARMS is NOT Punchout at all. In fact it's a clone of this

People who seen it or played it keep comparing ARMS to Punchout. It's a bad comparison. Yes I can see why at first one might think that. Behind the back view and you punch plus some boxing gloves involved. However Everything else is quite different. You have an arena based fighting game. We don't see many of these anymore. Notable game sin this style have been Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur. Another thing ARMS does is while you are punching,it's closer to shooting.  You must take aim to punch or fire. We saw a new character in the the April 12th direct with a laser so we do have characters with projectiles. Last this game uses both analog sticks when using traditional controls. So it is in fact a Twin Stick fighting game.

 

So what is ARMS a clone of? Virtual On series.

Now ARMS seems a bit more stripped down but everything said above is the same. Arena fighter. You aim and shoot. You use dual sticks to fight (Arcade & 360 port I think). From Siftware also made a robot arena fighting game called Frame Gride.

So anyone who thinks ARMS is a more quirky looking Punchout is wrong. It's a more Quirky Virtual On. That is a great thing as the VO games were amazing.



Around the Network

We already knew that..................



some people aren't gonna like your use of the word clone



Wow, first Splatoon rips off that Xbox 360 game, and now this? Have Nintendo really run the barrel dry out of ideas?



dahuman said:
We already knew that..................

A lot of people don't. I have seen it everywhere people comparing it to punchout and a good few who never heard of Virtual On.



Around the Network
celador said:
some people aren't gonna like your use of the word clone

This day and age most all games are clones of other games.  Just is what it is.



SegataSanshiro said:
dahuman said:
We already knew that..................

A lot of people don't. I have seen it everywhere people comparing it to punchout and a good few who never heard of Virtual On.

I've said it before but I know its not an actual clone of Punchout. people just naturally draw comparisons based off the fact they wear gloves and appear to be boxing.



VGPolyglot said:
Wow, first Splatoon rips off that Xbox 360 game, and now this? Have Nintendo really run the barrel dry out of ideas?

The original is aracade (Model 3).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Troopers_Virtual-On_Oratorio_Tangram



Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
VGPolyglot said:
Wow, first Splatoon rips off that Xbox 360 game, and now this? Have Nintendo really run the barrel dry out of ideas?

The original is aracade (Model 3).

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/ever-oasis-2.jpg

I was just being sarcastic 😊



As someone who actually demo'd the game, yea, comparing this to Punch-Out is like trying to compare Call of Duty to Valkyria Chronicles or something.