I just started playing this game today and I've put about 9 hours in. I don't know where exactly to start about how amazing this game is.
I'm sure most you have read reviews so I'm not going to bore you to death with another one, but let's just put it this wa:
1) the story is intelligent, subtle yet hard hitting and has moments of reflection that are rarely witnessed in video games.
2) art style is breathtaking and awe inspiring. Journey like desert sections, beautiful vista's with huge canyons, waterfalls, rivers and lakes, a beautiful nod to Return of The Jedi (won't say much, I'll let you discover it yourself), sand storms, sunsets, fireworks in front of a eerie yet beautiful theme park.
3) tons of rpg elements from loot, leveling up weapons, your robot pod, crafting, unlocking powers for your pod, customising and upgrading your stats and more.
4) lots of fun quests that range from simple things to funny missions and to thought provoking philosophy.
5) souls like system of leaving messages, having a temp AI helper when reviving another dead player, or using their dead bodies to get temp boosts and other benefits. It's familiar enough to souls to feel at home with, but different enough to be it's own thing.
6) I've fought two bosses so far. I'm still at the beginning of the game as I've been adventuring and doing side quests, but the two bosses I fought were brilliant. From the boss design, their personalities, their transitions and everything around them, it's like they've taken the best bits from devil may Cry, Bayonetta and Vanquish.
7) if you like twin stick shooters, 2D scrolling shooters, this game has amazing sections of those as well and they come organically as the camera angle moves and gently changes.
There is so much more to this as I'm not far in. There are hidden dungeons, 3 players with their own story, combat style and endings, and even mini games from fishing to hacking. You can even ride animals you find to help travel faster. This games got good reviews,and so far this is the most fun I've had since my GOT Bloodborne, but I have a feeling Nier may get overlooked due to bigger games being released around it. If you have the money, give this game a chance and you might be presently surprised like I was.
Video of a beautiful vista and a short fight. Don't mind my newb level of gameplay. Also, this is early in the game and contains nothing story related so no spoilers.
Whoever said life to be like a box of chocolates clearly didn't know what he was talking about.
Life is more like a game of bumper cars. At every turn there is a possibility you will get screwed.