Quantcast
*Rant* Why are Vita memory cards still so damn high!?!

Forums - Sony Discussion - *Rant* Why are Vita memory cards still so damn high!?!

Tagged games:

d21lewis said:
RolStoppable said:
It's the year 2017. SCEA decided that it's over in 2014.

More specifically on topic, Sony knows that d21lewis will break down and buy anyway.

I probably am. But Damn. If they were cheaper, I'd have more games and more cards right now.

You can pick up used ones pretty cheap.



Around the Network

Its like asking why Wii U is still pricey or why Xbox Live and PS plus increased in price. Its the main profit drivers and decreasing the price would accomplish nothing.



RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Or.... R&D to make your own technology is expensive?

Making something proprietary isn't expensive. It doesn't take more than taking already existing technology and applying a few simply measures.

See the funny thing is - the reason these cards remained expensive throughout the life of this console is.... they were very expensive to produce. As it turns out, manufacturing your own proprietary memory cards in relatively low quantities wasn't actually cheap at all, so I' not sure where you're getting that from.




Because memory price cut won't save Vita so they better win the maximum of money.



PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

potato_hamster said:
RolStoppable said:

Making something proprietary isn't expensive. It doesn't take more than taking already existing technology and applying a few simply measures.

See the funny thing is - the reason these cards remained expensive throughout the life of this console is.... they were very expensive to produce. As it turns out, manufacturing your own proprietary memory cards in relatively low quantities wasn't actually cheap at all, so I' not sure where you're getting that from.

That's the first time I've heard this. You are joking, right?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

See the funny thing is - the reason these cards remained expensive throughout the life of this console is.... they were very expensive to produce. As it turns out, manufacturing your own proprietary memory cards in relatively low quantities wasn't actually cheap at all, so I' not sure where you're getting that from.

That's the first time I've heard this. You are joking, right?

Nope.



potato_hamster said:
RolStoppable said:

That's the first time I've heard this. You are joking, right?

Nope.

Hm... I don't believe you, but I am curious.

Why did Sony go with such expensive to produce memory cards?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Or.... R&D to make your own technology is expensive?

Making something proprietary isn't expensive. It doesn't take more than taking already existing technology and applying a few simply measures.

It takes some, and they dont have the benefit that SDcard makers have that make 1,000 times the volume of memory cards that they do.

Theres something to be said for economics of scale.

Its just a dumb idea to try and make your own memory at this point, in our age & day.

 

Its a hardware design flaw in my opinion (waste of money). Same with the rear touchpad.

However unlike MS (kinect), they decided to go all in on it.



The prices of Vita memory cards shot up a few months back when the Vita was hacked, allowing you to install emulators and pirated games, created sudden higher demand for the larger memory cards 16gb and up.

Not that they were ever much cheaper to begin with.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)