Forums - Sony Discussion - Apparently (?), SIE filed a patent for a Switch-like device with detachable controllers in 2015

With how expensive the joycons are...... Not planning to buy anothernpair anytime soon after I buy the Switch. But if a company makes a cheao version (probably doesn't have HD Rumble) then maybe.

 Team MayoFTW! 

Around the Network
c'mon guys, don't tease :)

Development of next consoles often starts early into the life of the current console. We could very well by looking at an early vita successor design. If it proves to be legitimate, that is.

BraLoD said:
maxleresistant said:
with proper analogic triggers...

And the triangle button!

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

d21lewis said:
BraLoD said:

And the triangle button!

SOLD!

You won't believe it, but I double checked it, and it ALSO have the square button, ON TOP of having the triangle button.

Boy, Sony nailed this thing!



ironmanDX said:
Development of next consoles often starts early into the life of the current console. We could very well by looking at an early vita successor design. If it proves to be legitimate, that is.

Well, for starters, Sony has a history of doing this sort of stuff. Secondly, I think they know that the Switch may just destroy their entire Japanese business. Seriously. They barely beat Nintendo's worst selling home console of all time and got killed again with the Vita/3DS war. If Switch does what I think it's going to do in that country, Sony is in serious trouble. They have almost zero chance without copying them and trying to release a me-also system.



pray4mojo said:
ironmanDX said:
Development of next consoles often starts early into the life of the current console. We could very well by looking at an early vita successor design. If it proves to be legitimate, that is.

Well, for starters, Sony has a history of doing this sort of stuff. Secondly, I think they know that the Switch may just destroy their entire Japanese business. Seriously. They barely beat Nintendo's worst selling home console of all time and got killed again with the Vita/3DS war. If Switch does what I think it's going to do in that country, Sony is in serious trouble. They have almost zero chance without copying them and trying to release a me-also system.

Not completely disagreeing as, yes, Japan is mobile pretty much through and through. Also I do think there must be a plan at work to remain on the handheld market, but financially Japan is not that important anymore in terms of sales. The west is where they are making money and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Where I disagree is on the trouble you're predicting. A $300 handheld just does not sell the numbers you're thinking it will. Look at the 3DS before the steep price cut.

Also, technically Sony's handhelds have always been leagues ahead of Nintendo's in terms of specs and multimedia capabilities. Judging by what we've seen from the Switch, it definitely would not be hard to put on a new portable that would outperform the Switch. The question is, will it be worthwile just to capture the Japanese market?

I honestly don't know, but I would love a new Vita/PSP with all the things fixed (L2,R2, L3, R3, normal sd cards). I don't see it happening with this design though, it's lacking the usual Sony sleekness.



d21lewis said:
BraLoD said:

And the triangle button!

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.

 

It has begun. The portable home console wars. The Sony Swap with its removable Shock-Con controllers will play PS4 games from cartridges.

   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:
d21lewis said:

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.

It has begun. The portable home console wars. The Sony Swap with its removable Shock-Con controllers will play PS4 games from cartridges.

PS4 on the go would be pretty sick, but that would just be sad for the Sony Swap (lol), as it would apparently lack exclusives relevant to the west, which was one of the Vita major problems.



Around the Network
2015? I don't think they are doing anything about it.