Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saw this today in Japan

P4S

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Green098 said:

Though in Japan the sales numbers between the Wii U and PS4 aren't that far apart with Wii U at 3.31 million and 4.16 million for PS4. Granted the Wii U's been out for a bit longer but these numbers are still close enough to keep it relevant, well at least was since the successor is coming.

The sales so far this year are : 274k PS4 against 7k Wii U. For 2016, it was 1.8M PS4 against 293k Wii U. The Wii U had a confortable lead thanks to its early release (2012 against 2014), but it pretty quickly became irrelevant, and not (only) because of the successor's announcement.

Right, but launch aligned sales were equal... PS4 surpassed in 2016 only because Nintendo killed it for switch!

Do you remember how much it was selling in the holidays of 2015 thanks to splatoon which was released in early summer and super mario maker in early autumn?  If not, you will remember, that wii u had stock issues in the beginning of 2016 because of selling x2.5 of what Nintnedo was expecting on holidays -nov-dec 400k - ( that with expensive bundles unlike 2013 when it had crazy deals  and sold the same amount, just to understand the power of smm and mainly splatoon ), depleting the invetory in the warehouse, nintendo never restock it sufficiently as they curtailed the production worldwide due to the announcement of the samely priced switch.

 

Wii u now has only 19k units on the shelves across the whole Japan and an inflated price.



P4S...Disappointment awaits.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

tak13 said:
Faelco said:

The sales so far this year are : 274k PS4 against 7k Wii U. For 2016, it was 1.8M PS4 against 293k Wii U. The Wii U had a confortable lead thanks to its early release (2012 against 2014), but it pretty quickly became irrelevant, and not (only) because of the successor's announcement.

Right, but launch aligned sales were equal... PS4 surpassed in 2016 only because Nintendo killed it for switch!

Do you remember how much it was selling in the holidays of 2015 thanks to splatoon which was released in early summer and super mario maker in early autumn?  If not, you will remember, that wii u had stock issues in the beginning of 2016 because of selling x2.5 of what Nintnedo was expecting on holidays -nov-dec 400k - ( that with expensive bundles unlike 2013 when it had crazy deals  and sold the same amount, just to understand the power of smm and mainly splatoon ), depleting the invetory in the warehouse, nintendo never restock it sufficiently as they curtailed the production worldwide due to the announcement of the samely priced switch.

 

Wii u now has only 19k units on the shelves across the whole Japan and an inflated price.

Yeah, right, we know, Nintendo stopped producing and shipping Wii Us in January 2016 because of the launch of the Switch in March 2017, more than a year later. This excuse was already not enough in January 2016, it's still not enough now. The console lived for 2 years because it was the only new console for a while, and then kept selling at Christmas thanks to a couple of popular games, but it never took off. Nintendo launched the Switch because the Wii U was failing, not the other way around.



Green098 said:

Though in Japan the sales numbers between the Wii U and PS4 aren't that far apart with Wii U at 3.31 million and 4.16 million for PS4. Granted the Wii U's been out for a bit longer but these numbers are still close enough to keep it relevant, well at least was since the successor is coming.

Yeah, it's pretty remarkable. Sony home consoles use to be unstoppable in Japan and now, it takes YEARS just to pass Nintendo's lowest selling console of all time lol. When Switch launches, it's game over for Sony. It's going to be slaughter in Japan.



Green098 said:

Though in Japan the sales numbers between the Wii U and PS4 aren't that far apart with Wii U at 3.31 million and 4.16 million for PS4. Granted the Wii U's been out for a bit longer but these numbers are still close enough to keep it relevant, well at least was since the successor is coming.

Wii U was out a lot longer.  



tak13 said:

Wii u now has only 19k units on the shelves across the whole Japan and an inflated price.

That isn't true at all.

Aeon digital, Ito yokado and various Bic Camera, Yodobashi camera and Yamada denki stores with remaining stock are actually selling them either at their normal price or lower.



What the heck is a P4S anyway?

pray4mojo said:
Green098 said:

Though in Japan the sales numbers between the Wii U and PS4 aren't that far apart with Wii U at 3.31 million and 4.16 million for PS4. Granted the Wii U's been out for a bit longer but these numbers are still close enough to keep it relevant, well at least was since the successor is coming.

Yeah, it's pretty remarkable. Sony home consoles use to be unstoppable in Japan and now, it takes YEARS just to pass Nintendo's lowest selling console of all time lol. When Switch launches, it's game over for Sony. It's going to be slaughter in Japan.

Poor Sony, time to kill the PS4

/s



Around the Network

P4S xD
Where was this taken? Didn't expect to see these things outside of south east asia.

tak13 said:
Faelco said:

The sales so far this year are : 274k PS4 against 7k Wii U. For 2016, it was 1.8M PS4 against 293k Wii U. The Wii U had a confortable lead thanks to its early release (2012 against 2014), but it pretty quickly became irrelevant, and not (only) because of the successor's announcement.

Right, but launch aligned sales were equal... PS4 surpassed in 2016 only because Nintendo killed it for switch!

Do you remember how much it was selling in the holidays of 2015 thanks to splatoon which was released in early summer and super mario maker in early autumn?  If not, you will remember, that wii u had stock issues in the beginning of 2016 because of selling x2.5 of what Nintnedo was expecting on holidays ( that with expensive bundles unlike 2013 when it had crazy deals  and sold the same amount, just to understand the power of smm and mainly splatoon ), depleting the invetory in the warehouse, nintendo never restock it sufficiently as they curtailed the production worldwide due to the announcement of the samely priced switch.

 

Wii u now has only 19k units on the shelves across the whole Japan.

Launch aligned PS4 passed Wii U in sales after 85 weeks on the market, which would be around August 2014.





But you also have to take into acount that Wii U has one extra holiday sale over PS4, so if PS4 had launched in December like the Wii U did rather than in February, PS4 would have passed Wii U sooner.

Every year they were on the Japanese market together, PS4 sold significantly better.

2014:
Wii U: 610k

PS4: 970k (Launched in Feb, so missing January sales. But this being its launch year more than made up for that.)

2015:
Wii U: 870k
PS4: 1,3m

The chart was created before 2016 had ended, but up until that point 2016 looked like this:
Wii U: 240k
PS4: 910m

But at what point specifically did Nintendo kill Wii U according to you?