Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch VR HMD mockups.

Can't see VR working on Switch for commercial reasons mainly. Their pricing structure destroys the budget entry VR model and docked performance of the console looks weaker than expected. Most importantly they haven't made it a major part of the Switch promotion and without a healthy adoption rate there is little reason to make VR software. It feels pretty much like the VR potential of the Switch is dead.

If Nintendo don't abandon the Switch sometime this year and it gets to a revised model that would be the model to introduce VR but the appalling range of limited games means I really don't think there is much to see here. I think android is the future of budget VR. I love my Arealer Sky VR headset. The Sony PSVR is the logical next step for someone who wants something more powerful.

I don't agree that 720p is too low a resolution though I just think combining that with a $100 plastic headset and $60 games is just not commercially viable.

Around the Network
Not a VR expert, but can VR work with Switch's power? Isn't it underpowered to handle VR right? Honest question, I don't really know about it.

bonzobanana said:
Can't see VR working on Switch for commercial reasons mainly. Their pricing structure destroys the budget entry VR model and docked performance of the console looks weaker than expected. Most importantly they haven't made it a major part of the Switch promotion and without a healthy adoption rate there is little reason to make VR software. It feels pretty much like the VR potential of the Switch is dead.

If Nintendo don't abandon the Switch sometime this year and it gets to a revised model that would be the model to introduce VR but the appalling range of limited games means I really don't think there is much to see here. I think android is the future of budget VR. I love my Arealer Sky VR headset. The Sony PSVR is the logical next step for someone who wants something more powerful.

I don't agree that 720p is too low a resolution though I just think combining that with a $100 plastic headset and $60 games is just not commercially viable.

 

Yes, the games need to be smaller, inexpensive titles that offer a shorter experience. Nobody is going to have the Switch strapped to their head for several hours.

   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:
bonzobanana said:
Can't see VR working on Switch for commercial reasons mainly. Their pricing structure destroys the budget entry VR model and docked performance of the console looks weaker than expected. Most importantly they haven't made it a major part of the Switch promotion and without a healthy adoption rate there is little reason to make VR software. It feels pretty much like the VR potential of the Switch is dead.

If Nintendo don't abandon the Switch sometime this year and it gets to a revised model that would be the model to introduce VR but the appalling range of limited games means I really don't think there is much to see here. I think android is the future of budget VR. I love my Arealer Sky VR headset. The Sony PSVR is the logical next step for someone who wants something more powerful.

I don't agree that 720p is too low a resolution though I just think combining that with a $100 plastic headset and $60 games is just not commercially viable.

 

Yes, the games need to be smaller, inexpensive titles that offer a shorter experience. Nobody is going to have the Switch strapped to their head for several hours.

I don't think Nintendo does inexpensive anymore. Android is full of light short VR experiences, most of them free. Nintendo would probably embaress themselves trying to charge high sums for minor VR titles converted from android.



irstupid said:
What does everyone find so gaudy about this?

Looks just like every other VR headset out there. But if Nintendo goes VR, they do have a cheap headset. I can't imagine that thing would cost more than $100.

Consider how big the Switch is to most phones and then the fact that it has a 720p display. It would be for awful for VR.



which nintendo ip would benefit from this????????

ohhhhh how about.... KID ICARUS!!!

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Also notice one side of the HMD is blue and the other side is red? So you know which Joy-Con goes in which hand.

Except they go in opposite hands haha. Whoops!



bonzobanana said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

 

Yes, the games need to be smaller, inexpensive titles that offer a shorter experience. Nobody is going to have the Switch strapped to their head for several hours.

I don't think Nintendo does inexpensive anymore. Android is full of light short VR experiences, most of them free. Nintendo would probably embaress themselves trying to charge high sums for minor VR titles converted from android.

 

Can't argue with you..... $50.00 for 1-2 Switch......

   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

TheLastStarFighter said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:
Also notice one side of the HMD is blue and the other side is red? So you know which Joy-Con goes in which hand.

Except they go in opposite hands haha. Whoops!

 

Congratulations, you are the first to notice it. Whoops indeed.

   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:
See how the Switch slides up from the bottom? That looks weird but it is actually how it would work, being the opposite of the Joy-Con rails.

Well, you could just flip the displayed image upside down.



Am I funny yet?
The first rule of entertainment: Always do the Thing.