Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm sick of Nintendo's 720p games... We should have minimum 900p atleast for Switch

NATO said:
monocle_layton said:

It's not that I don't want to read it. I just find it hilarious how people can get so irritated over a device they probably wouldn't have even bought in the first place. What do you gain from whining over a screen? Will Nintendo magically go to a high quality 1080p samsung screen just so you have another place to watch Netflix? 

Please please please, don't use the argument of assuming whether someone will or won't be buying a particular console.

I have been both vocal and mostly negative about the Switch, it's features, it's software, Nintendo in general, and I'll still have a switch sat on my desk come March 3rd, the "well you likely wouldn't be buying one anyway" angle is so tired, wrong and pointless.

The only time people ever use that tact is to dismiss another persons points without actually addressing them.

The problem is that unlike you, whining over a 1080p is essentially useless.

 

I said it before- the screen would make the battery life worse, which would make them complain about the battery life even more. yes, you can point to the Galaxy X having a 2k/4k screen, but is it really necessary? As gorgeous as the screen  is on my Note 5, I honestly would sacrifice the 2k screen for a 1080p screen if it means a better battery life. 

The difference between 720p-1080p isn't as big as the difference between subhd-HD, especially when it comes to Indies. It'd just be a waste to put so much effort on the screen when most people who tried it out already said it is solid.



It's kind of nice to have a fresh start. You feel like a whole new person.

Around the Network
Yerm said:
when docked to a TV it can display 1080p, but the Switch itself has a 720p screen

Seriously?



Mystro-Sama said:
Yerm said:
when docked to a TV it can display 1080p, but the Switch itself has a 720p screen

Seriously?

Yep.

1080p screen would've made the battery life much lower, thus making the portability redundant.



It's kind of nice to have a fresh start. You feel like a whole new person.

monocle_layton said:
NATO said:

Please please please, don't use the argument of assuming whether someone will or won't be buying a particular console.

I have been both vocal and mostly negative about the Switch, it's features, it's software, Nintendo in general, and I'll still have a switch sat on my desk come March 3rd, the "well you likely wouldn't be buying one anyway" angle is so tired, wrong and pointless.

The only time people ever use that tact is to dismiss another persons points without actually addressing them.

The problem is that unlike you, whining over a 1080p is essentially useless.

 

I said it before- the screen would make the battery life worse, which would make them complain about the battery life even more. yes, you can point to the Galaxy X having a 2k/4k screen, but is it really necessary? As gorgeous as the screen  is on my Note 5, I honestly would sacrifice the 2k screen for a 1080p screen if it means a better battery life. 

The difference between 720p-1080p isn't as big as the difference between subhd-HD, especially when it comes to Indies. It'd just be a waste to put so much effort on the screen when most people who tried it out already said it is solid.

I've already stated that I think 720p with good aa/effects would have been a better fit than the 1080p no aa, but at the same time, they shouldn't lock performance mode behind the tvout automatic switch, it should be triggered by power input and stick with 720p all together, that way if you connected a charger, or external battery pack via usb-c you'd get performance mode on the go.

That to me would have been way more appealing.



monocle_layton said:

Will Nintendo magically go to a high quality 1080p samsung screen just so you have another place to watch Netflix? 

It's called a discussion.

Plus Nintendo has the door open to release a revised model with a larger, higher resolution screen.

And what makes you think Netflix is the only app?

monocle_layton said:

I just find it hilarious how people can get so irritated over a device they probably wouldn't have even bought in the first place.


Because you know exactly what my purchasing decisions are, right?

monocle_layton said:

I said it before- the screen would make the battery life worse, which would make them complain about the battery life even more. yes, you can point to the Galaxy X having a 2k/4k screen, but is it really necessary? As gorgeous as the screen  is on my Note 5, I honestly would sacrifice the 2k screen for a 1080p screen if it means a better battery life. 

The difference between 720p-1080p isn't as big as the difference between subhd-HD, especially when it comes to Indies. It'd just be a waste to put so much effort on the screen when most people who tried it out already said it is solid.

The Note 5 (I also have one) battery life is due to other terrible decisions. The anemic battery is one of them.
Converesly, my Note 5's battery life beats my Lumia 920 which had a 720P display. Go figure.

What if I told you that you can have a higher resolution display... And save battery life? Different display technologies have different power requirements, plain-jane IPS isn't the most efficient display technology on the market. - But I think you already know that, but forget to mention it?

More to it than just resolution that consumes power.



---:::}}} Part of the PC Gaming Master Race. {{{:::---

I wonder later on if there will be a Switch model that actually abandons the current portable mode and gives full docked performance as a portable as an option and hdmi output just switches on when you dock it without any need to change display resolution output. I guess a battery economy mode could be enabled that drops it to current Switch portable performance and would run the revised Switch 1080p screen at 720p although not sure if that would save power for the screen itself but would save power for the gpu.

One thing that has been very unimpressive about the Switch is its docked performance compared to Portable. The upgrade in graphics hardly seems worrying about.

In fact completely contrary to the above statement I would mind if there was a budget Switch portable, smaller etc that still had hdmi output and never went above portable performance even when connected to tv's. That way it could be made smaller more quickly to takeover from 3DS.

This first version of Switch just seems really rubbish to be honest to me. I don't think a Nintendo console has ever been more disappointing.

 

Prediction for end of 2014

PS4 19m, wii u 10m, Xbone 8m

(wii u number based on a predicted wii u price drop and mario kart bundle)

bonzobanana said:
I wonder later on if there will be a Switch model that actually abandons the current portable mode and gives full docked performance as a portable as an option and hdmi output just switches on when you dock it without any need to change display resolution output. I guess a battery economy mode could be enabled that drops it to current Switch portable performance and would run the revised Switch 1080p screen at 720p although not sure if that would save power for the screen itself but would save power for the gpu.

One thing that has been very unimpressive about the Switch is its docked performance compared to Portable. The upgrade in graphics hardly seems worrying about.

In fact completely contrary to the above statement I would mind if there was a budget Switch portable, smaller etc that still had hdmi output and never went above portable performance even when connected to tv's. That way it could be made smaller more quickly to takeover from 3DS.

This first version of Switch just seems really rubbish to be honest to me. I don't think a Nintendo console has ever been more disappointing.

Given Nintendo's history, it's pretty much guaranteed there will be multiple variants of the Switch over the next few years, just like the DSi/2DS/New 3DS.



GBA was 240 × 160, the games still look good.



caffeinade said:

GBA was 240 × 160, the games still look good.

While I don't disagree, GBA's graphics were designed to be viewed on a 2.9 inch screen.

I personally am fine with playing them on my TV via Wii U Virtual Console, but still, playing on a portable versus playing on a big screen TV are totally different ball games as far as resolution goes.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
caffeinade said:

GBA was 240 × 160, the games still look good.

While I don't disagree, GBA's graphics were designed to be viewed on a 2.9 inch screen.

I personally am fine with playing them on my TV via Wii U Virtual Console, but still, playing on a portable versus playing on a big screen TV are totally different ball games as far as resolution goes.

Emulating GBA games on a TV... It doesn't look as crisp as SNES emulation due to the lower resolution either, even if the GBA was able to do more and better effects.



---:::}}} Part of the PC Gaming Master Race. {{{:::---