Quantcast
Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

Btw, I was just watching PS Access's 20 confirmed 2017 games to play. If we ignore games without default characters, games where we have diversity:

Horizon
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Persona 5
Prey
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Nier: Automata
Gravity Rush

Games where you can only play as a white male characters
RE7
Ni No Kuni 2
NiOh
Outlast 2

Funnily enough most of the games with a white male are Asian games.

Red Dead 2, we don't know who the main character is yet.



Around the Network

Why do you guys want diversity?
Never heard a black person complain about diversity in video games. Never heard anyone complain except white males and politically deranged feminists.



I can say that I couldn't care less about the diversity portrayed... as long as the characters are believable and their gender/race/religion/etc is adherent to the story being told, or set period I'm ok with it. Besides that I don't bother too much thinking "own I don't want to play with a black chick". I loved playing Mirror's Edge even though the protagonist was a hot asian female



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make whether a generic main character's skin is white, brown, black, yellow, green, etc or are male or female? Diversity for diversity's sake isn't a huge deal until you want to gender swap or race swap an established character just because, I mean what does that really accomplish?

I have no issue with a more diverse cast in games but I believe storytelling and gameplay are far more important than racial diversity or lack thereof imo. Plus if skin color or gender are deal breakers for some, than they should stick to playing games where you can create your own character like Skyrim and Minecraft.



Currently Playing: SSB: Ultimate Splatoon 2, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, & Fortnite

UnderstatedCornHole said:
Why do you guys want diversity?
Never heard a black person complain about diversity in video games. Never heard anyone complain except white males and politically deranged feminists.

I don't care honestly, but I think that if the developer is able to, they should at least do a minimum of black/white and male/female. Not for every game, but for ones where you explore and grow( Pokemon, skyrim, MMO's, etc.)



 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Games can just make customizing your character more often to please everyone. Just have it like Monster Hunter or most MMOs where you tinker with the characters looks at the start of the game.



hershel_layton said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:
Why do you guys want diversity?
Never heard a black person complain about diversity in video games. Never heard anyone complain except white males and politically deranged feminists.

I don't care honestly, but I think that if the developer is able to, they should at least do a minimum of black/white and male/female. Not for every game, but for ones where you explore and grow( Pokemon, skyrim, MMO's, etc.)

Diversity is a bit of a red herring as it can mean many things. When it's used today, it's usually used in the context of positive discrimination and it is not linked to quality, talent, merrit etc.

Diversity is not good by default and the concept that it is is a lie sown by people who have an agenda. This lie is then puppeted by average individuals with virtual signal complex who are inherrantly good people who want to do good things.

That's where it ends though. Diveristy, should be justified, not explicitly to me or anyone inparticular but for the context in which it is being pushed for.

This isn't really diversity as in the meaning of today as I think people are replying to this thread.

I agree with you, in MMO's, RPGs and the like then absolutely it shouldn't be just some white guy to choose from provided the choices are made for the sake of the quality of the game and not to appease anyone for political and social reasons.

What I'm completely against is this forced diversity where the increase in diversity is not being made based on market force but political force.



UnderstatedCornHole said:
hershel_layton said:

I don't care honestly, but I think that if the developer is able to, they should at least do a minimum of black/white and male/female. Not for every game, but for ones where you explore and grow( Pokemon, skyrim, MMO's, etc.)

Diversity is a bit of a red herring as it can mean many things. When it's used today, it's usually used in the context of positive discrimination and it is not linked to quality, talent, merrit etc.

Diversity is not good by default and the concept that it is is a lie sown by people who have an agenda. This lie is then puppeted by average individuals with virtual signal complex who are inherrantly good people who want to do good things.

That's where it ends though. Diveristy, should be justified, not explicitly to me or anyone inparticular but for the context in which it is being pushed for.

This isn't really diversity as in the meaning of today as I think people are replying to this thread.

I agree with you, in MMO's, RPGs and the like then absolutely it shouldn't be just some white guy to choose from provided the choices are made for the sake of the quality of the game and not to appease anyone for political and social reasons.

What I'm completely against is this forced diversity where the increase in diversity is not being made based on market force but political force.

so adding some non-white chicks/dudes is politically-forced agendas? 



 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

Diversity is a bit of a red herring as it can mean many things. When it's used today, it's usually used in the context of positive discrimination and it is not linked to quality, talent, merrit etc.

Diversity is not good by default and the concept that it is is a lie sown by people who have an agenda. This lie is then puppeted by average individuals with virtual signal complex who are inherrantly good people who want to do good things.

That's where it ends though. Diveristy, should be justified, not explicitly to me or anyone inparticular but for the context in which it is being pushed for.

This isn't really diversity as in the meaning of today as I think people are replying to this thread.

I agree with you, in MMO's, RPGs and the like then absolutely it shouldn't be just some white guy to choose from provided the choices are made for the sake of the quality of the game and not to appease anyone for political and social reasons.

What I'm completely against is this forced diversity where the increase in diversity is not being made based on market force but political force.

so adding some non-white chicks/dudes is politically-forced agendas? 

Depending on the reasons you do it, yes it's.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

hershel_layton said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

Diversity is a bit of a red herring as it can mean many things. When it's used today, it's usually used in the context of positive discrimination and it is not linked to quality, talent, merrit etc.

Diversity is not good by default and the concept that it is is a lie sown by people who have an agenda. This lie is then puppeted by average individuals with virtual signal complex who are inherrantly good people who want to do good things.

That's where it ends though. Diveristy, should be justified, not explicitly to me or anyone inparticular but for the context in which it is being pushed for.

This isn't really diversity as in the meaning of today as I think people are replying to this thread.

I agree with you, in MMO's, RPGs and the like then absolutely it shouldn't be just some white guy to choose from provided the choices are made for the sake of the quality of the game and not to appease anyone for political and social reasons.

What I'm completely against is this forced diversity where the increase in diversity is not being made based on market force but political force.

so adding some non-white chicks/dudes is politically-forced agendas? 

Please do me the courtesy of reading the post in future.