Quantcast
Locked: PS4 Pro is a 800$ Gaming PC, Best bang for your Buck

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Pro is a 800$ Gaming PC, Best bang for your Buck

Thing is, with that $800 PC you can choose to play games at 1080p max settings. With PS4 Pro you're stuck with the equivalent of medium-high settings in most games, regardless of rather you have a 1080p or 4K tv, because only a few devs are choosing to make a 1080p with improved graphics mode for their games on PS4 Pro.



Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Ruler said:

Some comparison with PC hardware

 

CPU = AMD FX8350 with cooler 174$

GPU = RX 480 8GB 280$

MB = Gigabyte AM3+ 53$

Ram = 8GB 34$

PSU = 500w 38$

HD = 1TB 37$

Blu Ray Drive = 55$

DualShock 4 = 47$

Windows 10 = 85$

total 803$

and now ad in 200$ if you life in Europe

 

 

I dont get how can people hate Sony for giving you a Gaming PC for half the price like what is wrong with that? The PS4 Pro is a wonderfull value to anybody not only console gamers 

 

 

Okay. So.
1) Anyone who buys an AMD FX AM3+ system right now is essentially wasting money.

2) Ram. Go with a Crucial Ballistics 2x4Gb DDR3 1600mhz memory for $34. - Same price, more performance.

2) Get the OS from Computer Recyclers/Swap meet for a couple bucks/free. - Save $80 - $85

3) Stick with the keyboard and mouse rather than the PS4 controller. - Save: $40

4) PC is mostly digital, you can ditch the optical drive or go with the cheaper LG at $46. - Save: $9 - $55.

5) If you really need to stay with AMD, get the FX 6300 instead. - Save: $84

6) Do you really need an 8Gb Radeon 480 card? The 4Gb card is more than enough for most people. - Save $51

That's up-to $315 shaved off right there and I wasn't even trying.

Converesly, you can't ignore the cheaper games, free online either. If you have a large games library like I do, you could save a shit ton of cash.
This kind of comparison happens with every new console release, nothing has changed with the Playstation 4 Pro verses the Playstation 4's release relative to the PC.
And really, I doubt you are going to convince PC gamers to leave their platform anyway.

Ultimately though, I think you are missing the point of the PC. It's about choice.
You wan't better hardware than the Playstation 4 Pro? Then you shall have it.
Want a gaming PC that's cheaper than the Playstation 4 Pro? But with less quality graphics? You can have that too.


Of course you can cheap out on your components and get the OS from an obscure place. But should you really do that if you built a PC for gaming and work? And yes the dualshock and BD Rom should be included, if you want similiar value. Espacially the Dualshock or Xbox One controller as a lot of PC gamers are suggesting console gamers switching to PC. The Radeo should have 8GB as the PS4 pro has shared memories.

So you suggest that going for AMD cpus is a waste but what should i go for then? An 8 core Intel CPU which cost 1000s of dollars?



I'd compare it more to an Athlon and Rx 470.  Making it around a $550 PC.

The controller is subsidized into the cost, not worth adding it to the cost of a pC build to compare the hardware head to head.



PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

vivster said:
Acevil said:

Well maybe you should make threads on PC. However try to be a bit more logic based and not compare night and day.

You mean like this thread?



 

shikamaru317 said:

Thing is, with that $800 PC you can choose to play games at 1080p max settings. With PS4 Pro you're stuck with the equivalent of medium-high settings in most games, regardless of rather you have a 1080p or 4K tv, because only a few devs are choosing to make a 1080p with improved graphics mode for their games on PS4 Pro.

The thing isnt even released yet, a lot of games and all games from now on will offer improved graphics for every TV setting



Around the Network

It is kind of sad or funny depends on you how you like this cup of tea served...

But so many bought a 399 ps4, who also want to upgrade to a PS4 pro that is another 399 who already spend 150ish on the ability to play games online and buy some games twice + more expensive than on PC....and oh god if they are interested in PSVR another 399 (not with camera/move controllers included).... honestly console gaming was cheap but now it feels just less expensive or even more expensive depends on how many games you buy and if you keep on paying for playing online. so that argument about pc is expensive is becoming sad or funny.

I am a bit silly and have gold and PS plus for years and probably spend more than a 1.000 euro on it combined and the games I bought are in total probably 500-1000 euro more than If I would have bought them on PC....  That amound of money is becoming a very nice pc, lucky I already have a great pc and money is not an issue...






Lawlight said:
malistix1985 said:

Its a RX480 but the clock speed is wayyyyy lower and it has shared memory and stuff, a RX480 in the PC is much faster, also has the ability to increase the base clock (which is already faster) and this is not possible on the PS4.

So yes the performance is closer to the RX470 because of that, sony proberbly did this to reduce the heat produces by the graphical card.

Yeah, let's forget the other advantages that a console has. In John Carmack's words: Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.

if that 2x thing is true then why is it that the PS4 or the PS4Pro doesnt give 2x the performance of an equal card? hell in many cases the equal card beats out the PS4-Ps4pro..



Ruler said:
shikamaru317 said:

Thing is, with that $800 PC you can choose to play games at 1080p max settings. With PS4 Pro you're stuck with the equivalent of medium-high settings in most games, regardless of rather you have a 1080p or 4K tv, because only a few devs are choosing to make a 1080p with improved graphics mode for their games on PS4 Pro.

The thing isnt even released yet, a lot of games and all games from now on will offer improved graphics for every TV setting

My point is, out of the 10+ games announced to have PS4 Pro game modes so far, only 3 have been announced to have improved graphics at 1080p versus PS4, Paragon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and For Honor. Yes there will be more games that have a 1080p imprved graphics mode in the future, but since Sony left the choice up to developers I feel most of them will take the lazy route and only offer two modes, 4K with PS4 equivalent graphics and 1080p with supersampling and PS4 equivalent graphics. 

On the other hand, that $800 PC can play almost every current game at 1080p very high/ultra settings at 60 fps. Many PS4 Pro games don't have improved framerate either, they still run at 30 fps. 

Yes, PS4 Pro value is good, but it's not right for everyone. 



konnichiwa said:

It is kind of sad or funny depends on you how you like this cup of tea served...

But so many bought a 399 ps4, who also want to upgrade to a PS4 pro that is another 399 who already spend 150ish on the ability to play games online and buy some games twice + more expensive than on PC....and oh god if they are interested in PSVR another 399 (not with camera/move controllers included).... honestly console gaming was cheap but now it feels just less expensive or even more expensive depends on how many games you buy and if you keep on paying for playing online. so that argument about pc is expensive is becoming sad or funny.

I am a bit silly and have gold and PS plus for years and probably spend more than a 1.000 euro on it combined and the games I bought are in total probably 500-1000 euro more than If I would have bought them on PC....  That amound of money is becoming a very nice pc, lucky I already have a great pc and money is not an issue...

you can sell your old console for 150€ at least like what is you agrument here? PSVR is 399€ much much much cheaper than occlust rift and vive for 800-600€.

PS+ offers you the same games you would buy in steam for free, PC AAA titles are just as pricey as on consoles if not more as they are digital only.  Stop putting out false info/perspective.



Ruler said:
Pemalite said:

Okay. So.
1) Anyone who buys an AMD FX AM3+ system right now is essentially wasting money.

2) Ram. Go with a Crucial Ballistics 2x4Gb DDR3 1600mhz memory for $34. - Same price, more performance.

2) Get the OS from Computer Recyclers/Swap meet for a couple bucks/free. - Save $80 - $85

3) Stick with the keyboard and mouse rather than the PS4 controller. - Save: $40

4) PC is mostly digital, you can ditch the optical drive or go with the cheaper LG at $46. - Save: $9 - $55.

5) If you really need to stay with AMD, get the FX 6300 instead. - Save: $84

6) Do you really need an 8Gb Radeon 480 card? The 4Gb card is more than enough for most people. - Save $51

That's up-to $315 shaved off right there and I wasn't even trying.

Converesly, you can't ignore the cheaper games, free online either. If you have a large games library like I do, you could save a shit ton of cash.
This kind of comparison happens with every new console release, nothing has changed with the Playstation 4 Pro verses the Playstation 4's release relative to the PC.
And really, I doubt you are going to convince PC gamers to leave their platform anyway.

Ultimately though, I think you are missing the point of the PC. It's about choice.
You wan't better hardware than the Playstation 4 Pro? Then you shall have it.
Want a gaming PC that's cheaper than the Playstation 4 Pro? But with less quality graphics? You can have that too.


Of course you can cheap out on your components and get the OS from an obscure place. But should you really do that if you built a PC for gaming and work? And yes the dualshock and BD Rom should be included, if you want similiar value. Espacially the Dualshock or Xbox One controller as a lot of PC gamers are suggesting console gamers switching to PC. The Radeo should have 8GB as the PS4 pro has shared memories.

So you suggest that going for AMD cpus is a waste but what should i go for then? An 8 core Intel CPU which cost 1000s of dollars?

Are you planning on getting into PC gaming?. I have a feeling that this is you asking us to look over your build without letting us know your building it xD.