Speak for yourselves. Ireland has thousands of years of rich history, destroyed by other "white" people who came, raped, starved and killed millions of us and we were treated like slaves for hundreds of years. (See the penal laws). Tagging all "white" people is a stereotype and is just as bad as tagging all "black" people. This is an American issue so leave it there please. Not all black people are treated like black Americans. Not all white people have and have had white privilege.
Now we are a wealthy nation because we fought hard to retain our culture and our "privileges" but seriously, it has nothing got to do with being white. We still put up with crap from American and uk media with twisted lies and nonsense. They couldn't have any other country doing well! People will kill eachother no matter what. They will find an excuse. How am I supposed to feel about white privilege? It's an american invention because white people used to own black people in the USA and it will take hundreds of years to level out. It's really white American privilege. I've lived there, and was treated like foreign filth. I should know. Was I privileged?
This is really interesting. If you are okay with talking about it, I would like to hear more about how an Irish person was treated like filth in the USA. I thought anti-Irish discrimination was a thing of the past. As for "putting up with crap from the media", I thought that the only time American media disparaged the Irish was on St. Patrick's Day
Just some examples....
1. People telling me that my daughters who were born in the USA to their American mother should have to carry their passport around with them.
2. Being told on a daily basis that a nice American boy could have been doing the job I stole
3. Constantly being told to shut up. That I know nothing and have no opinion about US affairs.
4. Being called a potatoes muncher. Pure and constant ignorance from Americans trying to tell me about my own country like its A poor place. Telling me things like we had a famine in the 1980s because their "mother told" them. Making jokes about the IRA which is actually part of Northern Ireland, thus a UK problem.
5 being told and argued with that I was British. Britain? A different island.
6. Constant abuse and stereotypes, calling me an alcoholic and saying "you're poor wife must have a terrible time with you being Irish".
7. Being told by my in laws that I was foreign and needed to keep my mouth shut. I was lucky to be in Murica.
8. America is apparently the best at everything and therefore, when Ireland does something well, they automatically got offended with me and had to put me down. Not some people. Most people had NO idea about the outside world.
9. People getting in my face at work, in the street, at the cinema and putting on stupid leprechaun voice and mocking me. Try doing that to a Jewish or black guy.
Now now I am back living in Ireland, surrounded by Americans. The nice kind who couldn't put up with the same xenophobic shit at home that was the reason I left. If you can't live happily in the USA as an Irish person, then i don't know who would like it there. I'm sure some states are ok, but I tried numerous in the Midwest and it stunk of stupid, racists, bigot. The list above could go on and on. Wasted years!
And the media? The only time Ireland is on the news there is when something bad happens. They openly make racist remarks about Irish people. They claim we steal their jobs because we have European head quarters here for there companies. Where else would it be, the fools? it's the EUROPEAN headquarters. And the job stealing? We are all skilled IT and business people. We take those euro market USA company jobs and we do a great job. Then we send back the jobs from our companies that we don't want. Because we get free college and America doesn't have the IT people to fill those jobs. Well we don't have farmers and manufacturers to fill our Kerry group or CRH jobs. So we send those to the USA. The USA makes deals with those companies and that's ok. But when my little country does the same? Shaaaaaaaaaame. Propaganda bs.