Quantcast
How well did your nation perform at the olympics?

Forums - Sports Discussion - How well did your nation perform at the olympics?

fory77 said:
AZWification said:

I was looking the other day at medal tables from past Olympics Games and it's amazing how both Romania and Bulgaria would constantly show up in the top 10 during the communist times.

Yeah, would be nice if it were still so, except for the whole communism thing.

Maybe in 100 years we'll rise once again and win all them medals! Maybe..



                
       ---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Mr_No said:
We got our first gold medal in the history of participating at the Olympics, so I'll say we did much better than expected.

This.  It's a shame what happened to Culson, though. We might've won another medal.



AZWification said:
fory77 said:

Your southern neighbour is not much different, only 1 bronze more than last time.

I was looking the other day at medal tables from past Olympics Games and it's amazing how both Romania and Bulgaria would constantly show up in the top 10 during the communist times.

It's a shame romanias women gymastics team failed to even qualify for the olympics in rio. They used to be absolutely dominant in artistic gymnastics and were beautiful to watch. Those medals are definitevly sorely missing.

Germanys women got to participate in their first ever olympic gymnastics team finals and even snatched a medal at the uneven bars individuals, so I'm happy with that.

I wish Brettschneider would have hung his double twisting kovacs though. No one else even attempts that difficulty. I've seen him do four or five in a row in training perfectly, so it's not like he can't do it. He even attempted double twisting kovacs streched, but dropped on every single attempt. I really hope he'll be able to introduce them at the 2017 world championships.



SuperNova said:
AZWification said:

I was looking the other day at medal tables from past Olympics Games and it's amazing how both Romania and Bulgaria would constantly show up in the top 10 during the communist times.

It's a shame romanias women gymastics team failed to even qualify for the olympics in rio. They used to be absolutely dominant in artistic gymnastics and were beautiful to watch. Those medals are definitevly sorely missing.

Germanys women got to participate in their first ever olympic gymnastics team finals and even snatched a medal at the uneven bars individuals, so I'm happy with that.

I wish Brettschneider would have hung his double twisting kovacs though. No one else even attempts that difficulty. I've seen him do four or five in a row in training perfectly, so it's not like he can't do it. He even attempted double twisting kovacs streched, but dropped on every single attempt. I really hope he'll be able to introduce them at the 2017 world championships.

Definitely. Well, at least we won our first ever medal at tennis! That was probably the highlight for me.



                
       ---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

My country, USA, didn't do too shabby😉



Around the Network

I feel spending public money with sports is a waste. I wished my country didn't spend public resources with sports, if they want to win medals they should look for private sponsors.

My country is Brazil, which did better than everyone expected with 7 golds.



NobleTeam360 said:
United Staes, were predicted to get 108 medals and wound up with 121. So pretty good, Nobody was near our team in terms of total medals or even Gold medals. So I would say our team pretty much dominated.

Yeah, US and particularly UK did great. Congrats!

Looking at medals per capita my country (Denmark) dominated the US though

Rank Country Medals Population Population
per Medal
1 Grenada 1 106,825 106,825
2 Bahamas 2 388,019 194,009
3 Jamaica 11 2,725,941 247,812
4 New Zealand 18 4,595,700 255,316
5 Denmark 15 5,676,002 378,400
[...]        
43 United States 121 321,418,820 2,656,353


finalrpgfantasy said:
Mr_No said:
We got our first gold medal in the history of participating at the Olympics, so I'll say we did much better than expected.

This.  It's a shame what happened to Culson, though. We might've won another medal.

Yeah he was heartbroken. It's too bad he got disqualified like that.



 

Mike_L said:
NobleTeam360 said:
United Staes, were predicted to get 108 medals and wound up with 121. So pretty good, Nobody was near our team in terms of total medals or even Gold medals. So I would say our team pretty much dominated.

Yeah, US and particularly UK did great. Congrats!

Looking at medals per capita my country (Denmark) dominated the US though

Rank Country Medals Population Population
per Medal
1 Grenada 1 106,825 106,825
2 Bahamas 2 388,019 194,009
3 Jamaica 11 2,725,941 247,812
4 New Zealand 18 4,595,700 255,316
5 Denmark 15 5,676,002 378,400
[...]        
43 United States 121 321,418,820 2,656,353

You make an excellent point! I'm happy for all smaller countries. By your figuring China, India and Indonesia (amongst a few others) have some wood shedding to do!! Lol! But my most heartfelt congratulations to ALL countries!! My girlfriends country, the Philippines, with one medal - a silver - with 100 million people has some work to do too😂😂😂 I love the Olympics and seeing the world together competing - it's the greatest!



WiiU-Dude said:
Mike_L said:

Yeah, US and particularly UK did great. Congrats!

Looking at medals per capita my country (Denmark) dominated the US though

Rank Country Medals Population Population
per Medal
1 Grenada 1 106,825 106,825
2 Bahamas 2 388,019 194,009
3 Jamaica 11 2,725,941 247,812
4 New Zealand 18 4,595,700 255,316
5 Denmark 15 5,676,002 378,400
[...]        
43 United States 121 321,418,820 2,656,353

You make an excellent point! I'm happy for all smaller countries. By your figuring China, India and Indonesia (amongst a few others) have some wood shedding to do!! Lol! But my most heartfelt congratulations to ALL countries!! My girlfriends country, the Philippines, with one medal - a silver - with 100 million people has some work to do too😂😂😂 I love the Olympics and seeing the world together competing - it's the greatest!

Agreed!

Personally, these have been the most interesting Olympics Games I've ever followed. So many memorable moments. And what a perfect setting. Brazil did great.

 

I'll definitely be in Tokyo in 2020 to experience the games first hand. I love Tokyo, Japan and the Japanese people.