Quantcast
Nintendo NX to support UE4?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo NX to support UE4?

That's a given.

What's more interesting is seeing what devices UE5 will be possible on.



I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
That's a given.

What's more interesting is seeing what devices UE5 will be possible on.

The thing is they don't bring the engine out to what it is possible on. They bring it out on what makes the most sense to spend their time and money on optimizing it for. If the NX does well it would matter if they are running it on a dorrito chip, though it would have to be an unretired dorrito chip, it will have the support of that engine. It was possible for them to make UE4 for the Wii U but they choose not to because it didn't make business sense, but they did say that if a developer wanted to take time to optimize the engine for the platform they would be able to do so. In fact a few posts up Bloodstained is coming to the Wii U and it was made to run with UE4



SuperNova said:
sundin13 said:
Bloodstained uses UE4 and is coming to Wii U so I don't think "support for an engine" is really a huge deal.

Mighty Nr.9 uses UE3, if I remember correctly, and is a disaster for it because the engine doesn't properly support WiiU. (And I mean 'disaster' from a purely technical standpoint, regardless of how bad the game is anyways. It actually managed to brick WiiUs after launch)

Please cite your source that UE3 is not properly supported on Wii U.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

One would bloody well hope UE4 supports NX. Its the main third party engine this gen.



KungKras said:
That's a given.

What's more interesting is seeing what devices UE5 will be possible on.

UE5 is not on the horizon, if NX can run some of the UE4 showpieces without major degrades that would be a huge feat. 

 



Around the Network
teigaga said:
One would bloody well hope UE4 supports NX. Its the main third party engine this gen.

It's hardly been use this generation. Aside from indie games. Tekken 7 and Street Fight V are the first AAA titles that use UE4. They currently are the only ones on the market if I'm not mistaken. Many more are coming. All but two of them on the list are from Japanese Developers, which is rather a plot twist. Those two are Gears of War 4 and Eve: Valkyrie. Fable: Legends was using it but it's been canceled. I'm obviously not including games by Epic.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games




SpokenTruth said:
SuperNova said:

Mighty Nr.9 uses UE3, if I remember correctly, and is a disaster for it because the engine doesn't properly support WiiU. (And I mean 'disaster' from a purely technical standpoint, regardless of how bad the game is anyways. It actually managed to brick WiiUs after launch)

Please cite your source that UE3 is not properly supported on Wii U.

Not supporting an engine like UE4 (or rather the enigne not supporting the console) is a huge deal, today more than ever before. Not only are engines like UE4 widely used and supported, they have opened up even more in the last years: Nearly all bigger engines have become cheap or free to use instead of needing to be bought for thousands of dollars. Students, self-learners, indies, just everyone can use Unreal, Source 2, Cryengine, lumberyard, unity and more today. Those people (I being one of them) will be the devs of tomorrow.
And let me tell you, not having native engine support is a HUGE deal. I already had enough problems with just getting my projects to run just on 64bit Win and thats literally the easiest thing the UE4 can do. (And I had the support of my professors and other students as well!)

To bring a game from an engine like that to a not supported platform has to be a nightmare from all I heard.
Its possible if you are really good, have a lot of people that know their shit and enough time & money, but no developer ever would do it voluntarily. Its just way to much work and trouble.



The new guy.

Sorry for possible mistakes, not a native speaker!

This is news? Reminds me of a thread on here a few months ago... I think that one was for the NX supporting Unity. xD



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

Switch lite really screwed up my Switch prediction this year! Looks like it's going to be about 19.5m-20m for the Switch in 2019, 14.3m for PS4.

Airaku said:
teigaga said:
One would bloody well hope UE4 supports NX. Its the main third party engine this gen.

It's hardly been use this generation. Aside from indie games. Tekken 7 and Street Fight V are the first AAA titles that use UE4. They currently are the only ones on the market if I'm not mistaken. Many more are coming. All but two of them on the list are from Japanese Developers, which is rather a plot twist. Those two are Gears of War 4 and Eve: Valkyrie. Fable: Legends was using it but it's been canceled. I'm obviously not including games by Epic.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games


Yeah, its not used a ton yet, its still the primary third party engine, I think a lot of indie devs are using it. Its also being used for Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII. I Imagine its popularity will grow in the coming years.



There is no reason why it couldn't besides fees. Nintendo must realize that for most games they will have fastwr development by using pre-existing game-engines. It would probably shave off six months to a year of development time, and considering how versatile game engines are today the games won't look like clones.