Quantcast
Opinion: Only Sony and Nintendo Have Exclusives, Now

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Only Sony and Nintendo Have Exclusives, Now

So only Sony and Nintendo got exclusive games now

Yes, that's right. 432 71.76%
 
Yes but I don't care. 67 11.13%
 
No. 103 17.11%
 
Total:602
MikeRox said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Yeah its really weird, I don't really understand MicroSofts reasoning here. I want to see how it plays out.

Windows is a Microsoft platform, so MS have an interest in putting software exclusively onto it (as opposed to just via steam etc.)

 

If you're already paying to develop high end software, why not put it on both?

 

It wouldn't surprise me if sony ended up doing the same if it looked like the extra software sales justified it. 

 

Games aren't cheap to develop anymore.

Windows isn't a Plataform, the Hardware is a Plataform and because of that Windows 10 is in Different plataforms, Putting their games on Steam would be the same than putting their games on their "Plataform" they would just need to pay some money for Steam.

OS isn't a Plataform and if Sony or Nintendo started to use Windows on their consoles this would not means that they are "Microsoft exclusives".



Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
MikeRox said:

Windows is a Microsoft platform, so MS have an interest in putting software exclusively onto it (as opposed to just via steam etc.)

 

If you're already paying to develop high end software, why not put it on both?

 

It wouldn't surprise me if sony ended up doing the same if it looked like the extra software sales justified it. 

 

Games aren't cheap to develop anymore.

Windows isn't a Plataform, the Hardware is a Plataform and because of that Windows 10 is in Different plataforms, Putting their games on Steam would be the same than putting their games on their "Plataform" they would just need to pay some money for Steam.

OS isn't a Plataform and if Sony or Nintendo started to use Windows on their consoles this would not means that they are "Microsoft exclusives".

Windows actually is a platform.  Especially in a situation where without a specific version of said platform you cannot access the content.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Steam.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Windows 8.  You can only buy it on Windows 10.

 

Edit: Also, Steam considers themselves a Platform http://store.steampowered.com/about/



Swordmasterman said:
MikeRox said:

Windows is a Microsoft platform, so MS have an interest in putting software exclusively onto it (as opposed to just via steam etc.)

 

If you're already paying to develop high end software, why not put it on both?

 

It wouldn't surprise me if sony ended up doing the same if it looked like the extra software sales justified it. 

 

Games aren't cheap to develop anymore.

Windows isn't a Plataform, the Hardware is a Plataform and because of that Windows 10 is in Different plataforms, Putting their games on Steam would be the same than putting their games on their "Plataform" they would just need to pay some money for Steam.

OS isn't a Plataform and if Sony or Nintendo started to use Windows on their consoles this would not means that they are "Microsoft exclusives".

when both PS4, and Xbox One are x86, yes the platform is the OS, like Android is a plattform and not Samsung, or like Windows or OSX are plattforms and not x86 computers.

Operative systems are plattforms where you sell your software. MS is and always will be a software company, and selling software is their main purpose. If they can't sell anough software on Xbox One, they're gonna sell on W10 also, and vice versa.



Tim and The Princes...

Swordmasterman said:

If I was to upgrade my PC and update to Windows 10 i would purchase Microsoft games on Windows Store and third Party or other games on Steam, like 99.9% of the gamers, Microsoft get more money from Xbox Live subscription, DLC, and Third Party Sales, than selling first party tittles.

Most PC gamers already on Steam (and happy with it) will naturally prefer the Steam-versions of third party titles at first. But that could change over time, especially if Microsoft offers better conditions than Valve resulting in lower prices or exclusive DLCs or whatever.

New PC gamers with no Steam account (or people unhappy with Steam) could try the Windows store versions and be happy with them, especially if they are nice priced. A few Xbox gamers switching to PC probably would prefer the Windows Store over Steam because they could keep their GamerScore and friend list.

And only a fraction of PC gamers uses mods and will miss them in the Windows Store. Additionally the majority of PC games don't even have mods. I would never play an Unmodded Elder Scrolls or Fallout game, but for most of my PC games I don't even check if there are some obscure mods out there.

Yeah, Microsoft would lose some XBL subscription money from group A (XBL Gold members who switch from Xbox to PC) and group B (people on the fence of buying an Xbox console AND willing to pay for the gold subscription), but all other groups (Xbox gamers not switching to PC; PC gamers not coming from Xbox; XBL Silver members switching to PC...) wouldn't reduce the XBL Gold revenue. Microsoft can afford that lost revenue if that means strengthening their PC position... maybe the additional PC revenue would even make up for it after a while.



Yep couldn't be happier. Any game that comes to xbox one will at least come to PC, which is my main platform anyways.



Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:

Windows isn't a Plataform, the Hardware is a Plataform and because of that Windows 10 is in Different plataforms, Putting their games on Steam would be the same than putting their games on their "Plataform" they would just need to pay some money for Steam.

OS isn't a Plataform and if Sony or Nintendo started to use Windows on their consoles this would not means that they are "Microsoft exclusives".

In your own limited definition Windows or Windows 10 aren't "a platform".

There are hardware platforms and there are software platforms. "PC" is a platform, but so is "Windows", "Linux", "MacOS" and even "UWP (Universal Windows Platform)" or "Java" or "Adobe Flash".

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattform_%28Computer%29

"A computing platform is, in the most general sense, whatever a pre-existing piece of computer software or code object is designed to run within, obeying its constraints, and making use of its facilities.

The term computing platform can refer to different abstraction levels, including a certain hardware architecture, an operating system (OS), and runtime libraries.[1] In total it can be said to be the stage on which computer programs can run."



Neodegenerate said:
Swordmasterman said:

Windows isn't a Plataform, the Hardware is a Plataform and because of that Windows 10 is in Different plataforms, Putting their games on Steam would be the same than putting their games on their "Plataform" they would just need to pay some money for Steam.

OS isn't a Plataform and if Sony or Nintendo started to use Windows on their consoles this would not means that they are "Microsoft exclusives".

Windows actually is a platform.  Especially in a situation where without a specific version of said platform you cannot access the content.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Steam.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Windows 8.  You can only buy it on Windows 10.

 

Edit: Also, Steam considers themselves a Platform http://store.steampowered.com/about/

So, I can play Gears of War 4 in a Phone with Windows 10 because Windows 10 is a plataform ?, OS are just systems that operate a Plataform and the Plataform is PC not Windows. For the other comment below, PS4 and Xbox One are Home consoles this is the plataform that they are, Android, and IOS, are Smartphones and Tablets, not just the OS.

The only reason Gears of War 4 isn't on Steam or Windows 7, or Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, is because Microsoft don't want it and they want to push the Windows 10, with the Exactly same plataform that you use Windows 7, 8, 8.1 you just need to install the Windows 10 and you will be able to pay games.

Those OS things are just a Walls between services for companies to have a closed environment to sell their products.



Swordmasterman said:

So, I can play Gears of War 4 in a Phone with Windows 10 because Windows 10 is a plataform?

Yes, if the Windows phone fulfills the hardware requirements and has all the needed drivers and APIs installed and if you connect the required perihery. But you will have to wait a few years, until the necessary hardware exists.



Swordmasterman said:
Neodegenerate said:

Windows actually is a platform.  Especially in a situation where without a specific version of said platform you cannot access the content.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Steam.  You can't buy Gears of War 4 on Windows 8.  You can only buy it on Windows 10.

 

Edit: Also, Steam considers themselves a Platform http://store.steampowered.com/about/

So, I can play Gears of War 4 in a Phone with Windows 10 because Windows 10 is a plataform ?, OS are just systems that operate a Plataform and the Plataform is PC not Windows. For the other comment below, PS4 and Xbox One are Home consoles this is the plataform that they are, Android, and IOS, are Smartphones and Tablets, not just the OS.

The only reason Gears of War 4 isn't on Steam or Windows 7, or Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, is because Microsoft don't want it and they want to push the Windows 10, with the Exactly same plataform that you use Windows 7, 8, 8.1 you just need to install the Windows 10 and you will be able to pay games.

Those OS things are just a Walls between services for companies to have a closed environment to sell their products.

You do know that if you swap out the OS's and put in the consoles you have the exact same scenario right?  In your example, the OS's are the platforms that you can and cannot access.  I don't know why you are having such a hard time with this.



It'd be more accurate to say Xbox doesn't. Microsoft themselves still have exclusives, since their games are still limited to ecosystems that they directly control (Xbox and the W10 store).