Quantcast
April 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

Ryng_Tolu said:
Teeqoz said:

Ratchet & Clank will be > The Division, and I also think you have DS3 and R&C totals too low. DS3 has shipped 3 million remember?

My estimate, which of course can't be 100% correct but this is what i see.

Dark Souls is HUGE on PC, definitive the bigger platform for Dark Souls.

Dark souls is at 1.5 million in Nord America as for 10 May, right? It sold about 850K on Steam which mean is definitively >1 million on PC worldwide, most likely even over 1.2 million, and i can see about 40% in NA or so, which could mean 500k of those 1.5 million. This leave 1 million shipped on PS4/XBO.

Let's say that, about 80% of those shipments were sold, which seem likely... this is about 800k.

Don't forget that even on console it's digital sales were immense, look at Japan, and North America is most likely even bigger.

It's easy at least >20% digital, i'll go with 25% or more. So, this leave under <600K at retail on PS4 and XBO.

As well, remember we talk about North America, not USA... USA is usually 90% of NA, so i think it's <540K in USA.

In conclusion: i see between 500-550k for Dark Souls III first month at retail on PS4/XBO, more close to 500K than 550K for the reason you saw above.

 

P.S

I made i typo with ReC, i wanna say >250k, not <250k... still, even if will sell amazing well and break the 300K mark, i think The Division will be 350,000 this NPD, so it won't beat it. Imo, of course.

Is impossible to know if Dark Souls's biggest plataform is Playstation or PC, from the 8 Millions units sold of Dark Souls 1, 2, over 3.25 Millions were for the PC.



Around the Network

This are my Predictions.

[PS4] 300,000
[XB1] 170,000
[3DS] 165,000
[WIU] 70,000
[PSV] 20,000
1) Dark Souls III (PS4; XBO; PC)
2) Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
3) Starfox Zero (Wii U)
4) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
5) The Division (PS4, XBO, PC)
6) UFC 2 (PS4; XBO; 360; PS3; PC)
7) Quantum Break (XBO)
8) MLB 16: The Snow (PS4, PS3)
9) Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
10) Street Fighter V (PS4, PC)

• Dark Souls III will sell over 1.1 Millions 80% on PS4, 20% on XBO (the game sold 264 Thousands PC Units for USA according to Steam)
• Ratchet & Clank will sell 900,000.
• Quantum Break will sell over 250,000. (including bundle)
• Star Fox 0 will sell 600,000.



Boutros said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

850k on STEAM, Not on PC.

The Dark Souls series before Dark Souls 3 sold 9 million WW, and of those 9 million, 5 million were on PC, the rest on 360 and PS3.

After BloodBorne released, the Souls series is becomed stronger on PlayStation, but PC is still the bigger platform most likely.

You think 350k copies were sold on other PC services than Steam? I'm certain that's impossible. Also Steamspy is taken for gospel but it's been proven many times by developers and publishers to be pretty inaccurate. It's not like NPD.

Also I'm pretty sure last we heard the series was at 8.5m and 3.25m of those were on PC according to Steamspy. I've never heard of 9m and 5m on PC.

I think it's really misleading to put sales of the first Dark Souls on PC on the same level as the console version as it was sold from the get-go for $40 instead of $60 for consoles. After a month it was readily available for $20 or less. And a lot of those sales are from Steam deals where the game was $5. It's happened a lot lol

Trusth me, Zhuge posted a graph about Dark Souls sales before Dark Souls 3, i don't remember the link but way more than half of Dark Souls sales were on PC. We can ask to him when he see this post.



Ryng_Tolu said:
Boutros said:

You think 350k copies were sold on other PC services than Steam? I'm certain that's impossible. Also Steamspy is taken for gospel but it's been proven many times by developers and publishers to be pretty inaccurate. It's not like NPD.

Also I'm pretty sure last we heard the series was at 8.5m and 3.25m of those were on PC according to Steamspy. I've never heard of 9m and 5m on PC.

I think it's really misleading to put sales of the first Dark Souls on PC on the same level as the console version as it was sold from the get-go for $40 instead of $60 for consoles. After a month it was readily available for $20 or less. And a lot of those sales are from Steam deals where the game was $5. It's happened a lot lol

Trusth me, Zhuge posted a graph about Dark Souls sales before Dark Souls 3, i don't remember the link but way more than half of Dark Souls sales were on PC. We can ask to him when he see this post.

No, Bandai Namco stateed that 3.25 Millions of the "Over 8 millions" of sales of Dark Souls 1 + Dark SOuls 2 were for PC, Demon Souls + BloodBorne sales surpass 3.25 Millions, According to VGChartz Dark Souls sold less than 2 Millions in total for Xbox One, this means  3+ Millions of sales for Playstation.



Bandorr said:
CosmicSex said:

Isn't Gears 4 in October?

Gears comes out in october, so the sales for it will be in the November NPD.

Like quantum coming out in april, and their sales being in the May NPD.

I can see how that is confusing seeing as how this is actually called the "April NPD" even though it in in may.

So i'm not quite sure the wording to use. The NPD in November, or the october NPD.

Well, they can only count the sales of 1 month when it is over, and they take over 2 Weeks to  get the full data from the companies.



Around the Network

Quantum Break+price cut has sealed April npd for Microsoft. Although Amazon gave the ps4 the win the deals in other shops has given microsoft enough sale to sneak the win.

[Xb1]265k

[PS4]255k



Ryng_Tolu said:
Boutros said:

You think 350k copies were sold on other PC services than Steam? I'm certain that's impossible. Also Steamspy is taken for gospel but it's been proven many times by developers and publishers to be pretty inaccurate. It's not like NPD.

Also I'm pretty sure last we heard the series was at 8.5m and 3.25m of those were on PC according to Steamspy. I've never heard of 9m and 5m on PC.

I think it's really misleading to put sales of the first Dark Souls on PC on the same level as the console version as it was sold from the get-go for $40 instead of $60 for consoles. After a month it was readily available for $20 or less. And a lot of those sales are from Steam deals where the game was $5. It's happened a lot lol

Trusth me, Zhuge posted a graph about Dark Souls sales before Dark Souls 3, i don't remember the link but way more than half of Dark Souls sales were on PC. We can ask to him when he see this post.

It's 4m+ for PC out of 9m+ (because there's 8 months of consoles sales missing from the total).



Boutros said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Trusth me, Zhuge posted a graph about Dark Souls sales before Dark Souls 3, i don't remember the link but way more than half of Dark Souls sales were on PC. We can ask to him when he see this post.

It's 4m+ for PC out of 9m+ (because there's 8 months of consoles sales missing from the total).

Yup.

PC is clearly huge for the series. But it's not the majority. 

You're looking at around ~40%, give or take, of series sales coming from the PC versions of the games.

 

But as noted earlier, the Souls series has benefited from releasing on PC much more than other games. 



ZhugeEX said:
Boutros said:

It's 4m+ for PC out of 9m+ (because there's 8 months of consoles sales missing from the total).

Yup.

PC is clearly huge for the series. But it's not the majority. 

You're looking at around ~40%, give or take, of series sales coming from the PC versions of the games.

 

But as noted earlier, the Souls series has benefited from releasing on PC much more than other games. 

 

Boutros said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Trusth me, Zhuge posted a graph about Dark Souls sales before Dark Souls 3, i don't remember the link but way more than half of Dark Souls sales were on PC. We can ask to him when he see this post.

It's 4m+ for PC out of 9m+ (because there's 8 months of consoles sales missing from the total).

oh!

For some reason i was sure it was 5m, my bad then



ZhugeEX said:
Boutros said:

It's 4m+ for PC out of 9m+ (because there's 8 months of consoles sales missing from the total).

Yup.

PC is clearly huge for the series. But it's not the majority. 

You're looking at around ~40%, give or take, of series sales coming from the PC versions of the games.

 

But as noted earlier, the Souls series has benefited from releasing on PC much more than other games. 

Its incredible how fast Dark Souls 3 out-sold Tomb Raider on Steam.