Quantcast
So uh, what does Microsoft do now?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So uh, what does Microsoft do now?

Some posts here man... facepalm worthy.
Last year, the gaming division made an enormous contribution to MS revenue towards the end of the year.



Do you have fun playing a console different than mine?

DON'T!!!

Around the Network

Hopefully Microsoft is waiting a year or two and coming out with something that really blows the Xbone away. If they do it now, they'd probably have to price it at $500 again.

What I am interested in, is the response of people here and other places similar, like GAF. For years we have been hearing about how the Xbox One is a worthless console because another console can play the same games marginally better. And when it was MS rumored to be doing an incremental upgrade to their console it was largely deemed evil and desperate by the masses here. But now that Sony has done it, will these people go ahead and buy the new console? Is Sony also evil and desperate? Or will they keep their old PS4's and accept that it, too, is now worthless because another console plays (literally) the exact same games mo betta?

Personally if MS does what Sony is doing and does a bare minimal upgrade, I will just wait for next gen and hope Nintendo brings the goods with NX. Personally I think it would be awesome if Nintendo came out with hardware that blows the others away. Would be interesting to see the consumers and developers reaction to that.



Goatseye said:
Some posts here man... facepalm worthy.
Last year, the gaming division made an enormous contribution to MS revenue towards the end of the year.

Revenue =/= profit

http://learnbonds.com/122889/microsoft-corporation-msft-loses-money-on-xbox-one-sales/

 

They deliberately blend in the Xbox division with other segments so that we can't figure out how well the Xbox is actually doing. I would imagine it's safe to assume that the overall performance is not so good.



aLkaLiNE said:
Goatseye said:
Some posts here man... facepalm worthy.
Last year, the gaming division made an enormous contribution to MS revenue towards the end of the year.

Revenue =/= profit

Also, prove it. Show me some numbers.

Where did I imply that?

You gotta talk to Kowenicki now, I don't know how to dig up VGC for that thread. He's the man with the numbaz.

But let me just tell you that the gaming division was just behind cloud in terms of revenue.



Do you have fun playing a console different than mine?

DON'T!!!

Soundwave said:

I think MS like they did with the first XBox is going to bail on this generation cycle. They can't win it.

XBox 2 in fall 2017, full upgrade from XB1, 10 TFLOP processor (14nm) + 16GB HBM2 RAM, 2K-4K resolution support, 4K Blu-Ray, upgradable system, runs full Windows. 

You know although most will disagree with you I can see them doing that but more so in 2018, they'll use 2017 to collect themselves and gather the RnD for late 2018, it'll put Sony in an odd position as they would be left to ponder what to do about gen 9 as at that point should it happen they'll be the only gen 8. However well the PS4 is doing they still can't let gen 9 go ahead with out a response for more than a year.



Around the Network

Just hold out till 2017-18. There's nothing else too do. In the ending, I think this decision will just affect sony more. Splitting the user and developer base has never worked before, and I doubt that'll change now.



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Microsoft continues down the path they have in mind. I don't think they need to do anything in regards to reacting to Neo.

Being the industry leader is a good thing to strive for but it isn't the most important thing. You can be hella successful without being the most successful.



[] [] [] {} [] 

Release a slim. I would rather buy an XBox One slim instead of PSVR which might need a NEO to work well. Although MS seems to have lost the plot as well with UWP. At least there are still a few exclusives I would still like to play. One slim or NX this fall.



LudicrousSpeed said:

Hopefully Microsoft is waiting a year or two and coming out with something that really blows the Xbone away. If they do it now, they'd probably have to price it at $500 again.

What I am interested in, is the response of people here and other places similar, like GAF. For years we have been hearing about how the Xbox One is a worthless console because another console can play the same games marginally better. And when it was MS rumored to be doing an incremental upgrade to their console it was largely deemed evil and desperate by the masses here. But now that Sony has done it, will these people go ahead and buy the new console? Is Sony also evil and desperate? Or will they keep their old PS4's and accept that it, too, is now worthless because another console plays (literally) the exact same games mo betta?

Personally if MS does what Sony is doing and does a bare minimal upgrade, I will just wait for next gen and hope Nintendo brings the goods with NX. Personally I think it would be awesome if Nintendo came out with hardware that blows the others away. Would be interesting to see the consumers and developers reaction to that.

The issue with Xbox One isn't really that there's a console that runs the same games better. It's that Xbox One's performance happens to fall short of the benchmark expected of most current gen games in many cases. The PS4 also does at times, but the list is much shorter.



StokedUp said:
I'm not sure how much longer Microsoft will stay in the console business. I feel they lack the passion that Sony has, plus Microsoft have got the PC so I they really don't need it.

 

Yep! 

- Sony dropping their PlayStation Portable division

- microsoft dropping their console division. 



Pocky Lover Boy!