Note - For this thread I'm only talking about the 2d games.
Metroidvania style games are some of my favorites ever and I've been replaying alot of them lately. I'm just here to spark a discussion and maybe discover some new titles I've never played. I've got three questions, you can answer them all or just reply in general.
1. Which half of Metroidvania do you like more, Metroid or Castlevania?
2. The games that started it: Super Metroid vs Symphony of the Night?
3. What are your other favorite Metroidvania titles?
1. Metroid for me but not by much. I'm a big Sci-fi fan so I like the space setting a little bit more and the classic enemies like ridley and mother brain are just too cool. While I like the rpg elements in castlevania it can be frustrating farming for rare item drops while trying to get 100%. Music is a tie I guess, Castlevania has some straight up great jams while metroids soundtrack sets the atmosphere perfectly.
2. I know this goes against my last answer but I'm gonna say SOTN. I love super metroid but actually enjoy both Fusion and Zero Mission more so my number 1 castlevania title beats my third favorite metroid. SOTN is just amazing, best soundtrack ever, Alucard is cool and has great abilities plus I just love the way it looks visually.
3. Guacamelee was awesome, Ori and the Blind Forest is beautiful yet punishing and Alien Infestation is a fun DS game.