Quantcast
NeoGAF verfied user: NX CPU is noticeably better then PS4 and Xbox One CPU

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF verfied user: NX CPU is noticeably better then PS4 and Xbox One CPU

Trunkin said:
padib said:

In 2016-2017, those specs are not cutting edge and should be cheap to produce.

True, but i'm giving them a little extra for whatever quirky and expensive controller they come up with this time.

I don't blame you. But I think they probably learned their lesson. They aren't complete idiots, just idiots.



Around the Network

They should just make the NX console upgradable in a modular easy to do way (much like the N64 Expansion Pak was). That way if XB2/PS5 comes out, they can release a more powerful NX then, and people who already bought the system could have the option of upgrading if they want and just continue forward that way.

Or do the whole supplemental hardware thing.



Soundwave said:
They should just make the NX console upgradable in a modular easy to do way (much like the N64 Expansion Pak was). That way if XB2/PS5 comes out, they can release a more powerful NX then, and people who already bought the system could have the option of upgrading if they want and just continue forward that way.

Or do the whole supplemental hardware thing.

The supplemetal hardware is the way to upgrade the system with more power/functionalities.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Volterra_90 said:
I don't know if this info is true, but that's more or less what I expect. But hardware is not just CPU. I think XOne CPU is better than PS4 CPU, and still it struggles more with games.

its a good sign of what to expect though. The guys arrows in his comparison little thingy seems to indicate that the NX could potentially be considerably more powerful in terms of CPU next to the PS4/Xone. If that ends up being true then I would be surprised if the other hardware components weren't also more advanced

    there wouldn't be much point in going for competitive current specs and only picking certain aspects to do better. Nintendo tends to either go for a gimmick or go for solid specs, the Gamecube and Nintendo 64 for example were both pretty powerful for their generation (don't start with the whole memory issues with the cartridges for the N64, that's a different matter entirely).

this is interesting. at this point though, especially with the fake prototype things, probably safe to take all of these rumors with a grain of salt



LipeJJ said:
That's good, very good actually. And I find weird the reactions here... lots of people saying that means nothing or that this is not enough. First of all, Nintendo tends to use good GPUs and weak CPUs. If NX's CPU is this good, the GPU will certainly be better than both X1's and PS4's for sure. I wonder what the reactions would be f the rumor stated that the CPU was weaker...

Oh well, this clearly showed me that people will find reasons to complain once Nintendo finally announces the thing at E3 (or close to it). Seems like the internet is expecting a generational leap over PS4/X1, even releasing after just 3 years, while being cheaper than competetion... .-.

if people want to be safe and realistic they should be expecting something that potentially is a bit more advanced but nothing insanely ahead. If the system is priced under 300$ then that's just being realistic.

I do think there could be a nice trade off though, if Nintendo potentially makes a cross platform thing where the game libraries are playable both on the NX home console and handheld. That sort of thing would definitely make up for it not being massively better graphically than the last Gen's PS4/XOne. Obviously I would except scaling in terms of the graphical abilities, but just the possibility of a shared downloadable library for the home and handheld paired systems



Around the Network
Natsu said:
Darc Requiem said:
X1 and the PS4 have the same CPU. However the X1's CPU runs at 1.75Ghz, the PS4's CPU runs at 1.6Ghz.

Really? Learn something new everyday :P

Actually no the PS4 CPU speed has never been disclosed by SCE or any other developer and it's protected under NDA.

Lots of people like to pretend that the Xbox has something better than the PS4 but in reality CPU only benchmarks show ps4 having superior performance.

Nothing publicly is known about the PS4 CPU clock speed.



elektranine said:
Natsu said:

Really? Learn something new everyday :P

Actually no the PS4 CPU speed has never been disclosed by SCE or any other developer and it's protected under NDA.

Lots of people like to pretend that the Xbox has something better than the PS4 but in reality CPU only benchmarks show ps4 having superior performance.

Nothing publicly is known about the PS4 CPU clock speed.

While I don't know if the speed of PS4's CPU has ever been released or not, the truth is that we know that the CPU inside the Xbox One is faster thanks to Ubisoft.

Ubi did a GDC conference in 2014 and they revealed some benchmarks that showed that X1's CPU had some advantage over the PS4:

http://www.redgamingtech.com/ubisoft-gdc-presentation-of-ps4-x1-gpu-cpu-performance/

Sure, it's not by much, but it is more powerful.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Miyamotoo said:
elektranine said:

Completely wrong!

The Wii U came out 6 years later and had:

 

  • a slower cpu
  • slower ram
  • only a 50% more powerful GPU
NX will come out 3-4 years later and barring a complete shift in the way Nintendo operates not be that much different.

 

You forget that Wii U also had 4x more RAM.

At end Wii U has much better stronger GPU with twice amount of RAM than PS3/Xbox 360 but somehow slower CPU and RAM, so  Wii U have similar power like PS3/Xbox 360 and even slightly above.

Lol what good is having even 1000x more RAM if you can't ever use it. As a developer you would be more concerned with the speed than anything else. What good is having a 16 lane freeway when the speedlimit is only 35mph. I'd rather have a 4 lane highway running @ 70 mph so you can get all those cars home faster.

Lets review the Wii U's system specs vs PS3/Xbox 360:

  • 50% slower RAM (12.8gbps vs 25.6gbps for PS3)
  • While Wii U has 2GB of RAM Nintendo reserves a full 1GB of that for System resources. That 50% wow. (PS3 was always lamented by developers for reserving 19% of RAM). So in reality developers only have ~2.4x more RAM not 4x as you claim and its slower.
  • 50% slower CPU. This is being really generous here. The Wii U is 32-bit. Has a clockrate of 1.24ghz. And is based on the IBM PowerPC 750 (1997). 32-bit architectures started going out in the late 90's/very early 2000's. Even comparing the clock speeds is bad (1.24 vs 3.6) because the Wii U can't do as much per CPU cycle due to being only 32-bit. GIgaflops paints even worse picture: (3.72 gigaflops Wii U vs 10.8 gigaflops Xbox 360 vs 23.04 gigaflops PS3).
  • GPU is next...
You say that the Wii U has "much better stronger GPU" but that is just plain wrong. We live in a world where the PS4 having a 50% power advantage is labeled as just "marginally" better. And I will even admit that I was wrong when I said that the Wii U's GPU was only 50% more powerful....
  • The PS3 gpu has a performance of 228.8 gigaflops.
  • The Xbox 360 gpu has a performance of 240 gigaflops
  • The Wii U gpu has a performance of 352 gigaflops
  • Meaning the Wii U GPU is between 32% and 35% more powerful not 50%
So being that the PS4 difference is seen as "not noticeable" and "marginal" there is no way one can honestly say that the Wii U is seen as having a "much better stronger GPU" than the PS3/Xbox 360.
Combine the slightly better GPU with the slower RAM and slower CPU it is not surprising why many devs did not care to develop games for the Wii U. Hopefully Nintendo can do better this time around.


elektranine said:
Miyamotoo said:

You forget that Wii U also had 4x more RAM.

At end Wii U has much better stronger GPU with twice amount of RAM than PS3/Xbox 360 but somehow slower CPU and RAM, so  Wii U have similar power like PS3/Xbox 360 and even slightly above.

Lol what good is having even 1000x more RAM if you can't ever use it. As a developer you would be more concerned with the speed than anything else. What good is having a 16 lane freeway when the speedlimit is only 35mph. I'd rather have a 4 lane highway running @ 70 mph so you can get all those cars home faster.

Lets review the Wii U's system specs vs PS3/Xbox 360:

 

  • 50% slower RAM (12.8gbps vs 25.6gbps for PS3)
  • While Wii U has 2GB of RAM Nintendo reserves a full 1GB of that for System resources. That 50% wow. (PS3 was always lamented by developers for reserving 19% of RAM). So in reality developers only have ~2.4x more RAM not 4x as you claim and its slower.
  • 50% slower CPU. This is being really generous here. The Wii U is 32-bit. Has a clockrate of 1.24ghz. And is based on the IBM PowerPC 750 (1997). 32-bit architectures started going out in the late 90's/very early 2000's. Even comparing the clock speeds is bad (1.24 vs 3.6) because the Wii U can't do as much per CPU cycle due to being only 32-bit. GIgaflops paints even worse picture: (3.72 gigaflops Wii U vs 10.8 gigaflops Xbox 360 vs 23.04 gigaflops PS3).
  • GPU is next...
You say that the Wii U has "much better stronger GPU" but that is just plain wrong. We live in a world where the PS4 having a 50% power advantage is labeled as just "marginally" better. And I will even admit that I was wrong when I said that the Wii U's GPU was only 50% more powerful....
  • The PS3 gpu has a performance of 228.8 gigaflops.
  • The Xbox 360 gpu has a performance of 240 gigaflops
  • The Wii U gpu has a performance of 352 gigaflops
  • Meaning the Wii U GPU is between 32% and 35% more powerful not 50%
So being that the PS4 difference is seen as "not noticeable" and "marginal" there is no way one can honestly say that the Wii U is seen as having a "much better stronger GPU" than the PS3/Xbox 360.
Combine the slightly better GPU with the slower RAM and slower CPU it is not surprising why many devs did not care to develop games for the Wii U. Hopefully Nintendo can do better this time around.

 

Even Wii U CPU is weak on paper, if its used on right way (use of huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores) it can punche well above own height, just look how Nintendo used it for its game, most of Nintendo games working 720p/60Fps. Shin'en wrote how to use most of Wii U CPU and whole hardware.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/shinen_wii_u_has_enough_power_for_years_to_come_gpu_is_several_generations_ahead_of_current_consoles

 

So no, Wii U CPU is not 50% weaker than PS3/Xbox360. About GPU, its not just about power, Wii U GPU is several generations newer GPU than Xbox360/PS3 and that "allows many things that were not possible on PS3/Xbox360 consoles".

At end we have: somehow slower CPU and RAM but stronger and much more modern GPU and 2.4x more RAM. So similar performance like Xbox 360/PS3, but if hardware is used on right way it can have pretty impressive results for that hardware.

 

Nintendo made great hardware in Wii U for what they were aiming, very efficient, small, silent and in same time very capable 720p console, even if we know that aim wasn't good decision. I don't think they will use same philosophy this time again.



Anybody else sick of NX rumors? Come on people, give it a break. Wait for something even REMOTELY official.