Quantcast
Does 343 need better writers?

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does 343 need better writers?

shikamaru317 said:
TheMessiah said:

This happens all the time. With every studio

Thing is, they were 3 of the main people responsible for making Halo 5's MP so good, multiplayer design director, lead multiplayer producer, and lead arena engineer. Definitely worrying for Halo 6, hopefully 343 can find good replacements. 

The 3 same people that made Halo 4s notorious multiplayer the worst in the series. Its often bigger than the sum of its parts. Naughty Dog had some key people leave during Uncharted 4s development. Doesnt mean its now going to suck.



Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:
343 needs better everything.

I swear I was gonna write the exact same thing.



I LOVE ICELAND!

shikamaru317 said:
TheMessiah said:

This happens all the time. With every studio

Thing is, they were 3 of the main people responsible for making Halo 5's MP so good, multiplayer design director, lead multiplayer producer, and lead arena engineer. Definitely worrying for Halo 6, hopefully 343 can find good replacements. 

Nothing to worry about. Halo 5 has already set the foundations for Halo 6 multiplayer. There isnt as much need for them. They fixed the MP where H4 failed. Went from the worst MP in Halo history in H4 to the best with H5. All H6 has to do is do eactly what H5 does.



Azzanation said:
shikamaru317 said:

Thing is, they were 3 of the main people responsible for making Halo 5's MP so good, multiplayer design director, lead multiplayer producer, and lead arena engineer. Definitely worrying for Halo 6, hopefully 343 can find good replacements. 

Nothing to worry about. Halo 5 has already set the foundations for Halo 6 multiplayer. There isnt as much need for them. They fixed the MP where H4 failed. Went from the worst MP in Halo history in H4 to the best with H5. All H6 has to do is do eactly what H5 does.

That's true. As long as they copy Halo 5's MP formula, they should be fine. That being said, there are some things they can do better with Halo 6 MP imo,  better playlist selection at release and less forged maps/more made from scratch maps. 

Singleplayer is definitely the biggest concern for me with Halo 6. I really don't like the story direction Brian took the series in with Halo 5. If they want me to be interested in Halo 6 SP, they're going to need to a. make Arbiter playable again (3 teams? Arbiter, Chief, and Locke), b. give us an equal number of missions for each team and better character building on Blue Team, and c. bring back Halfjaw (Rtas 'Vadum) and Lord Hood.



I hated Halo 4 and Halo 5's storyline. Spartan Ops was also a disaster. I thought Halo 4's storyline was just as bad as Halo 5 because of how stupid it was. It ended up making me hate Cortana and Chief and how they made their relationship way too important. Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of plotholes. Halo 5's storyline was almost more tolerable because basiacly nothing happened. It was very poorly written and did not greatly affect the universe, while Halo 4 was poorly written and greatly affected the franchise direction. Halo 5 campaign was explained at the end of the first level when Hasley basiacly tells you that Cortana is the villain. The rest of the campaign becomes predictable especially the AI governor character. I mean Halo 5 played better than Halo 4 although again felt like it lacked good setpieces and got worse as the campaign went on...I don't know really I disliked both. Halo Reach was far better in terms of gameplay than the 343 games, but I also did not like that campaign's story. However, to be fair Reach had a much better level direction and focus. I choose to forget 343 campaigns because frankly they don't come close to what Bungie gave us. I would gladly take Halo 2's cliffhanger ending or Halo 3's plotholes because you essentially get both with 343 at a much greater scale and worse result.



Around the Network
Azzanation said:
shikamaru317 said:

Thing is, they were 3 of the main people responsible for making Halo 5's MP so good, multiplayer design director, lead multiplayer producer, and lead arena engineer. Definitely worrying for Halo 6, hopefully 343 can find good replacements. 

Nothing to worry about. Halo 5 has already set the foundations for Halo 6 multiplayer. There isnt as much need for them. They fixed the MP where H4 failed. Went from the worst MP in Halo history in H4 to the best with H5. All H6 has to do is do eactly what H5 does.

To an extent I agree with you, but Halo 4 was so bad that it makes Halo 5 look a lot better than it actually is. Halo 5 is not the best Halo for the simple fact that the map and playlist selection is no where near the level of Bungie Halo games. If the maps are bad that's like half the game. Warzone has four maps (and I personally hate one of them) and considering that Warzone has a bigger population than all of arena combined I think that's a pretty big deal. It was marketed as half of multiplayer. The quality of Arena maps is very poor let alone the lack of diversity in art direction. The design and feel of weapons is pretty bad considering that they are actually a lot more fun to use than they appear. You have gametypes missing and new gametypes that are not working. Breakout is essentially a dead playlist, but we don't get Infection or classic Objective modes that were staples during Halo 2 and Halo 3. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were each #1 for about two years on xbox live so I wouldn't say a game that is consistently outside the top 10 is the best. It wouldn't be constantly getting beat by games that have sold less copies like Rainbow Six: seige. Halo has far more marketing behind it. I know Halo 5 is probably the most profitable Halo since Reach due to REQ packs, but its low sales are a reflection of issues in both single player and mutliplayer. 

I do really like Halo 5, but I would not say it is the best Halo. It is definately worthy of the Halo title though. 



shikamaru317 said:
Azzanation said:

Nothing to worry about. Halo 5 has already set the foundations for Halo 6 multiplayer. There isnt as much need for them. They fixed the MP where H4 failed. Went from the worst MP in Halo history in H4 to the best with H5. All H6 has to do is do eactly what H5 does.

That's true. As long as they copy Halo 5's MP formula, they should be fine. That being said, there are some things they can do better with Halo 6 MP imo,  better playlist selection at release and less forged maps/more made from scratch maps. 

Singleplayer is definitely the biggest concern for me with Halo 6. I really don't like the story direction Brian took the series in with Halo 5. If they want me to be interested in Halo 6 SP, they're going to need to a. make Arbiter playable again (3 teams? Arbiter, Chief, and Locke), b. give us an equal number of missions for each team and better character building on Blue Team, and c. bring back Halfjaw (Rtas 'Vadum) and Lord Hood.

I might be alone in this but the only thing i want new in Halo 6 mp is a double jumping mechanic.

In the single player i have to disagree 1 team is enough actually just one person is enough the 4 player co-op thing they did limits alot their creativity in game design,4 player co-op should have it´s own separate mode like firefight or a better version of spartan ops.

And for the love of GOD bring back split-screen.



I care more about the campaign's gameplay than story. Sue me.

 

Sometimes the atmosphere matters more than overly complicated arcs and filler characters.

 

Halo 1-3 may be a simpler story, but I liked it a lot more due to the atmosphere and flow of events. Things in Reach, 4, and 5 feel rushed and less immersed. 



The big issue with Halo 5 was that the campaign felt under-prioritised, especially compared to Halo 4. It was still a fantastic campaign, better in my view than Halo 2 and 3, but below Halo CE, Reach and the highpoint of 4. They did, however, make the greatest MP I have experienced so I hope a fantastic SP (with split screen!!!) makes it into installment 6.

shikamaru317 said:
Azzanation said:

Nothing to worry about. Halo 5 has already set the foundations for Halo 6 multiplayer. There isnt as much need for them. They fixed the MP where H4 failed. Went from the worst MP in Halo history in H4 to the best with H5. All H6 has to do is do eactly what H5 does.

That's true. As long as they copy Halo 5's MP formula, they should be fine. That being said, there are some things they can do better with Halo 6 MP imo,  better playlist selection at release and less forged maps/more made from scratch maps. 

Singleplayer is definitely the biggest concern for me with Halo 6. I really don't like the story direction Brian took the series in with Halo 5. If they want me to be interested in Halo 6 SP, they're going to need to a. make Arbiter playable again (3 teams? Arbiter, Chief, and Locke), b. give us an equal number of missions for each team and better character building on Blue Team, and c. bring back Halfjaw (Rtas 'Vadum) and Lord Hood.

The overarching story of 4, 5 and 6 were already written. Obviously details change and get reworked, but the essnce of 5 and 6 havent changed. Personally I like the more emotional evocation of 4 and 5. 5 had a nice contrast between the more military minded Locke ( Who didnt come through the initial Spartan programe ) and Masterhiefs emotional attachment to his team ( who knew each other from childhood ) and Cortana. Im actually glad the Locke and Chief thing turned out as it did. Because what happened in the last hour of the game was way more important in respect to Chief and Cortana fom the Halo universe perspective.