Quantcast
Do you think this idea would work (DRM Related)?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think this idea would work (DRM Related)?

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:
Bad idea.
Solution? stop being lazy and go chance discs.

Kids nowadays right ;)
Back in my day I had to turn or change Laserdiscs every 45 minutes during a movie, max that fits on each side. And those are heavy :p

But it does feel a bit pointless to have to insert the disc if the game is fully installed anyway. If people were simply honest and uninstalled it before selling the disc. What a silly notion. We have a long way to go as humanity.

PC's been doing that since 1996.



Around the Network

:(

I'm 39 years old.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Aeolus451 said:
SvennoJ said:

Try loading the same game from tape 4 times, hoping it will survive the wrinkle in the tape at 8 minutes this time. It could take half an hour to get hyper rally to work. Cotton swabs and alcohol at the ready to keep the tape heads clean. Still worth it.

I never exprienced that but it reminds me of VHS and cassette tapes. I wonder if it was like those. I really hated VHS. Lost so many movies to a VCR eating a tape..... Meh.

You didn't take care of your VCR. Because I've had VCR's and tapes, to this day. That are 20-30 years old. All working fine still. Even when in storage for 10 years. I peroidically check on my stuff. Putting in dirty or cheap tapes. Blockbuster rentals, $.99 blanks that are made of shit. Will ruin the loading mechanism.



archer9234 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I never exprienced that but it reminds me of VHS and cassette tapes. I wonder if it was like those. I really hated VHS. Lost so many movies to a VCR eating a tape..... Meh.

You didn't take care of your VCR. Because I've had VCR's and tapes, to this day. That are 20-30 years old. All working fine still. Even when in storage for 10 years. I peroidically check on my stuff. Putting in dirty or cheap tapes. Blockbuster rentals, $.99 blanks that are made of shit. Will ruin the loading mechanism.

I know that I didn't clean the VCR out enough but still...... I'm just glad everyone moved away from it a long time ago. 



Aeolus451 said:
archer9234 said:

You didn't take care of your VCR. Because I've had VCR's and tapes, to this day. That are 20-30 years old. All working fine still. Even when in storage for 10 years. I peroidically check on my stuff. Putting in dirty or cheap tapes. Blockbuster rentals, $.99 blanks that are made of shit. Will ruin the loading mechanism.

I know that I didn't clean the VCR out enough but still...... I'm just glad everyone moved away from it a long time ago. 

But then you can't blame the tech lol.



Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I know that I didn't clean the VCR out enough but still...... I'm just glad everyone moved away from it a long time ago. 

But then you can't blame the tech lol.

Oh yes I can. It's high maintence and I'm lazy.



archer9234 said:
SvennoJ said:

Kids nowadays right ;)
Back in my day I had to turn or change Laserdiscs every 45 minutes during a movie, max that fits on each side. And those are heavy :p

But it does feel a bit pointless to have to insert the disc if the game is fully installed anyway. If people were simply honest and uninstalled it before selling the disc. What a silly notion. We have a long way to go as humanity.

PC's been doing that since 1996.

No, a lot of games needed the disc inserted on startup. For example to play IL-2 Sturmovik in Lan or Need for Speed Porsche unleashed, we had to pass the disc around on startup. At least you could play 1 copy on upto 4 PCs over LAN. I don't know how many actually as I always downloaded the no disc check crack from a BBS. Others needed some random word from a manual which was also easily removed.

Then the internet became standard and online activation took over making the discs worthless. Pretty much silently killing the second hand PC game market. Physical PC games nowadays are nothing more than an install disc with online activation code. Playing over LAN with one copy was killed at the same time. Now you get a small discount when you buy a 4 pack to play together, rip off.



SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:

PC's been doing that since 1996.

No, a lot of games needed the disc inserted on startup. For example to play IL-2 Sturmovik in Lan or Need for Speed Porsche unleashed, we had to pass the disc around on startup. At least you could play 1 copy on upto 4 PCs over LAN. I don't know how many actually as I always downloaded the no disc check crack from a BBS. Others needed some random word from a manual which was also easily removed.

Then the internet became standard and online activation took over making the discs worthless. Pretty much silently killing the second hand PC game market. Physical PC games nowadays are nothing more than an install disc with online activation code. Playing over LAN with one copy was killed at the same time. Now you get a small discount when you buy a 4 pack to play together, rip off.

My point was the disc was used as the main check, since 1996, like the PS4 and X1 do now. You just explained why I said it. I didn't mean it continues now, on pc. Steam, Origin etc. all became legal no-cd cracks. Going down to their basic level. I simply meant PC people have been doing this 17 years before the PS4 and X1.



Just go digital if you want no disc. Because what you want to do is GO DIGITAL.
the point of having a disc is HAVING A DISC.
if you then have to tie it to your console, then it is automaticly DIGITAL!
so why bother in the first place....



My idea:

All discs and consoles have a unique ID.

When you put a disc in a console, Microsoft/Sony/whoever register that disc ID to that console ID. From that point on, so long as the console is connected to the Internet (so it can verify the console-disc ID mapping), it can play the game without the disc.

When you put your disc in another console, the unique disc ID is then registered to that console.

The downside is that it requires an online connection for discless play, and also an online connection for the first time you play a game on the console. The actual process of registering the console will require minimum bandwidth, so it wouldn't be a problem in 99% of households who actually have the means to buy these machines.