Quantcast
TPHD is here! What do you think?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TPHD is here! What do you think?

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Just wait, there are those who'll actually try to say it got just as much of a graphical overhaul.

Well, I'm not one to disappoint so yeah, I'll say it:  the *technical* upgrade is comparable, it's just the visual difference is less consistently apparent.  Wind Waker got lighting, yes.  However, the texture resolution is not nearly as high as TPHD cause it doesn't need to be.  Also, not a single mesh of WWHD was touched and they remain very very low in poly counts even in areas where upgrades were obviously possible.  TPHD on the other hand has seen geometry enhancement throughout every single interior including dungeons.  The only area where WWHD trumps TPHD is lighting.  And that is it.  Textures are crisper but not nearly as good on a technical level, geometry was untouched.  The main reason the visual upgrade is not as significant is the art style of WWHD, which means low geometry and simplistic textures can skate, freeing resources for the lighting improvements.  Just saying, the idea WWHD is a huge, massive overhaul and TPHD is a cheap, splapdash effort is just that: a myth.  Neither is a massive overhaul, neither is slapdash.

I didn't say TPHD was slapdash. It's not. But while its textures and screen res see a big bump, geometry and shadowing tweaks are very minor. 

WWHD on the other hand incorporates a host of new techniques that TPHD doesn't, from HDR lighting to global illumination, ambient occlusion to anisotropic filtering. It's lighting, shadowing, shaders and effects are completely redone in addition to the expected texture and screen resolution boosts.



Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Just wait, there are those who'll actually try to say it got just as much of a graphical overhaul.

Well, I'm not one to disappoint so yeah, I'll say it:  the *technical* upgrade is comparable, it's just the visual difference is less consistently apparent.  Wind Waker got lighting, yes.  However, the texture resolution is not nearly as high as TPHD cause it doesn't need to be.  Also, not a single mesh of WWHD was touched and they remain very very low in poly counts even in areas where upgrades were obviously possible.  TPHD on the other hand has seen geometry enhancement throughout every single interior including dungeons.  The only area where WWHD trumps TPHD is lighting.  And that is it.  Textures are crisper but not nearly as good on a technical level, geometry was untouched.  The main reason the visual upgrade is not as significant is the art style of WWHD, which means low geometry and simplistic textures can skate, freeing resources for the lighting improvements.  Just saying, the idea WWHD is a huge, massive overhaul and TPHD is a cheap, splapdash effort is just that: a myth.  Neither is a massive overhaul, neither is slapdash.

 

Nuvendil said:
Also, I don't think Timelessness is subjective really. It's objectively true that the technical limitations of the GC and Wii more severely hampered the realization of the TP art style than it did the WW art style.

 

Totally agree.



curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

Well, I'm not one to disappoint so yeah, I'll say it:  the *technical* upgrade is comparable, it's just the visual difference is less consistently apparent.  Wind Waker got lighting, yes.  However, the texture resolution is not nearly as high as TPHD cause it doesn't need to be.  Also, not a single mesh of WWHD was touched and they remain very very low in poly counts even in areas where upgrades were obviously possible.  TPHD on the other hand has seen geometry enhancement throughout every single interior including dungeons.  The only area where WWHD trumps TPHD is lighting.  And that is it.  Textures are crisper but not nearly as good on a technical level, geometry was untouched.  The main reason the visual upgrade is not as significant is the art style of WWHD, which means low geometry and simplistic textures can skate, freeing resources for the lighting improvements.  Just saying, the idea WWHD is a huge, massive overhaul and TPHD is a cheap, splapdash effort is just that: a myth.  Neither is a massive overhaul, neither is slapdash.

I didn't say TPHD was slapdash. It's not. But while its textures and screen res see a big bump, geometry and shadowing tweaks are very minor. 

WWHD on the other hand incorporates a host of new techniques that TPHD doesn't, from HDR lighting to global illumination, ambient occlusion to anisotropic filtering. It's lighting, shadowing, shaders and effects are completely redone in addition to the expected texture and screen resolution boosts.

*shrugs*.  I suppose that's true.  It would be an interesting thing to be able to peek behind the curtain and see what ate up more power, the lighting and shaders or the increase in geometry and significantly higher res textures.  And while I can't be sure (camera angle makes it hard to tell), I think there may be some anisotropic filtering in TPHD.  Not a very strong setting of such if so though.  I will say the shadows in WWHD, while very good, don't draw very far.  But I guess another thing is that the WWHD art style cuts both ways as it also means a remaster can't effect it's looks but so much.  To me, I find both to be equally pleasing end results.  Of course part of that also comes down to TPHD benefiting from cleaning up the (IMHO) mistakes of 6-7th gen transition graphics that plagued TP originally.  The washed out, hazy, brown look with excessive bloom that was inaccurate and bled over everything.  Now it's got far more color and vibrancy while still maintaining an earthy color palette all its own.  Some defend the muddiness of the original as part of the Twilight theme of things but I think the adjusted color and lighting temperature helps create a more pleasing and intense contrast between the areas enveloped in Twilight and those in the Light.  So really, it's an enhancement to the atmosphere IMO.  It's an interesting bag of improvements.  Sometimes it looks almost late seventh gen, sometimes like a very early seventh gen.  The aggregate is probably mid seventh gen.  

 

Also, I am enjoying the game greatly by the way.  It's a slower, more methodicapace but years of playing TES games without fast travel and my love of Total War has made me a pretty patient gamer :P.



Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't say TPHD was slapdash. It's not. But while its textures and screen res see a big bump, geometry and shadowing tweaks are very minor. 

WWHD on the other hand incorporates a host of new techniques that TPHD doesn't, from HDR lighting to global illumination, ambient occlusion to anisotropic filtering. It's lighting, shadowing, shaders and effects are completely redone in addition to the expected texture and screen resolution boosts.

*shrugs*.  I suppose that's true.  It would be an interesting thing to be able to peek behind the curtain and see what ate up more power, the lighting and shaders or the increase in geometry and significantly higher res textures.  And while I can't be sure (camera angle makes it hard to tell), I think there may be some anisotropic filtering in TPHD.  Not a very strong setting of such if so though.  I will say the shadows in WWHD, while very good, don't draw very far.  But I guess another thing is that the WWHD art style cuts both ways as it also means a remaster can't effect it's looks but so much.  To me, I find both to be equally pleasing end results.  Of course part of that also comes down to TPHD benefiting from cleaning up the (IMHO) mistakes of 6-7th gen transition graphics that plagued TP originally.  The washed out, hazy, brown look with excessive bloom that was inaccurate and bled over everything.  Now it's got far more color and vibrancy while still maintaining an earthy color palette all its own.  Some defend the muddiness of the original as part of the Twilight theme of things but I think the adjusted color and lighting temperature helps create a more pleasing and intense contrast between the areas enveloped in Twilight and those in the Light.  So really, it's an enhancement to the atmosphere IMO.  It's an interesting bag of improvements.  Sometimes it looks almost late seventh gen, sometimes like a very early seventh gen.  The aggregate is probably mid seventh gen.  

 

Also, I am enjoying the game greatly by the way.  It's a slower, more methodicapace but years of playing TES games without fast travel and my love of Total War has made me a pretty patient gamer :P.

The boost from 16-bit to 24-bit colour greatly benefits both games, I reckon. The colours are much more vibrant.



Miyamotoo said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Stop being so unrealistic, do you expect them to do a full remake of the game now? Dont you realize that would be almost as expensive as a new whole zelda game? It makes sense for you to waste years of some of the main Nintendo studios and dozens of milions in a remake of twilight princess?? Because I rather that effort put into another thing, like the new zelda or the next Metroid, but not TP.

As a remaster is as good as it can be, and has way way way more changes from the original than the average remaster, so i dont see why is not worth 50$, is not up to you to decide that, when I go to see a movie I pay always the same price independently of how was the budget of the film or the time they needed to film it, so I dont understand why people gives always so much importance about that in videogames, is the product worth it? Thats the question, and nothing else more, does the people thinks a full remaster of TPHD with all the improvements they have done is worth 50$? Sales and public reception will give us the aswer, but I would say is a big YES.

I agree with everything you wrote except price point. If Zelda U, completely new game with much higher development time and resources than TP HD, has price point point of $60 I dont think there is no much sense that TP HD has price of $50. IMO, $40 would be perfect for TP HD and WW HD instead $50.

Two things:

 

1.) I'm a pretty big Zelda fan and I've purchased WW an TP when they released and when they re-released on day one.  Which on is better is a matter of opinion but TP offers waaaay more content.  The WW art style  may have aged better but TP is still the more advanced game.

2.) You can get TPHD without the Amiibo for $49.  The same as Wind Waker. Why would it be less?



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Miyamotoo said:

I agree with everything you wrote except price point. If Zelda U, completely new game with much higher development time and resources than TP HD, has price point point of $60 I dont think there is no much sense that TP HD has price of $50. IMO, $40 would be perfect for TP HD and WW HD instead $50.

Two things:

 

1.) I'm a pretty big Zelda fan and I've purchased WW an TP when they released and when they re-released on day one.  Which on is better is a matter of opinion but TP offers waaaay more content.  The WW art style  may have aged better but TP is still the more advanced game.

2.) You can get TPHD without the Amiibo for $49.  The same as Wind Waker. Why would it be less?

Because completely new Zelda will be $59 while HD port of old game cost only $10 dollars less!?

Don't get me wrong, I pre ordered TP HD, I just think WW HD and TP HD needs to have price of $40 not of $50.



I noticed today, after starting the game for the second time, that you no longer get the notifications when picking up a 5 or 10 Rupees... Rupee every time you restart the game. I only got that the very first time I ever picked them up yesterday. Talk about improvements!



when i pick up a small key in dungeon, is it possible for me to check how many keys i had obtained? i couldnt find the small key indicator after i obtained those keys



sry for my bad english - it is not my 1st language

S.Peelman said:

I noticed today, after starting the game for the second time, that you no longer get the notifications when picking up a 5 or 10 Rupees... Rupee every time you restart the game. I only got that the very first time I ever picked them up yesterday. Talk about improvements!

That's great to hear, I ma prety sure they will implant that in Zelda U too. In Skyward Sword there were times I wanted to eat Wii Remote because those constant notifications.



 

Goodnightmoon said:

Stop being so unrealistic, do you expect them to do a full remake of the game now? Dont you realize that would be almost as expensive as a new whole zelda game? It makes sense for you to waste years of some of the main Nintendo studios and dozens of milions in a remake of twilight princess?? Because I rather that effort put into another thing, like the new zelda or the next Metroid, but not TP.

Sure. It could be done by an external studio though scince the mechanics/ideas and co are all set. Its just about the programming.

Instead of wasting development power on "new games" like Animal Crossing Amiibor festival, mario tennis ultra smash, Metroid Prime federation force and paper mario color splash they should do something like this.

Goodnightmoon said:

As a remaster is as good as it can be

Are you sure?

This is a "remaster"-mod done by a FAN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDVY6Q9pfk