Quantcast
PSVR Price $428 (bundle) And $299 (standalone) (RUMOUR)

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Price $428 (bundle) And $299 (standalone) (RUMOUR)

Slimebeast said:
But Gribble... in your very own OP you write that rumour has it that the Playstation VR will ship without a camera. So how can you call it VR then?

Head tracking requiers a camera. And you say headtracking IS VR. Thus, a VR without camera can not be VR.

That's nitpicking. I try to clarify:

1. There is no VR without headtracking.

2. Headtracking can theoretically be implemented without a camera - that's what Google Cardboard for example does, using only the builtin smartphone sensors. But this is just an inaccurate makeshift to allow for cheap smartphones alone to be used as VR headsets. Every serious VR system will use at least one additional camera, because they're very important for a accuracy and a realistic experience. PSVR will therefor almost certainly require the camera.

3. Since many people already have the PS4 camera and/or Move controllers, there's no reason to force these people to buy yet another camera or more Move controllers. These people can enter the fascinating new world of (PS)VR for just $299. And of course, a sub-$300 price tag for the core hardware has the nice side-effect of making PSVR seem relatively cheap, after the public was quite shocked about the $599 price tag for Oculus Rift



Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
Lafiel said:
would be a really good price, but for now I still expect ~$/€400 for a pack with PSVR and the camera

I think a non-camera sku could cause some confusions, so they better have a fat red warning "PSVR requires the Playstation Camera to work" on the package

a different solution could be to only offer cam-less packs online

Erm, imagine people who already own the camera and the controllers, what are they supposed to buy? Another camera and another set of controllers? Hm, nope. The standalone SKU is very important if they don't want to alienate a chunk of their playerbase.

Anyway, if they make a 599€ bundle with the console + the bundle + 1 game I'll bite (unlikely, 699€ would be more likely). Otherwise I shall wait. :'(

hm? I didn't say that they shouldn't offer a cam-less SKU at all and afaik yoshida said a few months ago they want to have a solution for people that already own it



Bundle is a Great Deal, very good price !



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

JEMC said:

I could see the PSVR headset being $299, but that $428 for the bundle is an odd number that makes this rumor harder to believe.

On the contrary it makes the rumous easier to believe IMO and those 2 prices seem coherent with what we know about VR costs and what Sony told us.



globalisateur said:
JEMC said:

I could see the PSVR headset being $299, but that $428 for the bundle is an odd number that makes this rumor harder to believe.

On the contrary it makes the rumous easier to believe IMO and those 2 prices seem coherent with what we know about VR costs and what Sony told us.

As I was pointed out, that bundle doesn't exist, it's just the sum of both SKUs: $299 + $129 = $428. If Sony launches a bundle, which I found likely, it won't be at that price. $399 to $419 is more likely to make it look more attractive.

And I wasn't aware that we knew about VR costs. I wouldnn't mind if you share that info with the rest.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
jonzie23 said:
eva01beserk said:

console $350 + HDM $300 + Camera move budle $128 = $778

I would also add cost of TV once you are at it (I love when people forget about it!), because who in the right mind buys console without a TV? And you'll end up with similar price. Knowing that, I would choose premium product (Oculus), that probably will be capable of more than just being simple gaming perhiperal. That's what Luckey meant when saying 'different markets'.

 

Yeah. I think these Sony fans are forgetting the OR runs on water and displays directly into the brain. Furthermore, in the real world nobody owns a TV but they do own a VR-ready desktop PC and monitor. Another nail in PSVR's coffin.



JGarret said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Still expensive, but it must start somewhere. This gen it will still be niche, although a lot larger than previous attemps, but for VR to become mainstream we'll have to wait at least until next gen, maybe even later.

I´m thinking VR porn will be one of the main things that will eventually cement VR as a success.

LOL, I can already see neck veins of Jack Thompson and countless conservative bishops, pastors, priests and imams popping. 



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")

A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.

TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

        

Alby_da_Wolf said:
JGarret said:

I´m thinking VR porn will be one of the main things that will eventually cement VR as a success.

LOL, I can already see neck veins of Jack Thompson and countless conservative bishops, pastors, priests and imams popping. 

While they use it :p But just for research purposes. 



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Roronaa_chan said:
jonzie23 said:

I would also add cost of TV once you are at it (I love when people forget about it!), because who in the right mind buys console without a TV? And you'll end up with similar price. Knowing that, I would choose premium product (Oculus), that probably will be capable of more than just being simple gaming perhiperal. That's what Luckey meant when saying 'different markets'.

 

Yeah. I think these Sony fans are forgetting the OR runs on water and displays directly into the brain. Furthermore, in the real world nobody owns a TV but they do own a VR-ready desktop PC and monitor. Another nail in PSVR's coffin.

Hold down the sarcasm, he might actually belive it. 

I would not respond to another stupid coment like this, I aleady did once at the begining of the thread, so its mute at this point.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Roronaa_chan said:
jonzie23 said:

I would also add cost of TV once you are at it (I love when people forget about it!), because who in the right mind buys console without a TV? And you'll end up with similar price. Knowing that, I would choose premium product (Oculus), that probably will be capable of more than just being simple gaming perhiperal. That's what Luckey meant when saying 'different markets'.

 

Yeah. I think these Sony fans are forgetting the OR runs on water and displays directly into the brain. Furthermore, in the real world nobody owns a TV but they do own a VR-ready desktop PC and monitor. Another nail in PSVR's coffin.

My thoughts exactly.

Also in the real world most people need only decent GPU (even my granny have a PC, that could become gaming machine if GPU has been updated), and I'm sure as hell it doesn't cost $1000 :D

The biggest nail in PSVR coffin will be it's limitations - gaming only, and PS4 only (built in CPU and GPU will make sure of that) ;)