Quantcast
Locked: the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Miyamotoo said:
Jay70sgamer said:
What everyone is missing is that ,we will find out in April or May definitely if the Nintendo Nx is coming out this year ...the fiscal year ends March 31....Nintendo will soon after have projections for the next fiscal year......it will show how many units they intend to sell for the fiscal year.....(example if they state they have projections to sell 20 million units ..let's say 2 millions wii u's and let's say 5 or 6 million 3ds worldwide ......it would be somewhat obvious that the Nintendo Nx will arrive in 2016) for the fiscal year....(2016-2017)

That is very good point, so if NX is really coming this year they needed to reveal it around April (Nintendo reveals financial results and plans for next year usually at end of next month, that means end of April or begining of May), definitely before E3. Basically we need to wait just around 3 months more. :)  :(

yes, and in 3 months you all will be proven wrong. when that happens, i hope youll all be completely embarrassed and ashamed of yourselves.



Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:
Wyrdness said:

 

It is logic whether you want to admit it or not you'll swallow it, if it was pricey enough for them to wait for it to drop in price and still cost 20 quid when released stand alone it's more pricey then a GC controller. The whole Wii as a concept was a giant risk, you've admitted I'm right here as if WMP added enough cost to make it a risk then it costs far more then a GC controller would have.

Adding a few dollars to a controller =/= costing the same as a whole controller.



 

If it was a few dollars it would have been included now you're backpeddling, the Wii was dead cheap at launch as well, literally the same price as the PSP at the time which had been out on the market for a few years and had price cuts.



Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo not dropping the Wii U price is another tell tale sign they've given up on the platform.

If they're serious about this being something they're going to back for another two years basically, they'd be trying a lot harder to increase the userbase in a meaningful manner.

Instead it seems they are content just selling the same low 3 mill/year Wii Us each year and aren't willing to cut the price because they would incur unnecessary losses. They don't believe in this platform at all.

They've given up on this system. If they were really behind it they would be aggressive in cutting the price like the 3DS or how Microsoft is fighting tooth and nail for the XBox One. Nintendo? Doesn't give two craps about the Wii U, they were willing to fight for the 3DS, but with Wii U once the casuals didn't show up, Nintendo knew they were fucked for the generation. 

They are just riding this thing out now, they know they're only going to sell a paltry 14-17 million and they've known this for a while, they're not willing to cut the price other than some "flash drops" for a couple of weeks over the holidays but that's it. They view it as a failed platform and are just hoping to recoup the maximum amount of money from the core Nintendo faithful willing to buy it. That's why it's stuck at $300. 

the wii u still being $300 and stuff allows some time to drop the price and stuff it before it's finally discontinued and stuff. the system  is getting cheaper and cheaper to manufacture and stuff, and they can keep the sales higher by cutting the price this year and stuff. then next year, they can continue to maintain the sales and stuff by cutting the price again and stuff. so just by looking at the price and stuff, we can see that they are able to maintain the sales and stuff well into 2017 and stuff. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if 2016 is their peak year and all that stuff. 



Thunderbird77 said:
Shiken said:

 


If the WiiU releases this year, all I can say is you will see for itself crash and burn due to bad timing in the form of most people will have friends on X1 and PS4.  People will play where their friends are and that is that.  The NX will not have enough to offer people jumping to current gen that will pull them from where most people play.  It is truly remarkable how people are blind to this fact.

 

The only people who will buy it should it release this year are Ninty fans and multi console gamers, myself included.  It will not do drastically better than the WiiU and we will be back here having this discussion again if they even try at consoles again after that and fail to learn from their mistakes.

 

There is really nothing more to say, reality will be on side here and you can see with your own eyes.

Be ready for dissapointment.



 


As someone who will be buying NX, yes I am prepared for disappointment from how well it sells.  Glad you agree.  ;)

 

(I mean seriously, I don't want NX to fail which is why I don't want it releasing this year.  Use your head man.)



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Thunderbird77 said:
Wyrdness said:

 

Sorry but drop the rubbish, WMP was more modern tech then anything in a GC controller, the add on cost more then a GC controller to make. This is made more apparent that Nintendo didn't put the tech in the Wiimote at launch because it wasn't financially viable and too pricey.

The fact that those games had Wiimotes bundled proves the whole point, Wiimote required, bundled, point proven. 

It wasn't pricey by itself but would make the wiimote more costly at launch, making it a risk. If it retailed for $20 at a profit, you can bet it costed less than even an old GC controller.



im shocked that you two are still at it with this whole TP GC/Wii argument. you guys have been at it for how long? going on three days? you still havent reached a conclusion about any of this, and youve let the argument go on several tangents and have not come any closer to any kind of resolution to this whole thing. lol





Around the Network
PerturbedKitty said:

the wii u still being $300 and stuff allows some time to drop the price and stuff it before it's finally discontinued and stuff. the system  is getting cheaper and cheaper to manufacture and stuff, and they can keep the sales higher by cutting the price this year and stuff. then next year, they can continue to maintain the sales and stuff by cutting the price again and stuff. so just by looking at the price and stuff, we can see that they are able to maintain the sales and stuff well into 2017 and stuff. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if 2016 is their peak year and all that stuff. 

You say stuff a lot, is that what becoming a PlayStation fan has done to you?





[] [] [] {} [] 

Soundwave said:
MikeRox said:

 


I'm a bit confused.

Mega Drive launched way before the SNES.

 

Dreamcast launched a year before the PS2, but then PS2 launched a year before both Xbox and GameCube, so that gen was staggered over 3 years. What made the PS2 the right time for that gen?

 

Xbox 360 launched a year before the Wii and PS3.

 

I dont think "mid gen" has ever really been a thing. Releases have always been separate. How long is a gen? The PS1 and Saturn were hitting shelves this year at this stage in the SNES's life (compared with when Wii U hit the market). The 3DO and such were already on the market.

 

Yeah good points. 

 

Mega Drive/Genesis (40 million sold), Playstation One (100 million), Playstation 2 (150 million sold), Nintendo DS (150 million sold) are "mid-gen" cycles by these definitions. 

Genesis came out in '89, just three years after the Sega Master System. 

Playstation launched at this point in the SNES life cycle (1994 in Japan, 1995 in North America). 

PS2 launched a year ahead of its competitors. 

XBox 360 launched a year ahead of the Wii and PS3. 

DS replaced the GBA after only 3 1/2 years. 

the 360, PS1 and PS2 are not mid gen. by any definition. thats just insane. NDS and PSP, MAYBE. thats a big maybe. those systems were definitely early, but you have to take into consideration that they were both trying to get a jump start on one another. i bet if they werent worried about competition, they would have released in 2005 alongside the 360.

the only thing that is close to a midgen system is the dreamcast, but i wouldnt necessarily say that it is. but it is the closest . 





Soundwave said:
MikeRox said:

 


I'm a bit confused.

Mega Drive launched way before the SNES.

 

Dreamcast launched a year before the PS2, but then PS2 launched a year before both Xbox and GameCube, so that gen was staggered over 3 years. What made the PS2 the right time for that gen?

 

Xbox 360 launched a year before the Wii and PS3.

 

I dont think "mid gen" has ever really been a thing. Releases have always been separate. How long is a gen? The PS1 and Saturn were hitting shelves this year at this stage in the SNES's life (compared with when Wii U hit the market). The 3DO and such were already on the market.

 

Yeah good points. 

 

Mega Drive/Genesis (40 million sold), Playstation One (100 million), Playstation 2 (150 million sold), Nintendo DS (150 million sold) are "mid-gen" cycles by these definitions. 

Genesis came out in '89, just three years after the Sega Master System. 

Playstation launched at this point in the SNES life cycle (1994 in Japan, 1995 in North America). 

PS2 launched a year ahead of its competitors. 

XBox 360 launched a year ahead of the Wii and PS3. 

DS replaced the GBA after only 3 1/2 years. 

they're not good points. launching a year ahead of the competition is not "mid-gen" WTF 





PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:

 

Yeah good points. 

 

Mega Drive/Genesis (40 million sold), Playstation One (100 million), Playstation 2 (150 million sold), Nintendo DS (150 million sold) are "mid-gen" cycles by these definitions. 

Genesis came out in '89, just three years after the Sega Master System. 

Playstation launched at this point in the SNES life cycle (1994 in Japan, 1995 in North America). 

PS2 launched a year ahead of its competitors. 

XBox 360 launched a year ahead of the Wii and PS3. 

DS replaced the GBA after only 3 1/2 years. 

they're not good points. launching a year ahead of the competition is not "mid-gen" WTF 



In that case, Dreamcast isn't a "mid-gen" console either then. 

The only examples of mid-gen system releases would the DS and Sega Genesis, and both were hugely successful and they represent the best selling Nintendo and Sega systems respectively. 

Really though all this stupid, there's no singular "formula" for a successful console. You execute properly or you don't. 

Even the Dreamcast, had Sega not be on wonky financial footing may have very well outsold the GameCube or XBox at least, if Sega simply had the money to stay in the race.



Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:

 

Yeah good points. 

 

Mega Drive/Genesis (40 million sold), Playstation One (100 million), Playstation 2 (150 million sold), Nintendo DS (150 million sold) are "mid-gen" cycles by these definitions. 

Genesis came out in '89, just three years after the Sega Master System. 

Playstation launched at this point in the SNES life cycle (1994 in Japan, 1995 in North America). 

PS2 launched a year ahead of its competitors. 

XBox 360 launched a year ahead of the Wii and PS3. 

DS replaced the GBA after only 3 1/2 years. 

they're not good points. launching a year ahead of the competition is not "mid-gen" WTF 



In that case, Dreamcast isn't a "mid-gen" console either then. 

The only examples of mid-gen system releases would the DS and Sega Genesis, and both were hugely successful and they represent the best selling Nintendo and Sega systems respectively. 

Really though all this stupid, there's no singular "formula" for a successful console. You execute properly or you don't. 

Even the Dreamcast, had Sega not be on wonky financial footing may have very well outsold the GameCube or XBox at least, if Sega simply had the money to stay in the race.

i believe they would have stayed in the race had they just made it not so piracy friendly. 

dreamcast isnt mid gen. and as i stated, the psp and ds both got an earlier start on the seventh gen because they were trying to one up eachother.