Quantcast
Locked: the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Thunderbird77 said:

Now you are just pretending you're not reading the posts. THE WIIMOTE + NUNCHUCK COULD NOT PLAY GAMECUBE GAMES. was it clear now? If wiimote and nunchuck could be used to play gamecube games through BC, a port wouldn't be necessary and sales would be the same. Unless you think the wii u successor's controller will remove buttons from the gamepad, it won't have any problem playing Zelda U.

Wind Waker was an old game probably already out of print. You expect sales of every previous gen game to jump with a new console that has BC?



 

WW only came out 3 years prior to the Wii's launch, your point was a port isn't needed if BC is there yet Wii had BC and even was compatible with GC controllers, this makes your whole but but Wiimote argument null and void when trying to back your argument here. What further kills this argument is that the only input missing on the Wiimote from the GC was the C-stick which is used for the camera, the Wiimote and nun-chuck actually has an extra button in its place so yes you could easily play TP with that controller with out the MC implemented but guess what a port still happened.

Straight up TP shoots down your argument, the are various reasons why a port is done and it's more then just controls.



Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Now you are just pretending you're not reading the posts. THE WIIMOTE + NUNCHUCK COULD NOT PLAY GAMECUBE GAMES. was it clear now? If wiimote and nunchuck could be used to play gamecube games through BC, a port wouldn't be necessary and sales would be the same. Unless you think the wii u successor's controller will remove buttons from the gamepad, it won't have any problem playing Zelda U.

Wind Waker was an old game probably already out of print. You expect sales of every previous gen game to jump with a new console that has BC?



 

WW only came out 3 years prior to the Wii's launch, your point was a port isn't needed if BC is there yet Wii had BC and even was compatible with GC controllers, this makes your whole but but Wiimote argument null and void when trying to back your argument here. What further kills this argument is that the only input missing on the Wiimote from the GC was the C-stick which is used for the camera, the Wiimote and nun-chuck actually has an extra button in its place so yes you could easily play TP with that controller with out the MC implemented but guess what a port still happened.

Straight up TP shoots down your argument, the are various reasons why a port is done and it's more then just controls.

The wii was compatible with the gamecube controller but didn't include one (doing so would be needlessly costly). 3 years is a long time, you can't compare games released much earlier with one releasing at the same time as the console. The wiimote is not compatible with gamecube games, with or without the lack of buttons. Nintendo had to either port the game or include a GC controller, so porting was the obvious choice (the hardware being the same also made the port possible and done quickly). Something like this won't happen in the future, thanks to wireless tech on controllers.





Thunderbird77 said:

The wii was compatible with the gamecube controller but didn't include one (doing so would be needlessly costly). 3 years is a long time, you can't compare games released much earlier with one releasing at the same time as the console. The wiimote is not compatible with gamecube games, with or without the lack of buttons. Nintendo had to either port the game or include a GC controller, so porting was the obvious choice (the hardware being the same also made the port possible and done quickly). Something like this won't happen in the future, thanks to wireless tech on controllers.



 


Except Nintendo are not against packing things with games, they did it with SS and have bundles in games like Smash for example plus have GC controller bundles the were 22m or so GCs sold by the time Wii U launched so a number of people already had them plus they weren't hard to get a hold of, the only button that the Wiimote and Nunchuck couldn't replicate was the C-stick for camera control. 3 years is not long enough for a game like Zelda to be out of print.

The were 3 main reasons for the port, one was to push sales of the new platform, 2 so it can be marketed as a game for the new platform thus reduce confusion for new consumers as well as point them more to the new platform and finally 3 was to give the game as big a potential consumer base as possible especially being the biggest most expensive game at the time for the company. These 3 reasons are why it's likely Zelda U will have an NX version, a controller is a null and void issue for Nintendo if BC is present because they've shown they'll bundle and controllers in general are actually dirt cheap for companies to produce.

The first 2 reasons are also the main reasons behind TP being delayed on GC to begin with because they needed the game to be newly release for maximum impact, the game's draw would have been reduced had it launched a year earlier on GC as planned. It's all a strategy even if the Wiimote was a standard controller the Wii would have still got a port of TP.



I'll have a wait and see approach. We have no hard evidence right now that hints at a 2016 or a 2017 release. While I would like Wii U to last another year, I can't deny the fact that Nintendo's going back and forth between that and 3DS has caught up to them. We can't expect them to release a consistent stream of games while maintaining their quality. HD is expensive and takes longer to create games. That's why assets from previous games are being used. Trying to create a completely new engine and game would take a while. 3DS is declining and is considered the old man of the generation not only for its length in the market, but also for its tech. We'll just have to see what gets replaced first.



Aeolus451 said:
atomicblue said:
I agree with you, OP.

I just wish this wasn't even a topic of discussion. I was tired of reading about this six months ago.

 


It's gonna be a long year. I only post in some of the more interesting ones. 

It's only a long year if you spend a lot of time on gaming sites, where people bring this subject up on a regular basis. VGC is a particularly bad offender, hence why I don't read these forums too often.



Around the Network
PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:

NX should just end the whole "generation" nonsense. It's stupid to reset your market share to 0 every 5-6 years.


Just make a continually evolving service as the central pillar of the platform and let people upgrade with options over the years on their OWN schedule.

My schedule for wanting/needing a new piece of system is different from someone else's, everyone is different. The game industry should become more flexible like STEAM, iOS, Android, etc. are.

Some people like a new iPhone every 1-2 years, some people use the same smart phone for 4-5 years without complaint.

Look at all this bickering over stupid shit like "I need 5 years! I prefer 4" ... who cares. Nintendo's goal should just to get people into the NX ecosystem in whatever hardware form factor suits that person the best and then sell them freaking games. Remember that? Selling games? Isn't that the damn point? 

The industry is not 90% 7-14 year old boys anymore reliant on mom/dad/saving money in a piggy back to afford a video game; we don't need to be talked down to and told when to upgrade, if game consoles aren't toys anymore, then stop treating us like fucking toy buyers. 

That's what I would like to see. End of all this nonsense and introduce a more democratic model that gives the consumer a say in their own freaking entertainment. What's Nintendo clinging to the old model for anyway? They have basically nothing left in the console market ... a puny little 10 million base of buyers, so why cling to an outdated way of offering hardware to consumers when it doesn't even work for you anymore in the first place. 

generations are awesome. it makes the whole thing a hell of a lot more fun. i like when successors to consoles come out. consoles are great. you get to look forward to their libraries and all sorts of fun shit. furthermore, generations are necessary. you cant stick with the same hardware for more than 6 years, its just old and outdated. it needs to be replaced at some point. personally, i enjoy generations a whole lot. it gives the industry a lot more character. i still am not seeing your problem in how it is currently being done. the way console generations work is just fine.



I have to agree with this playstation hardcore fan here.





Well if they don't announce new games for Wii U , it's the same shity treatment as to release NX in holidays 2016.



PerturbedKitty said:

its been a real annoyance watching people live their lives as if this NX thing is releasing 2016, end of story. look, guys, it isnt happening. if anything, we might see a 3DS replacement. but the wii u? definitely not getting replaced this year. did you guys know that nintendo is still selling this console for $300? when in history was a console $300 the year it got replaced? never, that's when. nintendo is making money off the wii u right now, and they will all year. 2017 might be a good year to replace the wii u. right now, nintendo is still showing incredible support on all of its wii u software, and you guys honestly think that this console is going to be dropped by the end of the year? it isnt happening. i have declared that it isnt happening, and that is the end of it.

discuss.

 


I've been saying this literally since the "NX" was first even hinted at. It's NOT coming out in 2016, at all. If it does, it would be a retarded move on Nintendo's part. Wii U is still making them money, not a TON, but enough. 3DS is still making them money, a fair bit actually. There is zero reason to replace either this year, and the new Prez himself has said they are "in no hurry to replace Wii U". Similar statements were made about 3DS earlier on as well.

NX is VERY VERY likely not coming out in 2016. And not only is saying it will wishful thinking, it's also silly wishful thinking, because wanting a new system to be rushed and potentially hurt it's long-term success, when you can just as easily wait and (god forbid) enjoy another year or so of good Wii U gaming. Just doesn't make any rational sense for anyone to want Nintendo to rush Wii U's succesor to market. Let it "cook" as long as it needs to go be GOOD, and have a strong lineup of games waiting, not just for launch, but all the way up until it's first holiday season and beyond. If you want NX to succeed, then THAT is what you should want to happen, in 2017.



DevilRising said:

I've been saying this literally since the "NX" was first even hinted at. It's NOT coming out in 2016, at all. If it does, it would be a retarded move on Nintendo's part. Wii U is still making them money, not a TON, but enough. 3DS is still making them money, a fair bit actually. There is zero reason to replace either this year, and the new Prez himself has said they are "in no hurry to replace Wii U". Similar statements were made about 3DS earlier on as well.

NX is VERY VERY likely not coming out in 2016. And not only is saying it will wishful thinking, it's also silly wishful thinking, because wanting a new system to be rushed and potentially hurt it's long-term success, when you can just as easily wait and (god forbid) enjoy another year or so of good Wii U gaming. Just doesn't make any rational sense for anyone to want Nintendo to rush Wii U's succesor to market. Let it "cook" as long as it needs to go be GOOD, and have a strong lineup of games waiting, not just for launch, but all the way up until it's first holiday season and beyond. If you want NX to succeed, then THAT is what you should want to happen, in 2017.

"Another year of good Wii U gaming"?

The Wii U has barely anything coming out even this year, and nothing at all announced for 2017.

If there were any big games still to come, we'd know about them by now. They haven't announced a major new Wii U game since E3 2014, the writing is on the wall.



Wyrdness said:
Thunderbird77 said:

The wii was compatible with the gamecube controller but didn't include one (doing so would be needlessly costly). 3 years is a long time, you can't compare games released much earlier with one releasing at the same time as the console. The wiimote is not compatible with gamecube games, with or without the lack of buttons. Nintendo had to either port the game or include a GC controller, so porting was the obvious choice (the hardware being the same also made the port possible and done quickly). Something like this won't happen in the future, thanks to wireless tech on controllers.



 


Except Nintendo are not against packing things with games, they did it with SS and have bundles in games like Smash for example plus have GC controller bundles the were 22m or so GCs sold by the time Wii U launched so a number of people already had them plus they weren't hard to get a hold of, the only button that the Wiimote and Nunchuck couldn't replicate was the C-stick for camera control. 3 years is not long enough for a game like Zelda to be out of print.

The were 3 main reasons for the port, one was to push sales of the new platform, 2 so it can be marketed as a game for the new platform thus reduce confusion for new consumers as well as point them more to the new platform and finally 3 was to give the game as big a potential consumer base as possible especially being the biggest most expensive game at the time for the company. These 3 reasons are why it's likely Zelda U will have an NX version, a controller is a null and void issue for Nintendo if BC is present because they've shown they'll bundle and controllers in general are actually dirt cheap for companies to produce.

The first 2 reasons are also the main reasons behind TP being delayed on GC to begin with because they needed the game to be newly release for maximum impact, the game's draw would have been reduced had it launched a year earlier on GC as planned. It's all a strategy even if the Wiimote was a standard controller the Wii would have still got a port of TP.

Bundling the wii with gamecube controllers would be needlessly expensive. Bundling a gamecube game with a gamecube controller would have been redundant. There's no comparing to limited edition bundles nintendo does every now and then.

The port was necessary due to incompatibility with wii controllers, and was made possible because it was essentially the same hardware. Now we'll probably have a different architeture and no controller issues.