Quantcast
The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Forums - Movies Discussion - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Lawlight said:
I was wrong. Of the big market, only China is favourable to Avatar. So, the only way to have a somewhat fair comparison is to compare values in local currency. In Australia, TFA is at AU$79M after 4 week-ends. Avatar ended at AU$114M which means TFA will not pass Avatar. And that's despite the rise in ticket price.

It remains to be seen if TFA can sell more tickets than Avatar in the US.

 

Thats the thing people don't factor n either.

 

When i went to see avatar in 3D i paid $16AUD,  TFA is like $21AUD for 2D. Saying all that I went and saw it in gold class for $40AUD lol.



 

 

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Lawlight said:
I was wrong. Of the big market, only China is favourable to Avatar. So, the only way to have a somewhat fair comparison is to compare values in local currency. In Australia, TFA is at AU$79M after 4 week-ends. Avatar ended at AU$114M which means TFA will not pass Avatar. And that's despite the rise in ticket price.

It remains to be seen if TFA can sell more tickets than Avatar in the US.

 

Thats the thing people don't factor n either.

 

When i went to see avatar in 3D i paid $16AUD,  TFA is like $21AUD for 2D. Saying all that I went and saw it in gold class for $40AUD lol.

Ah, a fellow Aussie. It's a shame that the regular poster on this website don't know about the goodness of gold class.





Wonktonodi said:
brute said:

 


We on't know if TFA's average ticket price is higher than Avatars since Avatar sold most of its tickets in 3D, I remember reading older reports in BoxofficeMojo that stated that over 70% of its ticket sold were in 3D.

 

Also TFA is about to pass Avatar even when adjusting for tickets prince inflation (domestically) but of course it won't come close to it WW.

 

Indeed, with the ticket estimates on box office mojo it should pass avatars total ticket sales within a week  in fact it's expected to become the first movie since titanic to sell over one hundred million tickets. 

That's pretty freaking amazing. 

Sometimes it's easy to forget too that this is the SEVENTH Star Wars movie, lol after almost 40 years. The fact that this franchise can still dominate like it does says a lot. 

People are falling over themselves for a seventh Rocky movie (basically) making just $100 million dollars. 

It really does reaffirm my thoughts all along that all they had to do was make a "decent" Star Wars movie without the wood acting/dialogue/flat humor that the prequels were plagued by and return more to the style of the OT and they would make mountains of money. 

If Episode I in 1999 had been of this relative quality, it would have beaten Titanic as well I think. 



Soundwave said:

That's pretty freaking amazing. 

Sometimes it's easy to forget too that this is the SEVENTH Star Wars movie, lol after almost 40 years. The fact that this franchise can still dominate like it does says a lot. 

People are falling over themselves for a seventh Rocky movie (basically) making just $100 million dollars. 

It really does reaffirm my thoughts all along that all they had to do was make a "decent" Star Wars movie without the wood acting/dialogue/flat humor that the prequels were plagued by and return more to the style of the OT and they would make mountains of money. 

If Episode I in 1999 had been of this relative quality, it would have beaten Titanic as well I think. 

I dont think Ep 1 could ever be this sucesfull, the fact tat Ep1 didnt please ppl was one fo the reasons everyone had this craving for a new star wars, if 1 had been sucessfull ppl would be very hyped but nearly as desperate to go see the movie as they were. And Rocky cant realy be compared to Star Wars both in mass appeal and budget.





Soundwave said:

That's pretty freaking amazing. 

Sometimes it's easy to forget too that this is the SEVENTH Star Wars movie, lol after almost 40 years. The fact that this franchise can still dominate like it does says a lot. 

People are falling over themselves for a seventh Rocky movie (basically) making just $100 million dollars. 

It really does reaffirm my thoughts all along that all they had to do was make a "decent" Star Wars movie without the wood acting/dialogue/flat humor that the prequels were plagued by and return more to the style of the OT and they would make mountains of money. 

If Episode I in 1999 had been of this relative quality, it would have beaten Titanic as well I think. 

Lol you seriously comparing Creed to Star Wars?

The movie wasn't even advertised internationally. It jsut showed up in cinemas one day in some countries and not many knew about it. COmpare that to Rocky VI and makes you wonder why they even bothered with a cinema release lol.



 

 

Around the Network

Looks like the movie will limp to pass Titanic as it's not doing all that great in China.



If Monday estimates areright thats an interesting jump, 6 millions, kinda out of nowhere too. last week was still quite a bit better than JW, the movie still have a solid shot of making 1 billion on USA. China didnt help it much tough, it likely to do 150-170M there, I believe itll end around 1.2-1.3 billion worldwide.



Wow. After the first 2 weeks, I thought it was certain that it would beat Titanic, and maybe even beat Avatar, but now I am not so sure. Heck, it may not even beat the projection of $2,384m (from here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211606&page=43#7).



DakonBlackblade said:

If Monday estimates areright thats an interesting jump, 6 millions, kinda out of nowhere too. last week was still quite a bit better than JA, the movie still have a solid shot of making 1 billion on USA. China didnt help it much tough, it likely to do 150-170M there, I believe itll end around 1.2-1.3 billion worldwide.

 

Monday was a holiday so hardly out of nowhere. If you look at the king size box office comparison on box office mojo you'll see avatar and titanic also had a boost. 

The billion is still possible a little over $141 million to go and even if it doesn't it will still get into the top 10 all time adjusted which is amazing. 



Cobretti2 said:
Soundwave said:

That's pretty freaking amazing. 

Sometimes it's easy to forget too that this is the SEVENTH Star Wars movie, lol after almost 40 years. The fact that this franchise can still dominate like it does says a lot. 

People are falling over themselves for a seventh Rocky movie (basically) making just $100 million dollars. 

It really does reaffirm my thoughts all along that all they had to do was make a "decent" Star Wars movie without the wood acting/dialogue/flat humor that the prequels were plagued by and return more to the style of the OT and they would make mountains of money. 

If Episode I in 1999 had been of this relative quality, it would have beaten Titanic as well I think. 

Lol you seriously comparing Creed to Star Wars?

The movie wasn't even advertised internationally. It jsut showed up in cinemas one day in some countries and not many knew about it. COmpare that to Rocky VI and makes you wonder why they even bothered with a cinema release lol.

 

Rocky franchise used to be huge money earners, and it's a franchise that's about as old as Star Wars ('76 for Rocky, '77 for Star Wars). 

It's a niche franchise today (Rocky), just using that to illustrate how amazing the longevity of Star Wars is. 

You think anyone would give a shit about Avatar 7 or Terminator 7? Yet the seventh Star Wars film is huge.