Quantcast
The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Forums - Movies Discussion - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Wonktonodi said:
StreaK said:

 

Godddd I hope it doesn't beat Avatar. I also hope it doesn't beat Titanic. It probably will, though, because Titanic is already 20 years old as opposed to Avatar being just 7. Titanic in actuality has probably over $4 billion worldwide. Oh well, it was a nice run for Titanic...hasn't been topped for a GIGANTUM 20 years.

If Star Wars makes it to the top it won't last because Avatar 2 will destroy it.

 

Titanic came out 18 years ago and considering it was topped by avatar it's reign at the top lasted 12 years. Also avatar came out 6 years ago not 7. Both movies released in December

There are two movies that held the top spot for longer

Birth of a nation 25 years.

Gone with the wind 24 though 23 consecutive then one more after a release. And counting inflation Gone with the wind has never been topped.

 

Yeah, but in terms of ticket sales Avatar didn't even come close to the 135 million sold set by Titanic. I think it did like half that lol. Titanic today would have over a billion domestically (without 3D like Avatar had) and I'm even afraid to say how much internationally. This is the most modern film that has accomplished such crazy numbers. You take a look at the top 20 inflation adjusted and well, Titanic is like the only 90's film on there. Many are 70' and 80's and even way before. I don't really consider Avatar topping Titanic...it's just EXTREMELY difficult to crown Avatar when the ticket sales were actually quite low.

Gone with the Wind had NUMEROUS theatrical releases...it was a whole different world back then and cannot be compared to Titanic's time. ALL people had then were movies for entertainment really as far as technology goes. Titanic did monstrous sales in the 90's when there were many other forms of entertainment options. In any case, BOTH were huge for their respective time periods. 

And yeah, you're right...6 years. It was pretty much released in 2010.



"The Path of Excess leads to the tower of Wisdom."

Around the Network
ArmGunar said:
StreaK said:

 

Not in terms of ticket sales, though. Star Wars has to beat 135 million tickets sold. In comparison, Phantom Menace did only 84 million. This is only including domestics.

How did you get that number of ticket ? Do you know a website with number of tickets solds/admissions and not $ grossed for box office (domestic or/and international market) ? :)



Yeah, just go to the amazing site www.boxofficemojo.com - they are extremely reliable! You can convert the grosses to any year you wish as well as convert to the estimated ticket sales based on avg ticket prices for 2015.





"The Path of Excess leads to the tower of Wisdom."

StarOcean said:
Volterra_90 said:

I agree. In my mind is that 3D movie (very beautiful, indeed) with blue people but without any memorable about that. I can't remember a single character of the movie. 



I remember the main dude's name is like Jake Sully and there's a cool alien horse XD I don't think it transitioned well into home media. It was a movie made to be seen on the big screen in 3D. Not to be watched on a regular tv without 3D 



Wow, thanks a lot for downplaying Avatar's success just because you didn't think much of it.

Yet it just so happens to be like the best-selling bluray/dvd of all-tiime!!! That doesn't happen to movies that are hated.





"The Path of Excess leads to the tower of Wisdom."

StreaK said:
StarOcean said:

I remember the main dude's name is like Jake Sully and there's a cool alien horse XD I don't think it transitioned well into home media. It was a movie made to be seen on the big screen in 3D. Not to be watched on a regular tv without 3D 



Wow, thanks a lot for downplaying Avatar's success just because you didn't think much of it.

Yet it just so happens to be like the best-selling bluray/dvd of all-tiime!!! That doesn't happen to movies that are hated.



I'm not downplaying anything. I'm just giving my opinion. I didn't even mention that it was hated, so I have no idea where that came from... and if its done well on DVD/BluRay, cool. I don't really track movies, it's not my expertise. 





What's more interesting is seeing if it can beat them when adjusted for inflation.



Around the Network
StarOcean said:
StreaK said:

Wow, thanks a lot for downplaying Avatar's success just because you didn't think much of it.

Yet it just so happens to be like the best-selling bluray/dvd of all-tiime!!! That doesn't happen to movies that are hated.



I'm not downplaying anything. I'm just giving my opinion. I didn't even mention that it was hated, so I have no idea where that came from... and if its done well on DVD/BluRay, cool. I don't really track movies, it's not my expertise. 



It's okay to like the original Fern Gully more than Fern Gully 3D: I do.





StreaK said:
StarOcean said:

I remember the main dude's name is like Jake Sully and there's a cool alien horse XD I don't think it transitioned well into home media. It was a movie made to be seen on the big screen in 3D. Not to be watched on a regular tv without 3D 



Wow, thanks a lot for downplaying Avatar's success just because you didn't think much of it.

Yet it just so happens to be like the best-selling bluray/dvd of all-tiime!!! That doesn't happen to movies that are hated.



I'm not downplaying its sucess, in fact, it was a huge sucess, it's just that I don't like it. And I can't help myself to think otherwise. And, honestly, I don't think there's a lot to think about Avatar xDDD. Just my opinion, though. 





I dont think anything will ever beat Avatar, but this will definetly beat Avengers, Jurassic World and probably beat Titanic.

VGPolyglot said:
What's more interesting is seeing if it can beat them when adjusted for inflation.

No it wouldnt and this also makes no sense, Gone with the Wind adjusted for inflation would have grossed over 5 billion dolars, thats unrealistic as hell, if the tickets costed what they cost nowadays a lot less ppl woudlve bought it, also ppl went more to theaters in the past because we didnt have nearly as much forms of entertainement as we do today. Adjusting grosses for inflation makes 0 sense realy.

Volterra_90 said:

I'm not downplaying its sucess, in fact, it was a huge sucess, it's just that I don't like it. And I can't help myself to think otherwise. And, honestly, I don't think there's a lot to think about Avatar xDDD. Just my opinion, though.

I dont dislike Avatar but I think its basicaly Pocahontas told with blue alliens instead of indians. Its a fun movie but nothing spetacular, ppl watched it for the visual appeal more than anything.



It makes perfect sense to compare adjusted for inflation.



I still need to see star wars