Quantcast
Project M (Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod) has ceased development

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project M (Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod) has ceased development

Tagged games:

http://projectmgame.com/

Project M, a mod for the popular Wii game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has officially ceased development, with the entire site down.

For those who don't know, Project M was a mod released in 2011 that heavily changed the gameplay mechanics of Brawl, making it resemble the more fast-paced action of Super Smash Bros. Melee. The mod also went as far as to add Mewtwo and Roy, two characters in Melee that weren't in Brawl.

The mod has gained a lot of attention and popularity in competitive tournaments over the years, but with Nintendo's more recent involvment with sponsoring tournaments, streaming channels like VGBootCamp stopped streaming Project M, and support for the mod started to die down.

You can read the final message left behind on the site's link.

Project M

February 7, 2011 - December 1, 2015



Around the Network

Loved the HD remakes of the 64 stages. It was a good run.



That's unfortunate news. Never downloaded this but played some of it in my friends' dorm. I should really get to downloading it myself!



Well, that is a bit of a shocker. I didn't think this day would come. Though maybe it's for the better. They should focus on other things rather than on a mod of an old game which caused a stir because it wasn't like Melee...



 

              

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
Well, that is a bit of a shocker. I didn't think this day would come. Though maybe it's for the better. They should focus on other things rather than on a mod of an old game which caused a stir because it wasn't like Melee...


If people wanted a certain game, then they have a right to make a stir when they don't get the game they were hoping for.

Project M was a great project for getting people to play a more modern take on a game they thoroughly enjoy, and while I do think they have every right to pursue other ventures (they should too), they should have put the final build for download.

I'm thinking Nintendo sent them a cease and desist letter, which sucks since it's a free fan made project to help fans get the game they want



Around the Network

Sad to hear :(
I only play Smash 4 competitively, but PM was always fun to watch



Currently most hyped for: FFXV and Zelda U

midrange said:
Cloudman said:
Well, that is a bit of a shocker. I didn't think this day would come. Though maybe it's for the better. They should focus on other things rather than on a mod of an old game which caused a stir because it wasn't like Melee...


If people wanted a certain game, then they have a right to make a stir when they don't get the game they were hoping for.

Project M was a great project for getting people to play a more modern take on a game they thoroughly enjoy, and while I do think they have every right to pursue other ventures (they should too), they should have put the final build for download.

I'm thinking Nintendo sent them a cease and desist letter, which sucks since it's a free fan made project to help fans get the game they want

I don't mean to say they shouldn't. They are free to do that. I just think it was unnecessary. They should have stuck to melee if they were unhappy about it.



 

              

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
midrange said:
Cloudman said:
Well, that is a bit of a shocker. I didn't think this day would come. Though maybe it's for the better. They should focus on other things rather than on a mod of an old game which caused a stir because it wasn't like Melee...


If people wanted a certain game, then they have a right to make a stir when they don't get the game they were hoping for.

Project M was a great project for getting people to play a more modern take on a game they thoroughly enjoy, and while I do think they have every right to pursue other ventures (they should too), they should have put the final build for download.

I'm thinking Nintendo sent them a cease and desist letter, which sucks since it's a free fan made project to help fans get the game they want

I don't mean to say they shouldn't. They are free to do that. I just think it was unnecessary. They should have stuck to melee if they were unhappy about it.

It's not unnecessary. Sometimes, the best way to get something you want out of a company, is by creating a stir. DRM policies and the kinect were removed due to player feedback.

In this case, the fans pleaded for a new melee game, some fans delivered on that desire, and now that project has been cut off. I truly hope it wasn't because of a cease and desist letter (although I think it is), because if so, I will give up on Nintendo this gen



So it goes

 

"I only play Smash 4 competietivly" -scoffs



In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

midrange said:
Cloudman said:
midrange said:
Cloudman said:
Well, that is a bit of a shocker. I didn't think this day would come. Though maybe it's for the better. They should focus on other things rather than on a mod of an old game which caused a stir because it wasn't like Melee...


If people wanted a certain game, then they have a right to make a stir when they don't get the game they were hoping for.

Project M was a great project for getting people to play a more modern take on a game they thoroughly enjoy, and while I do think they have every right to pursue other ventures (they should too), they should have put the final build for download.

I'm thinking Nintendo sent them a cease and desist letter, which sucks since it's a free fan made project to help fans get the game they want

I don't mean to say they shouldn't. They are free to do that. I just think it was unnecessary. They should have stuck to melee if they were unhappy about it.

It's not unnecessary. Sometimes, the best way to get something you want out of a company, is by creating a stir. DRM policies and the kinect were removed due to player feedback.

In this case, the fans pleaded for a new melee game, some fans delivered on that desire, and now that project has been cut off. I truly hope it wasn't because of a cease and desist letter (although I think it is), because if so, I will give up on Nintendo this gen

I agree that sometimes it is good to critique when something harmful, like the examples you mentioned, but here, I don't think it was. The changes in Brawl weren't harmful, but just not in a way that people were used to. They could have chosen to adjust to the new game, or stick to the old, but they choose the odd 3rd path which took the most time and effort, and I applaud their efforts, but still think it was unnecessary.

It sounds like they decided to quit on their own, which I think that's a good idea. Smash 4 is out, so there isn't much reason to play Brawl anymore, so it's best to just end it there and move on.



 

              

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread