Quantcast
How much power would the NX need to perfectly emulate WiiU games?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much power would the NX need to perfectly emulate WiiU games?

If they want wii u compatibility it will be designed with that in mind even if using different architecture. They will optimise a few things to enable full speed wii u emulation. As previously stated the wii u gpu its pretty standard although low power radeon hardware and the cpu is absolutely dire so no problems with that. The memory bandwidth is very low in wii u except for the 32MB of high speed memory. That 32MB could be difficult to emulate but the NX may well have a similar memory arrangement.

Full wii u compatibility is no problem at all and wii emulation could be done easily fully in software I'm sure without having to worry about optimising anything.

I think people have to remember with Microsoft's approach that they use patches to bypass emulation issues. So its only partial emulation and part new code. It's a different approach and the xbox one probably isn't powerful enough to emulate the 360 fully in software. However the 360 in many ways is more powerful than wii u and the xbox one is likely less powerful than NX at least in cpu terms so its an easier job.

So looking forward to NX hoping its a return to decent Nintendo hardware that will unleash the full potential of Nintendo's game developers and not having to fight the hardware all the time.

I would truly love it if the NX had a top loading optical drive and ran wii u, wii and gamecube software but the reality is I think no optical drive so wii u compatibility is only going to be for digital downloads so I'll need to keep my wii u anyway as I have few digital games.



Around the Network
BasilZero said:
$599 US Dollars worth of power.

Could probably do it alot cheaper... the problem is....

Nintendo will probably spend 100$ of their budget on a gamepad controller again >_>

 

I say problem, and the reason is, if Playstation & xbox, use 20$ controllers, Nintendo cant make a 100$ controller, and sell a equally powerfull hardware wise console, for the same price point, without sustaining losses.

And PS4 will probably be 300$ by the time the NX launches, it would need to be alot more powerfull than a PS4, if its going to ask for those prices.



The DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U all offered backward compatibility through hardware. I see no reason why they wouldn't do this on the NX. They will most likely make consumers by a Wii U Gamepad separately, just to keep costs low (for those users who don't have one).

So the answer is 75 Watts, the power draw of the Wii U.



JRPGfan said:
BasilZero said:
$599 US Dollars worth of power.

Could probably do it alot cheaper... the problem is....

Nintendo will probably spend 100$ of their budget on a gamepad controller again >_>

 

I say problem, and the reason is, if Playstation & xbox, use 20$ controllers, Nintendo cant make a 100$ controller, and sell a equally powerfull hardware wise console, for the same price point, without sustaining losses.

And PS4 will probably be 300$ by the time the NX launches, it would need to be alot more powerfull than a PS4, if its going to ask for those prices.

 



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

DM235 said:
The DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U all offered backward compatibility through hardware. I see no reason why they wouldn't do this on the NX. They will most likely make consumers by a Wii U Gamepad separately, just to keep costs low (for those users who don't have one).

So the answer is 75 Watts, the power draw of the Wii U.

Wii U is a 45nm chip..

If Nintendo went with a 16nm FinFET single chip (apu), they could probably cut that 75watts down by ALOT (like down to 20watts or so).



Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
DM235 said:
The DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U all offered backward compatibility through hardware. I see no reason why they wouldn't do this on the NX. They will most likely make consumers by a Wii U Gamepad separately, just to keep costs low (for those users who don't have one).

So the answer is 75 Watts, the power draw of the Wii U.

Wii U is a 45nm chip..

If Nintendo went with a 16nm FinFET single chip (apu), they could probably cut that 75watts down by ALOT (like down to 20watts or so).

Good point, although Nintendo most likely wouldn't go with the latest (and most expensive) designs.  For example, Intel was shipping 22 nm Ivy Bridge processors in 2012, while Nintendo used 45 nm for the Wii U.

A 28 nm design is more likely, so that would bring it down to about 45 Watts.



DM235 said:
JRPGfan said:

Wii U is a 45nm chip..

If Nintendo went with a 16nm FinFET single chip (apu), they could probably cut that 75watts down by ALOT (like down to 20watts or so).

Good point, although Nintendo most likely wouldn't go with the latest (and most expensive) designs.  For example, Intel was shipping 22 nm Ivy Bridge processors in 2012, while Nintendo used 45 nm for the Wii U.

A 28 nm design is more likely, so that would bring it down to about 45 Watts.

Its just.... 3D transistors (finFETs) add so much, the jump from 28nm -> 16nm is massive.

Maybe its a pipedream... but I really wish nintendo would do 16nm FinFET, and aim for 50% more performance than a PS4, and use like 8gb of Hybrid memory cube ram, with a APU useing newest proccessor design from AMD.

Then just release the console around 450$ or so (with a standart controller).



JRPGfan said:

Its just.... 3D transistors (finFETs) add so much, the jump from 28nm -> 16nm is massive.

Maybe its a pipedream... but I really wish nintendo would do 16nm FinFET, and aim for 50% more performance than a PS4, and use like 8gb of Hybrid memory cube ram, with a APU useing newest proccessor design from AMD.

Then just release the console around 450$ or so (with a standart controller).

Last year's phones (Samsung Galaxy S6) were already using 14 nm CPUs, so this is obviously possible.  If the price breakdowns are believable, you can build the Galaxy S6 for about $290.  Since consoles don't need a built-in screen, that cost can be put towards a better GPU / better RAM.  But again, I am not getting my hopes up, since Nintendo does not seem to want to use cutting edge technology.  Heck, they may be better off releasing a $249 home console that is on par with the current gen.

Price breakdown for a Samsung Galaxy S6:

http://www.techinsights.com/teardown.com/SamsungGalaxyS6/



First, NX needs to be a home console. X1 emulates the x360 with 6x the power. It seems like Wii U's  successor will have at least 4 teraflops, wich is already around 8x the wii u's power. I don't think emulation will be a problem.



bonzobanana said:
If they want wii u compatibility it will be designed with that in mind even if using different architecture. They will optimise a few things to enable full speed wii u emulation. As previously stated the wii u gpu its pretty standard although low power radeon hardware and the cpu is absolutely dire so no problems with that. The memory bandwidth is very low in wii u except for the 32MB of high speed memory. That 32MB could be difficult to emulate but the NX may well have a similar memory arrangement.

Full wii u compatibility is no problem at all and wii emulation could be done easily fully in software I'm sure without having to worry about optimising anything.

I think people have to remember with Microsoft's approach that they use patches to bypass emulation issues. So its only partial emulation and part new code. It's a different approach and the xbox one probably isn't powerful enough to emulate the 360 fully in software. However the 360 in many ways is more powerful than wii u and the xbox one is likely less powerful than NX at least in cpu terms so its an easier job.

So looking forward to NX hoping its a return to decent Nintendo hardware that will unleash the full potential of Nintendo's game developers and not having to fight the hardware all the time.

I would truly love it if the NX had a top loading optical drive and ran wii u, wii and gamecube software but the reality is I think no optical drive so wii u compatibility is only going to be for digital downloads so I'll need to keep my wii u anyway as I have few digital games.

The 360 is way less powerful than wii u in every way and so will x1 against NX (if NX is a home console.