Quantcast
Picked Up An XB1 Over The Weekend

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Picked Up An XB1 Over The Weekend

I was going to wait for a special edition console bundle that I felt I just had to have before making the leap.  However, since my wife had been mentioning wanting a larger TV for her lounge (she had a 32in in there), and Best Buy had the 40in smart TV and XB1 deal for $500, I had to pull the trigger.  After all, I basically got the Halo MCC bundle XB1 for 70 bucks.  I picked up Sunset Overdrive so that I would have a true next-gen XB1 game to play along with the Halo bundle.  My initial impressions of the system and games are below.

The UI on the Xbox is a complete eyesore to me.  I am hoping that it will grow on me over time.  The amount of advertising that immediately leaps out to me on each tab is a complete turn off though.  I understand advertising things in the store tab, but must I see what Twitch channels have high viewership without specifically going to Twitch?  Seems unnecessary to me.  That said, I do enjoy the Pin tab.  At least I have complete control there.  I didn't spend much time in the settings menus yet so maybe I am overlooking the ability to customize (or remove) the other tabs... hopefully.

MCC took forever to download, which I expected, since I assume a ton of new users were downloading it as well based on how many people were in line at my local Best Buy on Sunday morning.  When I say it took forever, I mean that it took as long for the game to download 100% as it took me to get from Chapter 3 to the Platinum trophy in The Order.  So, a few hours.

Once I had Halo installed and ready to go I fired it up and got that delicious nostalgia feeling seeing the opening to Halo 1.  I have never been a huge Halo multiplayer guy, but I did enjoy the campaigns in 1-3.  I never really did 4, so that will be a new experience for me once I get through 1-3 again.  A few seconds (30 or so) into the opening sequence on Halo 1 though I started to wonder if packing this game in was the best decision for MS to make, specifically for new customers.  In that first 30 seconds there were noticeable framerate drops and screen tearing.  This is a port of a remake of a game 2 gens old.  Really shouldn't have these kinds of problems on their flagship series on their brand new hardware.  Also, while Halo 1 looks much better than it did 10 years ago, it really isn't giving any decent showcase of what the hardware is capable of.  If I hadn't owned both MS consoles previously, I would've wondered what I had gotten myself into with this one being my first experience.

With regards to Sunset Overdrive, I grabbed that one as a physical game.  I threw the disc in and waited roughly 5 minutes for it to install to a point where I could play the game.  Then, after seeing the opening "produced by" graphics, got another 2 minute install screen.  Then the tutorial (the first tutorial anyway).  After the first tutorial I got another 5 minute install screen.  Then, finally, I was able to play the game unhindered.  15+ minutes to install a game off disc is a bit crazy to me.  But, at least now I know so I can plan out my time a bit better when I get my new games.

My hour playing Sunset Overdrive was a blast.  Game is exactly what I had hoped it would be.  Last year at RI Comic Con I gave the game a quick 5 minute try and that try really was a disservice to the game itself.  It is a crazy, gorgeous (even if the art style isn't my favorite), over the top fun game that I am looking forward to spending a ton of time on.

I grabbed a charger pack for the controller so that I wouldn't have to deal with the AA batteries thing.  I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they stuck with the batteries route.  Not a huge deal though.  While the XB1 controller is comfortable, the DS4 is certainly my favorite controller this gen though, by far.

My last gripe is when I went to renew my Gold account.  I couldn't use the free 2 weeks that came with the system because I had a Gold account in the past... fine.  I can accept that.  When I went to renew though I learned that Microsoft doesn't accept Discover as a payment option.  Seriously?  One of the largest companies on this planet doesn't accept all credit card options?  So, I am not on Gold just yet.  I will wait for a sale and grab a pre-paid card for it.

Nothing with the system makes me regret the purchase.  I do feel as though it is noticeably a notch below the PS4 in terms of UI and install speeds.  My intention for this gen though has been for the PS4 to be my third party game haven while XB1 and Wii U will be relegated to mainly exclusives only.  EA Access might change my mind on 3rd parties in some cases, will have to wait and see.

 

TL;DR: There are a few nagging issues with the UI and game installation that I am sure I will get used to.  Most importantly, the games I have so far are a blast to play and I am really looking forward to picking up more exclusives (Scalebound, Quantum Break, etc.) as they release.



Around the Network

One of us! One of us!

Seriously though, welcome to the Xbox One club. Good to see you're enjoying Sunset so far. I can relate to the install time issue. It's painfully slow on Xbox One, especially so when compared to the lightning fast PS4 install speeds. I personally prefer the Xbox UI over the other ones, maybe that's just me though



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Your complains about the X1 UI reminds me how terrible the 360 UI got through the years. I miss The Blades so much. It was simple, intuitive and fast; just like an UI should be.



Congrats! ^^



Wright said:

Your complains about the X1 UI reminds me how terrible the 360 UI got through the years. I miss The Blades so much. It was simple, intuitive and fast; just like an UI should be.


My use of the 360 declined considerably over the last few years of the gen.  I remember the UI on it being great, quick, and simple.  The XB1 UI, to me, is definitely a step backwards from that.



Around the Network

The gripes about the UI and the install, I agree on. I don't like how the store is set up. However, Xbox One is about to change that in a few months with the new UI coming. I'm sure there will be patches to speed up the installation.

I find the Xbox One to be one hell of a console though. There's a few gripes about the PS4 that I have. Fewer than Xbox One though.

I still has yet to play Sunset Overdrive. I want to very badly. LOL I heard nothing but greats things about that game. It seems right up my alley.

Pros and cons to both consoles though. I do like the DS4 better than the XB1 controller.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Ka-pi96 said:
One of us! One of us!

Seriously though, welcome to the Xbox One club. Good to see you're enjoying Sunset so far. I can relate to the install time issue. It's painfully slow on Xbox One, especially so when compared to the lightning fast PS4 install speeds. I personally prefer the Xbox UI over the other ones, maybe that's just me though


I feel like even if I didn't have the PS4 to compare the install speed to I would still be scratching my head on it.  Hopefully over time they can find a way to improve upon that.

At least the UI on the XB1 is still a much better, faster experience than that of the Wii U!  :)



Yo defiantly got yourself a nice deal there :) Sunset Overdrive is an amazing games and is still my game of the gen across all platforms and would recommend it to anyone. Once you 1st install a game the time does take forever but once you have had it a while you can just leave it installing in the background whilst playing others which is great.

When you 1st jump onto the Xbox One the UI does seem awful and takes some time to get to grips with it and although its not as swift and clean as the PS4 yet that should be resolved next month for preview members and I think November for everyone with the Windows 10 UI and on the positive side of the UI you will realize there is quite a lot more information and stats on offer.

The best thing with the Xbox One controller is its 25 hour charge life with the plug and charge kit opposed to the 5 hours of the DS4 which is great and comfort of it is just personal preference for each and their own. I personally find when playing FPS the offset analog sticks to be superior for reaction times.



WoodenPints said:
Yo defiantly got yourself a nice deal there :) Sunset Overdrive is an amazing games and is still my game of the gen across all platforms and would recommend it to anyone. Once you 1st install a game the time does take forever but once you have had it a while you can just leave it installing in the background whilst playing others which is great.

When you 1st jump onto the Xbox One the UI does seem awful and takes some time to get to grips with it and although its not as swift and clean as the PS4 yet that should be resolved next month for preview members and I think November for everyone with the Windows 10 UI and on the positive side of the UI you will realize there is quite a lot more information and stats on offer.

The best thing with the Xbox One controller is its 25 hour charge life with the plug and charge kit opposed to the 5 hours of the DS4 which is great and comfort of it is just personal preference for each and their own. I personally find when playing FPS the offset analog sticks to be superior for reaction times.

I grabbed the energizer kit with the packs:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-licensed-Energizer-Charging-System-Xbox/dp/B00EADTVLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439301584&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+energizer

I feel like the battery life would have to be better than the DS4 regardless of the pack selection though.  As comfortable as I find the DS4 the battery life is absolutely deplorable.



Not a bad review. I can respect your first impressions. I think, in about a week, a lot of your gripes will disappear.

Try the media functions, the "snap" functions, and if possible the preview program. I think you'll end up loving the Xbox One quite a lot.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!