Quantcast
5 things you need to know about Street Fighter 5

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 things you need to know about Street Fighter 5

mornelithe said:
 

Yeah...post-launch, at 'some point'.  It also doesn't address everything else I said.  So, yeah, 16 characters at launch doesn't inspire a huge amount of hype in me, when a game 14 years earlier managed to have 21, just from the SF franchise, at launch.  That's the problem.  If at some point SFV has 21 characters, we can readdress this subject, at which point, I'll still point out that I just don't find the engine to be in the spirit of the franchise.


You don't understand how the development of games like Capcom vs SNK work.

 

Capcom RE-USED sprites from their old games (SF Alpha, Darkstalkers...etc) which led to criticims that older sprites looked lik shit compared to newer ones.

 

For example, Morrigan's sprite in CvS2 is from 1997's Darkstalkers 3, that'sa  4 year old sprite.

 

Just compare Morrigan to Terry Bogard here:

 

This isn't something odd in fighting game development. Why do you think King of Fighters XII had the lowest amount of characters in the series? (20 if you're wondering). It's because SNK threw out all the old sprites that they've just been retouching since King of Fighters '99 (So they've been using them for over 10 years).

Game graphics have been getting more and more detailed and the work and cost involved in creating these HD 3D models and HD 2D sprites continues to rise and rise.

 

For example, check these three sprites of Kyo Kusangi:

 

They're from games developed a total of 6 years apart. KOF'99, KOF 2003 and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum . And they're all at their native resolutions.

 

Then you have these two:

 

As you can see, the HD 2D sprites are much larger and more detailed than their predeccessors and with more frames of animation.

Not to mention.....these two HD sprites? They're not alternate costumes of one another....the one on the left is Kyo from KOF 12. The one on the right is from KOF 13.

 

Yes, they still use this method today.

 

But that's not what capcom is doing with SFV. They're throwing out all the old models and animations and starting anew, hence the lower number of characters.

 

And besides, what's the problem with having 16 characters at launch? Because ALL POST LAUNCH CHARACTERS WILL BE FREE DLC, NOT PAID!



Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah...post-launch, at 'some point'.  It also doesn't address everything else I said.  So, yeah, 16 characters at launch doesn't inspire a huge amount of hype in me, when a game 14 years earlier managed to have 21, just from the SF franchise.

I get what your saying but I don't think a lack of characters should decide how hype one should be.  Sometimes less is better, giving Capcom more time to tune-up each character so they'll be less broken etc..

You have to admit tho it's better than the new Killer Instinct lol

Haven't played the new KI, was never really into it honestly.  And I'm fine with others getting hyped about SFV, that's great, for them, I just can't get behind it for the reasons I've already outlined.  And not to be mean, but I just don't buy the excuse that it gives Capcom more time to tune-up each character.  They have finite skill sets, that've been outlined for...I dunno, 2 decades at this point?  It's not like every iteration rewrites the book on Ken, Ryu, Chun Li, Blanka, M. Bison, Balrog, Vega etc..., you know?  New skills for each character aren't 'numerous' with each iteration.  So, I just don't believe that line of thought.



burning_phoneix said:

You don't understand how the development of games like Capcom vs SNK work.

 

Capcom RE-USED sprites from their old games (SF Alpha, Darkstalkers...etc) which led to criticims that older sprites looked lik shit compared to newer ones.

 

For example, Morrigan's sprite in CvS2 is from 1997's Darkstalkers 3, that'sa  4 year old sprite.

 

Just compare Morrigan to Terry Bogard here:

 

This isn't something odd in fighting game development. Why do you think King of Fighters XII had the lowest amount of characters in the series? (20 if you're wondering). It's because SNK threw out all the old sprites that they've just been retouching since King of Fighters '99 (So they've been using them for over 10 years).

Game graphics have been getting more and more detailed and the work and cost involved in creating these HD 3D models and HD 2D sprites continues to rise and rise.

 

For example, check these three sprites of Kyo Kusangi:

 

They're from games developed a total of 6 years apart. KOF'99, KOF 2003 and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum . And they're all at their native resolutions.

 

Then you have these two:

 

As you can see, the HD 2D sprites are much larger and more detailed than their predeccessors and with more frames of animation.

Not to mention.....these two HD sprites? They're not alternate costumes of one another....the one on the left is Kyo from KOF 12. The one on the right is from KOF 13.

 

Yes, they still use this method today.

 

But that's not what capcom is doing with SFV. They're throwing out all the old models and animations and starting anew, hence the lower number of characters.

 

And besides, what's the problem with having 16 characters at launch? Because ALL POST LAUNCH CHARACTERS WILL BE FREE DLC, NOT PAID!

Yeah, but unlike a lot of people, I could give a rats ass about graphics on a fighting game that is otherwise top notch (I feel the same regarding GT5 and the premium cars versus standard).  I still play Capcom vs SNK 2, it's still hands down, the best fighting game in the SF/KoF universe, not just from a character standpoint, but also how much deeper the game is.  Again, people are completely w/in their right to be hyped for this game, I'm not telling anyone how to feel.  But, my personal opinion is, I don't feel hyped for it.

And as I said to Ethomaz, we can redress this when SFIV has 21+ characters, at which point, I'll still have an issue with the engine, which is why, if I choose to play any current fighters in that design, I play Guilty Gear XRD or KoFXIII.   I just like the engines better.



ethomaz said:

mornelithe said:

Yeah...post-launch, at 'some point'.  It also doesn't address everything else I said.  So, yeah, 16 characters at launch doesn't inspire a huge amount of hype in me, when a game 14 years earlier managed to have 21, just from the SF franchise, at launch.  That's the problem.  If at some point SFV has 21 characters, we can readdress this subject, at which point, I'll still point out that I just don't find the engine to be in the spirit of the franchise.

It is 16 chars unlocked since start.

You can unlock others playing the game since day one.

There won't be paid characters... all free.

Yeah and?  Capcom vs SNK 2 had 21 SF characters from the start (48 total), and the hidden characters you could unlock (Some of which were incredibly challenging).  I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be hyped for a return to something that was industry standard 14 years ago.  That's like being ecstatic that Sony and Microsoft stop being money grubbing whores and giving server control back to players.  I mean they, along with EA and Activision assholes only removed something that'd been an industry standard for the previous couple decades, right?  And what'd it accomplish?  Jerkweeds get away with hacking far more frequently, it takes them longer to respond to complaints, oh yeah, and they can force feed us shitty DLC.

While it IS good, to see them returning to a more consumer friendly model, it doesn't make up for the fact that they force fed us this horseshit to begin with, nor that gamer's lapped it up without any concern for what precedent it set.  And yes, I hold gamer's and developers/publishers equally complicit in this.  If we weren't so busy acting like children regarding whose platform of choice is superior, maybe...just maybe, people would've listened to PC gamer's and recognized how these practices could harm our experience.  But, kids be kids.



It doesn't really bother me that it only has 16 playable characters to start with Aslong as cammy is selectable which she is im all good! Master her and your unbeatable :)



PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
 

Yeah, but unlike a lot of people, I could give a rats ass about graphics on a fighting game that is otherwise top notch (I feel the same regarding GT5 and the premium cars versus standard).  I still play Capcom vs SNK 2, it's still hands down, the best fighting game in the SF/KoF universe, not just from a character standpoint, but also how much deeper the game is.  Again, people are completely w/in their right to be hyped for this game, I'm not telling anyone how to feel.  But, my personal opinion is, I don't feel hyped for it.

And as I said to Ethomaz, we can redress this when SFIV has 21+ characters, at which point, I'll still have an issue with the engine, which is why, if I choose to play any current fighters in that design, I play Guilty Gear XRD or KoFXIII.   I just like the engines better.


What do you mean by "engine"? Graphics engine? Games engine?

mornelithe said:
 

  I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be hyped for a return to something that was industry standard 14 years ago. kids.

Because it wasn't the industry standard.

 

The industry standard 14 years ago would be Street Fighter V having unlockable characters from Street Fighter IV with their old untouched 3D models from 2008.

 

The Industry Standard 14 years ago would be King of Fighters releasing a new game every year from 1994 till 2003 that were essentially the fighting game equivlant of yearly madden titles and charging 60$ every year.

The industry standard 14 years ago would be Capcom releasing at least 3 versions of the same game with a couple additional characters and some tweaks and charging full price each time.

 

SNK and Capcom have been conning you your entire life. Those "additional characters" you unlock are the same sprites you bought 3 years ago just put in a different game to save costs alongside the same musical tracks and same sound effects.

 

Now that Capcom is actually expending EFFORT to make new model rigs, sounds and animations and giving it out for FREE!....you're shitting on them?



burning_phoneix said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah, but unlike a lot of people, I could give a rats ass about graphics on a fighting game that is otherwise top notch (I feel the same regarding GT5 and the premium cars versus standard).  I still play Capcom vs SNK 2, it's still hands down, the best fighting game in the SF/KoF universe, not just from a character standpoint, but also how much deeper the game is.  Again, people are completely w/in their right to be hyped for this game, I'm not telling anyone how to feel.  But, my personal opinion is, I don't feel hyped for it.

And as I said to Ethomaz, we can redress this when SFIV has 21+ characters, at which point, I'll still have an issue with the engine, which is why, if I choose to play any current fighters in that design, I play Guilty Gear XRD or KoFXIII.   I just like the engines better.


What do you mean by "engine"? Graphics engine? Games engine?

The games engine, also not a huge fan of the attempt to move towards more of a Tekken environment/character design.



mornelithe said:
I love fighting games, I've just never been a fan of Capcom's new SF engine. I've always thought that engines like Guilty Gear or King of Fighters XIII were the way they should've gone, so it really doesn't inspire hype in me to see a new Street Fighter based off an engine I really just don't like (on Street Fighter). I think it works great for Tekken, because Tekken was designed to set itself apart from Street Fighter.

Plus, how'm I supposed to get hyped for a game with 16 characters, when 14 years ago, they were able to produce Capcom vs SNK 2, which had 21 characters from the SF franchise alone (out of a total of 48)?

I think overall, fighters were better back then anyway. Idk... maybe I'm just old but, I had more fun with MK and SF back in the early 90's than I do now.



AlfredoTurkey said:
mornelithe said:
I love fighting games, I've just never been a fan of Capcom's new SF engine. I've always thought that engines like Guilty Gear or King of Fighters XIII were the way they should've gone, so it really doesn't inspire hype in me to see a new Street Fighter based off an engine I really just don't like (on Street Fighter). I think it works great for Tekken, because Tekken was designed to set itself apart from Street Fighter.

Plus, how'm I supposed to get hyped for a game with 16 characters, when 14 years ago, they were able to produce Capcom vs SNK 2, which had 21 characters from the SF franchise alone (out of a total of 48)?

I think overall, fighters were better back then anyway. Idk... maybe I'm just old but, I had more fun with MK and SF back in the early 90's than I do now.

I can still have fun (and own) SFIV, Tekken, etc... (never got into Marvel vs Capcom), but yeah, totally agree, I just found those games/engines etc... to be better.  Though, I do really like KoFXIII.



burning_phoneix said:
mornelithe said:

  I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be hyped for a return to something that was industry standard 14 years ago. kids.

Because it wasn't the industry standard.

 

The industry standard 14 years ago would be Street Fighter V having unlockable characters from Street Fighter IV with their old untouched 3D models from 2008.

 

The Industry Standard 14 years ago would be King of Fighters releasing a new game every year from 1994 till 2003 that were essentially the fighting game equivlant of yearly madden titles and charging 60$ every year.

The industry standard 14 years ago would be Capcom releasing at least 3 versions of the same game with a couple additional characters and some tweaks and charging full price each time.

 

SNK and Capcom have been conning you your entire life. Those "additional characters" you unlock are the same sprites you bought 3 years ago just put in a different game to save costs alongside the same musical tracks and same sound effects.

 

Now that Capcom is actually expending EFFORT to make new model rigs, sounds and animations and giving it out for FREE!....you're shitting on them?

Not really sure why you care about this so much, nothing you say, at all, has or will have an effect on my opinion.  I will still not be 'hyped' (watch out, I'm shitting on Capcom again!!!) for SFV, I will still consider Capcom vs SNK 2 to be the better game.  I will still consider KoFXIII's engine to be better and more in tune with the spirit of the SF games, and I will still purchase games that interest me (not you, I know, real shocker).

PS.  If you actually buy every game released, just because they're released, you're part of the problem with the gaming industry.  You have a computer, research them first.