Quantcast
Xbox Empire - Double Fine Joins XGS | Gears 5 Launches September 10th | Ori and the WotW Launches February 11th | Bleeding Edge Announced | Flight Simulator Announced |

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Double Fine Joins XGS | Gears 5 Launches September 10th | Ori and the WotW Launches February 11th | Bleeding Edge Announced | Flight Simulator Announced |

starcraft said:
Gears reviews in like 30ish minutes?

Reviews pretty good so far.



Around the Network

Gears reviews are exactly what I expected. Usual complaining about playing it safe and not re-inventing the wheel. Fuck that shit, if it ain't broken don't fix it. Not surprising the new "Escape" mode doesn't get any praise, it looked boring to begin with. But I'm sure it's a high quality game packed with content!



KiigelHeart said:
Gears reviews are exactly what I expected. Usual complaining about playing it safe and not re-inventing the wheel. Fuck that shit, if it ain't broken don't fix it. Not surprising the new "Escape" mode doesn't get any praise, it looked boring to begin with. But I'm sure it's a high quality game packed with content!

Its the standard problem with any game series.  Trying to reinvent and the wheel would alienate hardcore gamers who love the series.  Instead you add a few new features and try to polish those without changing the basic formula of the game.  It would be stupid to make Gears totally different instead that is what off shoot or new games within the universe would be good for not the main game.  From what I have read so far, its worth my time and it sounds like its a solid addition to the series.



86 on Meta/Open right now, which is a great score, I never expected 90+ like some because I had a feeling the open world would get knocked and it would also get knocked for not changing enough.



86 is what i predicted at the prediction thread. Game looks phenomenal can't wait to play it.



Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Qi14S4Djw





Ryuu96 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Qi14S4Djw

Pretty epic trailer.



Ryuu96 said:
86 on Meta/Open right now, which is a great score, I never expected 90+ like some because I had a feeling the open world would get knocked and it would also get knocked for not changing enough.

Since when are sequels for a 2-4 years old games are required to "change enough"? Are reviewers telling us that sequels like Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3 or Halo "changed enough" when they got their high scores? 

I'm not complaining about the score, as I've yet to play the game to say if it's fair or not, but reading this reason frustrate me.

Gears gameplay still excellent and an example for others to copy. No need to change it dramatically. Sequels that close to each other should improve a little bit and build upon the story. You can't come in demanding big changes. What about the 5-6 million fans of the franchise?

In another subject,  I'm disappointed by the media members who hyped the game up the last two days.  They acted like they were expecting a 80-90 game and they got a 110 game. Gears isn't a mediocre franchise that you're surprised by the quality and it ends up scoring 86. That is an insult to the franchise and the developer.



I LOVE GIGGS said:
Ryuu96 said:
86 on Meta/Open right now, which is a great score, I never expected 90+ like some because I had a feeling the open world would get knocked and it would also get knocked for not changing enough.

Since when are sequels for a 2-4 years old games are required to "change enough"? Are reviewers telling us that sequels like Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3 or Halo "changed enough" when they got their high scores? 

I'm not complaining about the score, as I've yet to play the game to say if it's fair or not, but reading this reason frustrate me.

Gears gameplay still excellent and an example for others to copy. No need to change it dramatically. Sequels that close to each other should improve a little bit and build upon the story. You can't come in demanding big changes. What about the 5-6 million fans of the franchise?

In another subject,  I'm disappointed by the media members who hyped the game up the last two days.  They acted like they were expecting a 80-90 game and they got a 110 game. Gears isn't a mediocre franchise that you're surprised by the quality and it ends up scoring 86. That is an insult to the franchise and the developer.

Agreed, if it ain't broke...But they'll always be a few reviewers who complain about it being the same old, I still love Gears gameplay so those reviews don't mean anything to me. It is hard like you said to make major changes to certain franchises as you risk pissing off the hardcore fanbase, it's kinda why I would love to see The Coalition do a new IP, anyway 86 is a really great score so it doesn't really matter much, I just didn't expect 90+ due to them reasons.