Quantcast
The Witcher 3 - Out Now! Impressions?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 - Out Now! Impressions?

Tagged games:

Opinion?

Excellent! 254 42.62%
 
Great! 71 11.91%
 
Good 32 5.37%
 
It's OK 32 5.37%
 
Eh... 13 2.18%
 
No thanks 20 3.36%
 
Get this thing out of here! 7 1.17%
 
See results 164 27.52%
 
Total:593
JGarret said:
 

Regarding the bolded, are you talking about that jenny of the woods quest?...I fought her  when I was level 8 (second highest difficulty) and she did give me trouble, hardest enemy I´ve faced so far, just because that particular wraith hits quite hard, just one hit from her does a good deal of damage to your health bar.

Yep that's her. I dodge, hit her twice and evade, yet sometimes she manages to counter attack taking almost 50% of my health in 1 hit. All added up I must have hit her for well over 5k damage, does she regenerate? I killed the clones asap, yet maybe she always regenerates a little?
Is there a way to see monster health?

I guess I should look for quests in order.

Anyway further impressions, good game but the gameplay is weak. Sure I'm not doing stuff in the right order, but losing due to the camera getting stuck in a tree or clunky movement making me go where I don't want to, is annoying. Plus witcher sense seems half broken and way too strict. On one hand the red trail is very glitchy on the other the game is very finicky having you click everything in order at the exact spot to trigger the next obvious clue. For example I already pressed the door button 5 times in wandering the dark, yet it wouldn't work as I guess I hadn't lit up the sign first in red or wasn't standing on the correct pixel. Search the circle for clues is getting very stale, poorly executed.

I should go back to the Baron first. They wouldn't let me in when I was there earlier, but now the main quest is pointing me there the gate might be open.
It is surprisingly linear for open world so far, but it should open up a bit if I stick to the main quest for a while, need to level up some. The secondary quests don't give much xp at all.



Around the Network
StokedUp said:
zero129 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
StokedUp said:
I've got a feeling me NOT destroying the tree spirit linked with the ladies of the woods quest might of been a bad decision, just by the witches reaction to that.


LOL

Bad decision or not you will see soon enough :D

I made the same decision but now im not sure if it could have a bigger impact later on on my final ending :-/ , im really thinking about going back an doing it again but changing a few things xD .


If your worried about it effecting the main ending it doesn't! So don't worry about that. Those choices come much later on, but it does effect something in the game. I've been told this by my friend who completed the game.

Ha well thats good to know takes a lot of the pressure off of making most of the decisions in the side quests, Really i was sweating over my decision cos i wanna try getting a good ending or at least a good ending in Witcher terms lol xD.



dane007 said:

Yup the game wants you to explore everything  as you will get lots of good loot and you need to do these quests to gain that experience. fatest way to leel up is to undiscover hte question marks. you gian good shit with it.

you can kill  level 10 guys even if you are level 4 or 5. you just need to have the weaposn for it. i have been killing enemies 5 to 7 levels higher then me.  Best way is to discover the question marks. they tend to give you good weapons and armor. atm i have the dwarf hatchet taht gives my steel weapon to 210 and i have a rare silver sword that boost my silver attack to 293 at level 6.  Also you are right, always kill yoru archer, plus with humans , you the sign above aard. the one that controls people. if you stun, all you need to do , is to go with your stell sword and its instant kill . only works with humans though.

 

Yea  i learnt my mistake trying to play hard on witcher 2. so this time i am playing it  on normal. I wouldnt know if its instant death on hard as i am not playing it lon hard.  For me the controls are perfect compared to the witcher 2 . if you have played the series , then by now you would be used to it.  I guess if you are use to bloodbournes combat, this will take quite a  bit of tiem to get use to it.  If you meditate, the enemies dont recover. itsonly you who will heal life lol.  with regards t  your noon wraiths, you probably encountered a bug . you would have to restart it lol. 

 

Good idea especially  on the diffculty you are playing on. 

Yeah, I should turn the question marks back on. I turned them off cause it made it feel too much like a todo list, yet I see that the Serpentine swords I worked hard for are pretty useless already. Less than an hour into Velen I already found a standard steel sword that's better :/

I put most my points in axii, puppet control, and managed to charm a bandit to work for me. Fun. I guess that only works on humans and is dangerous to use as well. You have to cast it for quite a long time leaving you vulnerable. Yet they hit a lot harder than me when it works.

I played the Witcher 2 with keyboard and mouse. It was clunky too, but the camera is a lot easier to keep under control with the mouse, which made the combat far more enjoyable. On PS4 I constantly have to adjust with the view going sideways or the camera going behind things. Plus I wish there was some indication whether you're locked on or not when you're fighting a single enemy. That was pretty annoying with the wraith.
With multiple enemies it highlights the one you're locked on too, yet still not ideal as it's tricky to change to the closest target.

It's not always bad, sometimes it clicks and I'm side stepping, counter attacking in synch with the camera, and the game neatly locks on to the next logical target to take out a whole group without trouble. That feels great. Yet just as often the game seems to want nothing more than to make me sick with the wild camera movements and keeps switching to a target I'm not facing nor close to.



SvennoJ said:
JGarret said:
 

Regarding the bolded, are you talking about that jenny of the woods quest?...I fought her  when I was level 8 (second highest difficulty) and she did give me trouble, hardest enemy I´ve faced so far, just because that particular wraith hits quite hard, just one hit from her does a good deal of damage to your health bar.

Yep that's her. I dodge, hit her twice and evade, yet sometimes she manages to counter attack taking almost 50% of my health in 1 hit. All added up I must have hit her for well over 5k damage, does she regenerate? I killed the clones asap, yet maybe she always regenerates a little?
Is there a way to see monster health?

I guess I should look for quests in order.

Anyway further impressions, good game but the gameplay is weak. Sure I'm not doing stuff in the right order, but losing due to the camera getting stuck in a tree or clunky movement making me go where I don't want to, is annoying. Plus witcher sense seems half broken and way too strict. On one hand the red trail is very glitchy on the other the game is very finicky having you click everything in order at the exact spot to trigger the next obvious clue. For example I already pressed the door button 5 times in wandering the dark, yet it wouldn't work as I guess I hadn't lit up the sign first in red or wasn't standing on the correct pixel. Search the circle for clues is getting very stale, poorly executed.

I should go back to the Baron first. They wouldn't let me in when I was there earlier, but now the main quest is pointing me there the gate might be open.
It is surprisingly linear for open world so far, but it should open up a bit if I stick to the main quest for a while, need to level up some. The secondary quests don't give much xp at all.


I think she keeps regenerating health as long as the three clones are alive, so it´s imperative to get rid of them as quickly as you can, at least they´re very weak.Don´t forget about the Quen sign to help you absorb the damage of her counter attack, and do you have specter oil and thunderbolt potion?...they help a lot.



I'm finally going to Skellige, it only took 52 hours >_>



I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
JGarret said:
 


I think she keeps regenerating health as long as the three clones are alive, so it´s imperative to get rid of them as quickly as you can, at least they´re very weak.Don´t forget about the Quen sign to help you absorb the damage of her counter attack, and do you have specter oil and thunderbolt potion?...they help a lot.

Yeah I got the clones quick, they were very easy. I used the oil (but 10% doesn't help that much) and thunderbolt, yet at 3 doses that ran out long before I gave up, as well as swallow. It must have either been the level difference or a bug. I still fumble at switching between signs, I wish I could map quen and yrden to separate buttons. Non pausing radial menus are my kryptonite. (so didn't use quen after nearly dying trying to switch signs while backing away)

I need to check the display options page, I might have turned off too much that I can't see the health bar. I was just checking up on the quest I did last night, and I did not have a boss health bar like on the picture

Checking on you tube I should have had a health bar with Jenny too. Maybe it's linked to the quest objective that's displayed under the map. (I turned that off) I prefer a minimalistic HUD yet would stll like to see if what I do has any effect at all :)



SvennoJ said:

Yeah, I should turn the question marks back on. I turned them off cause it made it feel too much like a todo list, yet I see that the Serpentine swords I worked hard for are pretty useless already. Less than an hour into Velen I already found a standard steel sword that's better :/

...

I played the Witcher 2 with keyboard and mouse. It was clunky too, but the camera is a lot easier to keep under control with the mouse, which made the combat far more enjoyable. On PS4 I constantly have to adjust with the view going sideways or the camera going behind things.

...too much chatter around here, yesterday I said "screw 60fps, not waiting for new GPU", so I'm playing it again...

Had to turn on ? too - I'm just starting Velen now, so I've only really seen White Orchard, but only thing that really rubs me the wrong is game's topography - open-word RPGs really benefit from, let's say, compressed geography for free-roaming, and Witcher 3, so far, seems to be of somewhat more realistic variety - so playing without ? is a bit of a "comb the desert" affair, especially with all the woods everywhere.

As for controls - unfortunatelly you're stuck with them on PS4, kb/m is, at least for me, really good on PC.



56 hours in and I'm at level 20. I just completed an amazing secondary quest on Skillege (lovely scenery btw). I'm really impressed and WRPGS are going to be judged completely differently from now on. Random fetch quests just wont cut it, neither will bland NPCs.



I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Assuming you're playing on PC then Subiya? That's pretty damn gorgeous I have to say. The attention to detail is immense.



 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Im really disappointed, this game is buggy as hell, too much game breaking bugs, thé game has been released too early

I cant advance in thé story because of this fucking bug, its really a shame to released thé game with such huge bug on a major quest -_-

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/38812-BUG-Stuck-on-loading-screen-at-the-end-of-King-s-Gambit-quest

Reviewers really rushed their reviews, thé game in this state doesnt deserve such score


So be aware : wait for thé patch before doing thé king gambit quest, so wait to do thé main quests because you could be affected by a major bug



Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

 PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m