Quantcast
Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Forums - Politics Discussion - Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Mr_No said:
Conegamer said:
Tachikoma said:
I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Pretty much. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear rumblings about this in the next week.

I'm all for Clarkson, Hammond and May leaving BBC for another network, but how much of Top Gear is owned by BBC? The name, the image, the facilities... is there something that could prevent them from setting shop on another channel? Because Top Gear has been from BBC since the late 70's.

Indeed it has, and if Clarkson, Hammond and May go off to another channel to do something similar, it won't be the first time it has happened in the show's history. Top Gear got cancelled in 2001 - the presenters at the time moved to another channel and  continued it on under the new name Fifth Gear.

The BBC then relaunched Top Gear in the new format that we know today.



Around the Network

I was hoping that Microsoft would partner with them again for Forza 6, but with this whole fracas going on, I'm not sure that the chances of that are good. Would have been nice though, loved the Top Gear stuff in Forza 5.



Xenostar said:
JEMC said:

C'mon, there's a third scenario that's also be the most likely to happen:

3) The BBC realizes that they can't run the show as it was until now and, after keeping the show on hiatus for a year, they launch the new Top Gear with a new set, new hosts and a different take on how they show the cars. The show will be different enough to avoid direct comparisons, although they'll keep the same test track and will still put the guest stars on an affordable car, which most likely will also be new.


Most likeley outcome, the 3 presenters go to another channel do the exact same show under a differnt name, BBC version of top gear relaunches and dies after one series, as it was never about the cars it was all about the 3 men doing stupid things.

Well, the show started being about cars, but once they started doing their "buy a "specific type of" car for under XXX and meet in XXX where you'll face some tests", designed to humiliate the cars and its drivers in the process, it became clear that the chemistry between the trio was also an asset that they had to use, and the specials proved that.

So they show ended being about the super cars and the gibes between the three of them.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Well, the show started being about cars, but once they started doing their "buy a "specific type of" car for under XXX and meet in XXX where you'll face some tests", designed to humiliate the cars and its drivers in the process, it became clear that the chemistry between the trio was also an asset that they had to use, and the specials proved that.

So they show ended being about the super cars and the gibes between the three of them.


Yeah ive watched it along time, im just saying its poplarity is less to do with the cars and more to do with the antics the trio get up to. I know many that watch it and have absolutley no interest in cars. 



Yeah, for me personally Top Gear is more about the antics of Jeremy, James, and Richard than the cars. Of course I'm not the biggest car enthusiast out there, but I do like cars alot, so that speaks volumes about just how good the dynamic is between the 3 hosts. The specials are particularly great, I love the pranks they pull on each other, breaking air conditioning, stealing parts of each others' cars, tying the horn into the brakes, etc. And of course torturing Richard with Genesis songs

So I personally hope that BBC either realizes they made a mistake and rehires Jeremy, or that the 3 of them all leave and get a new show together on another network. I might watch a Top Gear reboot with new hosts depending on who they choose, but I'll definitely watch a new show with Jeremy, James, and Richard.



Around the Network
Xenostar said:
JEMC said:

Well, the show started being about cars, but once they started doing their "buy a "specific type of" car for under XXX and meet in XXX where you'll face some tests", designed to humiliate the cars and its drivers in the process, it became clear that the chemistry between the trio was also an asset that they had to use, and the specials proved that.

So they show ended being about the super cars and the gibes between the three of them.


Yeah ive watched it along time, im just saying its poplarity is less to do with the cars and more to do with the antics the trio get up to. I know many that watch it and have absolutley no interest in cars. 

Agree.

To me, they act like brothers, always messing with each other, making fun of whoever makes a fail to the point of almost being cruel and yet, whenever one of them gets in real trouble, the other two don't hesitate to help... only to make fun of him later on.

And that's something that you can not make, it just happens.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

lol to people saying he beat up a guy (who wasn't even beaten up) and what if this was you're father or brother being hit. Frankly we don't fully know what happened, but what I know is from where I come from if you continue to piss me off and run you're mouth, you'll get hit or we'll fight. Then after everything is said and done, we shake hands and agree to be men or women about it.

Just logged in to say this.



FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

NanakiXI said:
lol to people saying he beat up a guy (who wasn't even beaten up) and what if this was you're father or brother being hit. Frankly we don't fully know what happened, but what I know is from where I come from if you continue to piss me off and run you're mouth, you'll get hit or we'll fight. Then after everything is said and done, we shake hands and agree to be men or women about it.

Just logged in to say this.

What we do know is that he has a history of being an  aashole to those he works with and his guests (on and off screen) and has punched people before.

Yep, great guy.

 

I'm all for laying one down when it's needed (Buzz Aldrin punching the reporter that hounded him was one of the all time greatest) but punching a guy for not having hot food ready after a show isn't standing  your ground, it's grounds for termination.  End of story, or show. or career or what have you.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

If that guy has a huge ego and filled with arrogance, treat his coworkers like trash to the point where he verbaly and physically assault one over hot food, that guy deserves to be fired.

He seems to be a terrible human being that think is superior to everybody, I can't believe ppl are defending him just because he is entertaining. Speaks alot of how egocentric our society has become ''It does'nt matter if he is terrible to everybody, aslong as I AM entertained by him''



 

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

 

Metrium said:
If that guy has a huge ego and filled with arrogance, treat his coworkers like trash to the point where he verbaly and physically assault one over hot food, that guy deserves to be fired.

He seems to be a terrible human being that think is superior to everybody, I can't believe ppl are defending him just because he is entertaining. Speaks alot of how egocentric our society has become ''It does'nt matter if he is terrible to everybody, aslong as I AM entertained by him''


This is quite a leap in judgement. Clarkson himself is the one who reported the incident and he apologized.