Quantcast
Upgraded my Xbone with a 5TB external HDD

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Upgraded my Xbone with a 5TB external HDD

Hiku said:

I checked your model earlier (haven't replied to your post yet, but I'll get to it) and from what I gather yours is power cable driven and 7200 rpm. If you recall, we were talking about how USB cable driven ones generally were 5400. I was under the impression that you implied yours was USB cable driven since you didn't clarify that it was indeed power cable driven.

As for this one, I didn't look into it further than the comments at the bottom of the amazon page, where someone said its 5400 rpm. He linked to this PC mag here, that claims it's 5200: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400958,00.asp
Perhaps they're wrong though.


I think it is 5400. Box doesn't say.







VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
pbroy said:

I get worried about those little portable drives overheating.

Had a small 250 GB Western Digital for like 5 years now. Used it for Wii backups, as well as backup PC storage in another partition. Never any problems, other than I guess speed is much less than an internal drive. 



pbroy said:

I get worried about those little portable drives overheating.

Had a small 250 GB Western Digital for like 5 years now. Used it for Wii backups, as well as backup PC storage in another partition. Never any problems, other than I guess speed is much less than an internal drive. 



@hiku Mine has a usb plugged into the xbox one and it has power adapter to power the harddrive which is what OP has. Its 7200 The link that you gave me , does not have the hard drive that i have. Where i buy my electronics from , they all said it was 7200 and usb 3.0



super6646 said:

Lol I use the same one for my XB1! 5 TB of space should last me forever!

I like how it looks like a cute little baby Xbox One on top.



 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
keroncoward said:


The ones that need an outlet are better. They have another power source other than USB so the transfer rates are better and the load times should be faster i imagine.

Really? If that's the case I don't feel as bad about the other brand. I just hate the extra wires as the whole Xbox One with the cable box looks like a massive fire hazard. 

I would prefer a separate power supply.  They are one of the most common things to go out.  And it wouldn't be putting extra stress on the Xbox One's power supply.

But that's probably just me being extra paranoid.



 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

 

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
super6646 said:

Lol I use the same one for my XB1! 5 TB of space should last me forever!

I like how it looks like a cute little baby Xbox One on top.

XD. Though I admit I will have to agree.



Normchacho said:

I don't have an Xbox One...but I did buy a 2 TB external and then remove the HDD itself and put it in my PS4. Took me maybe 15 minutes from taking the HDD out of the box to when the PS4 was good to go again.

Really no idea why Sony or Microsoft thought 500 gigs was going to be enough...


They were trying to keep the bottom line low. I can pretty much guarantee you I own more games than you and I have not had much of a problem with this. Sony made it very easy to upgrade the HDD in a PS4. An external is just to slow and I would not deal with it, USB 3.0 is only about half as fast as a SATA connection (in reality, on paper it is closer than that)



rolltide101x said:
Normchacho said:

I don't have an Xbox One...but I did buy a 2 TB external and then remove the HDD itself and put it in my PS4. Took me maybe 15 minutes from taking the HDD out of the box to when the PS4 was good to go again.

Really no idea why Sony or Microsoft thought 500 gigs was going to be enough...


They were trying to keep the bottom line low. I can pretty much guarantee you I own more games than you and I have not had much of a problem with this. Sony made it very easy to upgrade the HDD in a PS4. An external is just to slow and I would not deal with it, USB 3.0 is only about half as fast as a SATA connection (in reality, on paper it is closer than that)

huh?

I dont think thats true.

All of my games are installed on the external HDD (the xbox one makes that your default unless you select otherwise I think) and all load faster now.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


Nice stuff! I hope that can last the rest of this generation.

But serious....take that warning sticker off your xbox one!!! lol it's one of my pet peeves (if its considered one) xD