Quantcast
The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

0815user said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
Ow! All I really wanted to get a good third person shooter.....

so, what's hindering you giving this one a try? never liked a game that got mixed reviews?


The problem with The Order is that it's a point-and-click adventure with shooting parts.



Around the Network

Ok I played TO at a friend's place yesterday. We didn't finished the game by lack of time (it was getting late) but we played a good 5 hours.

I can say I understand the reviews and mostly agree with the scores. I love the graphics and the settings. The setting was the reason I was drawned to this game but gameplay has to be top notch for me to enjoy a game and that's where this is getting ugly.

It's not that it's flawed, I think it's because of their gameplay philosophy. Almost anything you do in this game is an event trigger. Jumping, evading, melee fighting. This is annoying imo because you can't execute these unless it is scripted. Also you watch cinematics way more than anything else. When you get control of your character it's not necessarily because you'll be fighting. Sometimes you just walk in closed areas then you get to climb here and there then more cinematics. When you finaly encounter enemies to fight it lasts for about 6-10 minutes in another closed area then you are invited to again more cinematics. Killing enemies provides no satisfaction at all as they are pretty much dumb. The way they spawn and just pop their heads up and down feels like playing a Time Crisis type of game mixed with a tower defense game.

I didn't mind the QTEs that much other than when we face the Licans but the story was entertaining. I think RAD should've spent more time making gameplay mechanics and opening fighting areas. A multiplayer mode and larger scale battles would've help a lot imo.

I know some people will tell me not every games has to be the same and that's true but ehh reviews are a matter of opinion and since games are leaning



Ok, from what I have read on the reviews and the topic..

It is not a bad game, but an average one, too short for 60 U$, with many QTEs and nothing really outstanding beyond the graphics.

Looks like the best option is to wait for a price drop, as many could enjoy the title but may not want to pay the full retail price for it.



flagstaad said:
Ok, from what I have read on the reviews and the topic..

It is not a bad game, but an average one, too short for 60 U$, with many QTEs and nothing really outstanding beyond the graphics.

Looks like the best option is to wait for a price drop, as many could enjoy the title but may not want to pay the full retail price for it.

For those who haven't gotten a PS4 yet, they can technically get The Order for $30. Amazon is currently offering a PS4 along with TLOU and TO for $429.



flagstaad said:
Ok, from what I have read on the reviews and the topic..

It is not a bad game, but an average one, too short for 60 U$, with many QTEs and nothing really outstanding beyond the graphics.

Looks like the best option is to wait for a price drop, as many could enjoy the title but may not want to pay the full retail price for it.


IMHO game is not average it's good but I understand people entitled to get more from their money when buying games.

Those people should purchase this game, new, when it's at $30 - £30, to support the developper and not buy it used.  



Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
Kerotan said:
Just completed the order. It did some things better than any game before it. In reality it should be priced at $50. Hopefully if it gets a sequel it's double in length.


eh eh I spent 59 euro for it, and I'm not gonna finish it in less than a week, I will explore every square centimeter of each chapter, slowly :)    Graphics and atmosphere are great, the aiming system is very precise, gameplay is cool. I love the sound of weapons, and so far I'm enjoying it.


I explored and all and it took about 9 hours on medium.  I preordered the game on my usa account ages ago meaning it only cost me €40. So I don't mind it being short so much. 



Jazz2K said:

Ok I played TO at a friend's place yesterday. We didn't finished the game by lack of time (it was getting late) but we played a good 5 hours.

I can say I understand the reviews and mostly agree with the scores. I love the graphics and the settings. The setting was the reason I was drawned to this game but gameplay has to be top notch for me to enjoy a game and that's where this is getting ugly.

It's not that it's flawed, I think it's because of their gameplay philosophy. Almost anything you do in this game is an event trigger. Jumping, evading, melee fighting. This is annoying imo because you can't execute these unless it is scripted. Also you watch cinematics way more than anything else. When you get control of your character it's not necessarily because you'll be fighting. Sometimes you just walk in closed areas then you get to climb here and there then more cinematics. When you finaly encounter enemies to fight it lasts for about 6-10 minutes in another closed area then you are invited to again more cinematics. Killing enemies provides no satisfaction at all as they are pretty much dumb. The way they spawn and just pop their heads up and down feels like playing a Time Crisis type of game mixed with a tower defense game.

I didn't mind the QTEs that much other than when we face the Licans but the story was entertaining. I think RAD should've spent more time making gameplay mechanics and opening fighting areas. A multiplayer mode and larger scale battles would've help a lot imo.

I know some people will tell me not every games has to be the same and that's true but ehh reviews are a matter of opinion and since games are leaning


They are a psp developer so I think they did well enough for their first game On ps4.  Hopefully they get to do a sequel 



I just want to make one more observation, then I'll move on from The Order topics, finish the game tonight and be done with the whole thing. I was expecting so much from this game, it is only reasonable that I am very disappointed.

Story, graphics, sound, voice acting, setting, lore....everything is top notch, and I really support that. That's why I would have loved if this game were a Beyond 2 Souls/The Walking Dead type of game. Absorb the story, enjoy the acting and graphics, perhaps have a few branching decisions....
I just feel that the shooting part is extraneous. It is intermittent, never lasts long, it's not very exciting...I would have enjoyed it more had it been just a few QTEs TWD-style. Now it just feels like a chore...
That is why I will continue on easy (hopefully it allows changing difficulties mid-game). I just want to get done with the shooting parts as fast as possible, so I can enjoy the story more. And I do not mind that it will make the game shorter a bit, I am certain it will make the entire experience more enjoyable.



Sweep said:

IMHO game is not average it's good but I understand people entitled to get more from their money when buying games.

Those people should purchase this game, new, when it's at $30 - £30, to support the developper and not buy it used.  

I usually use Metacritic to define my purchase speed, and I always buy new. For example a game that I am interested gets 80+ day one purchase (or at least week 1), if the game gets between 70 and 80, I buy it on the first months maybe at full price maybe not, but thinking about my wallet a liitle more, between 60 and 70 I will likely wait for a price drop as I may enjoy it but is not a sure bet, so its better to bet a smaller amount, bellow 60 I don't think I have purchased any game on that range...ok, just once and out pure morbid curiosity it was bad, not broken but pretty bad.



Burek said:
0815user said:

so, what's hindering you giving this one a try? never liked a game that got mixed reviews?


The problem with The Order is that it's a point-and-click adventure with shooting parts.

wouldn't call it point-and-click. i'd say it's a clear follow the red line adventure with reaction test and shooting gallery moments.